Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatjimi View Post
I am a quiet lurker on the site and enjoy it immensely !
I don't comment often.
It is my opinion that Dope Smokers don't fully realize that there habit effects others.
I used to smoke and enjoyed it, especially while fishing.
It has been a long time since then.
Pot now is 20 times more potent than in the past.
The last time I smoked, I lost the ability to speak for 4 hours, PARANOID..
I think that Sundance is a bit of a NIMBY.
Most of the Dopers just go outside and have a Puff and then back indoors.
I could be wrong..
But with what is really going on in the world..Chill Out Dude..
If you live within a community, you have to accept that you cannot control everything in your immediate horizon.
Might be time to move or find a better way to live amongst the others...
Getting mad and having it effect your attitude is NOT going to help.
I Never said I have a problem neighbor. You need to read the post. The thread was about pot is coming. Other people don't like the stank. Rather that have neighbors fighting is there a tool you can bring up to fix the problem. Chatting over a beer or lemonade and staying friendly neighbors is the key.

Lots of people posted that they care less if you smoke up. They don't want it wafting in on a hot night with the window open.

Doesn't sound like you can contribute a solution.

Thanks anyway.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Good on you, you are bigger than most.
Asthma is not something to mess with. I don't have fires much. Don't have them if windy.

They are nice...however my current neighbors also have fire pits. Lots in the area.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
Nowhere in my post did I suggest that in any way.

Care to clarify how you managed to interpret that?

Stop trying to control everything, it's often a sign of deep insecurity.

Maybe it's time for some soul searching.

I've heard that there is something that can help mediate that. PM me if you'd like more info.
You said "we are doing the right thing". We as in the pot community is the standard reply out there.

My apologies if I interpreted your post. Cheers

Sun
Old 03-11-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
No one has constructive ideas because people have been smoking pot since before anyone here was born. How many times do you think arrests are made or tickets are handed out for someone smoking a joint at home? What makes you think they will do anything about it now. Alberta's laws say you can smoke it anywhere you can smoke a cigarette. If you came to my house and told me my cigarette smoke bothered you while I was sitting on my deck I'd tell you to pound sand. According to the law you can smoke a joint on the sidewalk anywhere that isn't within the restricted distance of a doorway.

Like I said if it's not a problem now it won't be when the law is past. I don't like dudes covered info axe spray or women douced info perfume but I deal with it because it's their right.
Your consideration of others is a sad example of the state we are in our communities.

Oh well. Sad. But oh well.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:19 PM

Sundance, FYI, you are in the majority. City of Calgary survey.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4021740/c...urvey-results/

A letter to your City Councilor might be in order.
And easier on the blood pressure.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Your consideration of others is a sad example of the state we are in our communities.

Oh well. Sad. But oh well.
The same could be said about you trying to limit a person's legal activities on their own land. I live in the country because I don't want neighbours. As long as what they are doing is lawful and they aren't being deliberately obnoxious why would you have a problem with it. I don't like the smell of some ethnic foods but when I lived in the city going to school I didn't bang on apartment doors.

In short. You'll just have to deal with it
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
once this manure becomes legal, I will save so much money.
I move when some entitled oblivious pothead sits beside us in a restaurant or theatre.
When it becomes legal and these rank idiots are stinking up everything up I will spend more time out on the ocean away from them and less time trapped behind doors.
It's unfortunate for us that they do not care about anyone else and do not care at all that the smell offends others.
If I wanted to smell skunk anus I would go hunting them.
Skunk anussmells like poopI think

Your right though they stink but why like a skunk the worst smelling critter on earth, pot growers are going to have to come up with a bubble gum scent or something.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-11-2018, 07:35 PM

Tire fire

In order to be a smart azz, you have to be smart otherwise you are just an azz.

You're offended.... I think it is funny and that is why I am happier than you.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:09 PM

Every time you smell the green, rush over to your neighbours and ask for a toke. After a few days of this, they'll be smoking inside with the curtains drawn, doing everything they can to stop their greedy neighbour from smoking their stash.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:16 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Skunk anussmells like poopI think

Your right though they stink but why like a skunk the worst smelling critter on earth, pot growers are going to have to come up with a bubble gum scent or something.

