Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM

Default Freedom Mobile

Anyone have any experience with Freedom Mobile in Edmonton or anyone else in Alberta?
I am thinking of switching. So I am wondering about reception in Edmonton and southern Alberta, as well as customer service.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:58 PM

Stay away .!!! Service sucks bad .. They dont have coverage in downtown calgary .. pretty bad.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

Freedom is Shaw isn't it? If you hit their site, coverage is only through Edmonton and Calgary, nothing outside.

https://www.freedommobile.ca/network...erage/coverage
Old 03-10-2018, 09:12 PM

I switched. 30 bucks a month for ten months then to 40. 2 gigs of data unlimited talk and text. Receptions good but out of network area (roaming) at .15 cents a minute just outside calgary. As long as you're a city user no issues. 30 bucks! Cheap as chips!

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 09:35 PM

I switched our family over at Christmas. 3 Iphone 8s and one Pixel2. % gb data per line. Unlimited talk/text in Canada & US. $265 month includes taxes. It's not for everyone coverage wise, but if you live in the city it is no big deal. It should only get better.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:03 PM

Didn't realize the coverage was that bad. Good to know.

I won't be switching.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 PM

Was with wind/freedom since the year they started, still had their promo"unlimited everything for $35". Even lived in Calgary for a year, didn't bother changing the phone #. Yes, coverage was worse (and still is) than"big 3", but hearing what people were paying for their phones... I was OK with slightly subpar service.
Last summer Shaw added LTE to their Network. Service has gotten better, reception improved, speed... Things are looking up for Freedom in my opinion...
But, having started working out of town (again), i was paying almost as much as my plan for roaming charges. And big 3 decided to have this sudden promo right before the new year. So i switched... Same $60/month that i had been paying, but better reception.

One thing Freedom has it has better than others - roaming in the US. Went there last November, additional $20/month gave me 2000 min, buttload of data and sms. In didn't even think about limiting my usage there. Price from Bell/Telus was somewhat ridiculous.

Bottom line... If you want budget plan with "pretty good but but perfect service" - Freedom is viable option. Have to be City dweller, or be ok with occasional roaming charges.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Just noticed OP lives in Edmonton... Here's the coverage area based on my experience... North-West - Costco in St. Albert. South - Nisku, West - I think around Acheson. East - Sherwood Park Eastern boundary. I think I've had service in Ft. Sask.

Dead zones - downtown Jasper Ave, dead center of it. 109 street and up towards West - no problems. I think there's a dead zone in the Whitemud around ski hill, but very small.