Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2014, 04:30 PM

Default Rules around exploring rivers and streams

Planning on spending quite a bit of time this summer exploring rivers and streams south (mostly west and some east) of Calgary, but would like to know the DO's and DON'Ts of this regarding private property, general bank access, leaving vehicle on side of road, etc...general etiquette is welcome as well...the idea is to explore and discover not stalk and hover.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:47 PM

The banks up to the high water mark are crown land (this does not include the high water mark from flood years.

Usually, you only HAVE to ask if you're accessing the creek across private property. It's still nice to ask, most people will say yes, and some will tell you to watch out for the bull in the north quarter and stuff like that, which is nice.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
The banks up to the high water mark are crown land (this does not include the high water mark from flood years.
There is the odd exception. Generally, you'll be good with this. Also road allowances generally are public land too. County maps are a good investment outside of the Forest/Grazing reserve land.

Quote:
Usually, you only HAVE to ask if you're accessing the creek across private property. It's still nice to ask, most people will say yes, and some will tell you to watch out for the bull in the north quarter and stuff like that, which is nice.
You only need to ask when accessing via private land. You do not need to ask if you are using a public access on public waters. Asking in these cases likely leads to the idea that people own the water. It may be nice to inform them of your intentions to use the public resource, i.e. if you think they may be concerned about the vehicle left on the side of the road. If someone gives you a hard time, it is good to know what your rights are.

http://esrd.alberta.ca/lands-forests...oundaries.aspx

http://forthefly.wordpress.com/2011/...ruthprevailed/

Last edited by EP2; 04-14-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Great, thanks gents...I'll read through and educate myself. Most of the exploring is common sense but I'd like to know if I'm ever in the wrong and just avoid a messy situation.

Tight lines!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:20 AM

In my experience when in doubt talk to the landowners. Even if you are with in your legal right a little respect can go a long way.

It can come in handy to have a good relationship with landowners because it can make access to these waters even easier. It is nice to have permission to cut through private land rather than walk the creek or river through unproductive waters to reach the good spots.

In my opinion a little conversation can go along ways. From doing this in the past it has also led to me getting permission to hunt land many get denied access to.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM

You can access river/streams from public bridges and stay within the "historic" high water mark. Some land owners try and block the access next to public bridges but legally are not allowed to. Best bet is always to talk to the land owner, but that is not always possible. Plus a few have bad reputations (threatening with guns) and try to say they have bed/bank rights when they do not (i.e., Copithornes on the JP and the "Sara's" land on the Crow)!! Obviously some people show very little respect when it comes to access and litter, etc., and this has ruined it for all the respectful anglers!!

-Confucius
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
You can access river/streams from public bridges and stay within the "historic" high water mark. Some land owners try and block the access next to public bridges but legally are not allowed to. Best bet is always to talk to the land owner, but that is not always possible. Plus a few have bad reputations (threatening with guns) and try to say they have bed/bank rights when they do not (i.e., Copithornes on the JP and the "Sara's" land on the Crow)!! Obviously some people show very little respect when it comes to access and litter, etc., and this has ruined it for all the respectful anglers!!
...your remarks remind me of incident 40 years ago when old Marshall Copithorne threatened to ride us down on the Jumpingpound. We stood our ground but I never did care for that bunch after that.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:50 PM

We live within 100 feet of a river that sees a lot of use, what we find the most annoying is when people decide to have a wiener roast or tip a few beers on the gravel bars right in front of the house. Nothing like our dogs barking at them for hours to make our day enjoyable.

PS~~don't come above the high water mark and use the private fire pit and picnic table either without asking....some peoples kids. Discharging firearms isn't cool either.

Just some of the things we have experienced.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM

Yikes, I guess all kinds of folks out there you'll run into but I'm a bit shocked at some of the comments and examples from either side. I'm all about mutual respect and keeping things clean so everyone can enjoy.

I'm sure the garbage culprits and tresspassers aren't too happy when they fish out an old tangled line and are the first ones to pick a fight when soneone is on their property or parking spot so why be part of the problem...I don't get it...but I guess they don't either.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips. I'm looking forward to walking the bow and old man rivers this season. Got my spin cast ready but will also be learning the fly rod and see how it goes.