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/print...heck=721674191

LOL !
Old 03-12-2018, 07:23 AM

Talking

Sundancefisher....... maybe get something going like, um, tuning one of these in your lane way ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9L3bllEbm4

Old 03-12-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
You need to read the OP.

There already is a bylaw.

I am asking what can outdoor pot smokers do so as to be respectful of neighbors and the bylaw.
About the only thing they can do is use a vaporizer or go out and smoke in the back alley. Probably the only thing you can do is ask those doing it and mention that you would rather not smell it all the time. Most reasonable people will probably say "sorry I didn't think that it bothered you" and smoke some where else. But like the thread on excessive diesel idling there are those that are unreasonable and will continue doing it out of spite and then you'll have to learn to tolerate it.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
In a perfect world if you have a good neighbor chat it out.

Their are ways to remove smoke.

Otherwise the Calgary bylaw does support residents who don't wish to be skunked into shuttting windows and / or going indoors.

https://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerk...f?noredirect=1

Smoke and Dust
42. A Person shall not engage in any activity that is likely to allow smoke, dust or other airborne matter that may disturb any other Person to escape the Premises without taking reasonable precautions to ensure that the smoke, dust or other airborne matter does not escape the Premises.

Do people have any experience with cutting down smoke? What products work best.

Maybe sharing can help people planning to smoke pot outdoors respect their neighbors.

Cheers.

Sun

Google gave this.

https://www.amazon.com/Smoke-Buddy-0.../dp/B00478UIB2
Does the City of Calgary not sand roads creating literally a ton of airborne matter which reduces air quality for all ?

First world problems will never be solved.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:36 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
About the only thing they can do is use a vaporizer or go out and smoke in the back alley. Probably the only thing you can do is ask those doing it and mention that you would rather not smell it all the time. Most reasonable people will probably say "sorry I didn't think that it bothered you" and smoke some where else. But like the thread on excessive diesel idling there are those that are unreasonable and will continue doing it out of spite and then you'll have to learn to tolerate it.
Lol good memory!

'my money my truck my fuel my yard' blah blah blah

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-12-2018, 02:36 PM

Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
If you have someone smoking pot next door and stinking up your yard what do you do?
I'd throw my empty beer cans over the fence!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM

One question. How often in your 50(or whatever) years, has pot smoke wafted into your home through your window from neighbors?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
One question. How often in your 50(or whatever) years, has pot smoke wafted into your home through your window from neighbors?
I honestly can say in my 45 years....NEVER...and I do not smoke it either

Sorry, thought you were asking all of us
Old 03-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Twice in 45 years. Wasn't a neighbor though but the sil. If you want to talk about barking dog noise well that's a different story.

I suppose if people are that worried about it they can put some kind of positive air system in their house.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
For me...

Once in an apartment building. Never in a house.

I know a few homes nearby it would be frequently if the neighbors were asked.

I do find the odor to be strong within the distance of 1-2 yards downwind. or 1 house when no wind.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Twice in 45 years. Wasn't a neighbor though but the sil. If you want to talk about barking dog noise well that's a different story.

I suppose if people are that worried about it they can put some kind of positive air system in their house.
Most people don't have air conditioners. So the main problem is on nice days when people want a breeze or evenings after a hot day and people want the cool breeze.

In the winter...not so much a problem.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
More nights every summer in the last 10 years. One self professed Jamaican neighbor has since moved back to Winnipeg, lived across and down the street in a mobile home for a few years. He moved here, lost his job, then proceeded to lose what was left of his mind doing drugs nonstop. He lost his house and declared bankruptcy, unable to get a job other than stocking shelves at wal-mart, which was a 70 mile drive for $12 per hour. Rough on a 45 year old.

There are other losers in a trailer ~150' behind our place across a huge yard, of course the wife likes to sleep with the windows open all year round. You can tell when they are home on the perfect windless night we all love, because the rank stench of skunk anus comes drifting in every nice night. I say losers because they are, I have stories that would disgust everyone on here. We have been called there by 911 far too many times for self inflicted stupidity.

It is actually the same trailer where the truck thieves are living in the 5th wheel. They are all just cream of the crop neighbors.

So yes, we smell that feces far too often.

I have since put in A/C but sometimes we like the windows open, it is our prerogative is it not?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Wow! a village with a population of 180 has had 2 trucks stolen house fires PO broken into several times home to numerous drug dealers and thieves all the past month, You need to move into somewhere safe "Paradise" valley's not living up to its name.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Wow! a village with a population of 180 has had 2 trucks stolen house fires PO broken into several times home to numerous drug dealers and thieves all the past month, You need to move into somewhere safe "Paradise" valley's not living up to its name.
Wasn't all in the last month, but who cares.

Actually fires were another town in January, 1 here feb. Post office many months ago. Never heard anything about any drug dealers, care to go into details on that one?

And how much is happening in Lloydminster?

Lloydminster is # 14 of 229 Worst Places to live in Canada so far 2018.

http://www.macleans.ca/canadas-most-dangerous-places/

I am fine here, thanks. When I move it will be to Hawaii.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most people don't have air conditioners. So the main problem is on nice days when people want a breeze or evenings after a hot day and people want the cool breeze.

In the winter...not so much a problem.
Well I offered a solution but I think that no matter what you're not gonna be satisfied. Seems that there are some people in the world that are not happy unless they can make those around them miserable.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
In a perfect world if you have a good neighbor chat it out.

Their are ways to remove smoke.

Otherwise the Calgary bylaw does support residents who don't wish to be skunked into shuttting windows and / or going indoors.

https://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerk...f?noredirect=1

Smoke and Dust
42. A Person shall not engage in any activity that is likely to allow smoke, dust or other airborne matter that may disturb any other Person to escape the Premises without taking reasonable precautions to ensure that the smoke, dust or other airborne matter does not escape the Premises.

Do people have any experience with cutting down smoke? What products work best.

Maybe sharing can help people planning to smoke pot outdoors respect their neighbors.

Cheers.

Sun

Inhale deeply and chill for a change? I'd take pot smokers a long ways over drunken loudmouths sitting around their firepit any day of the week, the smell of a diesel, a barking dog, or a cat that sheets in my garden.

All in all? First world problem.

Last edited by 270person; 03-12-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:06 PM

Default Had this problem for years

Got a seller/user on the east side and a medicinal user on the west side and they can only smoke it outside for some reason. Both moved in right after we built our dream retirement home. Every afternoon and evening all summer long so no open windows for us and the grandkids have to play inside. City cares not. Neither do they. In fact the guy on the east side has set up a "lounge" (old gutted motorhome) for his buddies and testers in the back yard.

Our dream has become a nightmare during the spring, summer and fall months. We were really enjoying the cold weather this year.

Now that it is soon to become legal, we have no hope of fresh air on the warm days.

Anyone want to move to Lethbridge?

Last edited by oldjeda; 03-12-2018 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-12-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post
Got a seller/user on the east side and a medicinal user on the west side and they can only smoke it outside for some reason. Both moved in right after we built our dream retirement home. Every afternoon and evening all summer long so no open windows for us and the grandkids have to play inside. City cares not. Neither do they. In fact the guy on the east side has set up a "lounge" (old gutted motorhome) for his buddies and testers in the back yard.

Our dream has become a nightmare during the spring, summer and fall months. We were really enjoying the cold weather this year.

Now that it is soon to become legal, we have no hope of fresh air on the warm days.

Anyone want to move to Lethbridge?

Make friends with the local firefighters. Have lots of practise nights putting out fires. Where there is smoke there is fire

Old 03-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
That would be the smart thing to do right? Like what does a place like that even have going for it? Some people crack me up.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:02 PM

[QUOTE=sns2;3748696]Since becoming a mod, I think I'd likely join em
QUOTE]

I like your sense of humour..
Closed Thread