Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-07-2022, 07:17 PM

Default Non ethanol fuel in southern alberta

Now that all pump gas has ethanol in it, is there anyplace that sells ethanol free gas for small engines and 2 stroke engines? Or am I removing ethanol myself?

I'm not interested in using 100LL av gas in my chainsaw due to lead. I'm looking for gas in the 89-94 grange with no ethanol.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:31 AM

If I want non ethanol fuel, I just buy premium. Go to your local gas station and ask if their premium is ethanol free.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:43 AM

Just typed ethanol in the search bar, and found this as the third hit.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=Ethanol

We’ve been down this road a few times.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-08-2022, 05:45 AM

Shell V power Nitro premium is touted to be ethanol free and is the only gas I use in my small engines

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-08-2022, 06:14 AM

Depending how much fuel you go through why not buy premix? They will be minimum 90 octane and have, not make a mess of your carb and have a shelf life measured in years not months. Sure costs more but it's a superior product.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
If I want non ethanol fuel, I just buy premium. Go to your local gas station and ask if their premium is ethanol free.
I've asked a bunch of stations lately, and as of Aug 1, 2022, all stations' premium has ethanol in it. Federal mandate.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Shell V power Nitro premium is touted to be ethanol free and is the only gas I use in my small engines
That changed Aug 1, 2022 by federal mandate.
Old 08-08-2022, 07:54 AM

Not familiar with such a change. Cannot find any details on any mandated changes that would have taken effect. I would take anything said by a retail location employee with a grain of salt.

Lots of locations with ethanol free premium gas in southern Alberta. Just do a search.
Old 08-08-2022, 08:17 AM

Both shell stations I’ve stopped at in Edmonton in the last couple weeks have new stickers on their pumps saying that all fuel grades now contain ethanol.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 AM

I stopped at a Shell gas station yesterday to top off the truck before heading home and the sticker on the pump said "may contain up to 10% ethanol". It didn't specify which grade so I assume it applies to all their fuel.

Seems like even Shell is getting away from the Ethanol free gas too, probably due to the Federal direction mentioned above? Ridiculous.....
Old 08-08-2022, 11:06 AM

Why not just use a shot of octane boost in reg gas? sounds like all gas has some ethanol in it..
Old 08-08-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Why not just use a shot of octane boost in reg gas? sounds like all gas has some ethanol in it..
I'm not the OP but I think he's worried about ethanol breaking down into water. And you do not want water in your gas tank.
Old 08-08-2022, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
I stopped at a Shell gas station yesterday to top off the truck before heading home and the sticker on the pump said "may contain up to 10% ethanol". It didn't specify which grade so I assume it applies to all their fuel.

Seems like even Shell is getting away from the Ethanol free gas too, probably due to the Federal direction mentioned above? Ridiculous.....
That's only for regular gas - the premium V power is ethanol free, always has been and I see no change to that. Still ethanol free as of yesterday ....
Old 08-08-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That's only for regular gas - the premium V power is ethanol free, always has been and I see no change to that. Still ethanol free as of yesterday ....
EVERY gas station I stopped at last week said that premium not had ethanol in it. I think I stopped at over 20 in Lethbridge and area.
Old 08-08-2022, 03:54 PM

I just talked to a friend that manages the Co-Op here in the South, he has confirmed that the Premium does NOT contain Ethanol here in the Hat. I remember reading that only a certain percentage of fuel sold requires the addition of ethanol, so premium can still be pure of that evil juice.
Old 08-08-2022, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
I just talked to a friend that manages the Co-Op here in the South, he has confirmed that the Premium does NOT contain Ethanol here in the Hat. I remember reading that only a certain percentage of fuel sold requires the addition of ethanol, so premium can still be pure of that evil juice.
Coop was one that I didn't stop at in Lethbridge. Maybe I'll have to stop in next time I'm in Lethbridge.
Old 08-09-2022, 05:45 AM

I have used regular fuel mixed for a two stroke in a two stroke for years with no problem. I do prefer non ethanol in my small four strokes that do not run regularly. Maybe more research is in order.
Old 08-09-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Good to know, thanks.
Most of shell's premium has ethanol in it now in southern alberta. I've stopped at 7 stations so far. Every one of them had ethanol in the premium.

Coop in Lethbridge has premium that is ethanol free on the gas stop on 43rd street.

I've had lots of trouble with ethanol fuel in my saws causing them to run hot to the point of bogging. They don't do that with ethanol free. My 4 stroke weed whackers seem ok with ethanol in the fuel, although there's a distinct lesser amount of power and they bog easier when taking a full width cut.
Old 08-13-2022, 06:22 AM

Co op in lloydminster told me their premium has ethanol.
Old 08-13-2022, 04:38 PM

Doesn't all Coop gas come from their Regina refinery? If their premium has ethanol in it wouldn't all their premium be the same?
Old 08-13-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Doesn't all Coop gas come from their Regina refinery? If their premium has ethanol in it wouldn't all their premium be the same?
Didn't know they owned a Sask refinery. I do know that the Co-op gas I buy in Barrhead comes from either Esso, Shell or Petrocan. It a crap shoot as to which one you get on any given day, but I do beleive PetroCan have Ethanol in thier premium. Not sure about the other two any more.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:19 PM

So what should we do if all premiums will be with ethanol thanks to our federal government? Does it mean we need to start adding fuel additives every time you fill up your boat's tank?
Old 08-18-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
EVERY gas station I stopped at last week said that premium not had ethanol in it. I think I stopped at over 20 in Lethbridge and area.
Quit asking. Just get a sample wherever and test it. They will all tell you that it has ethanol. Last guy I told where to get it didn’t believe and went straight to their office and asked - of course they do. There are places that don’t have ethanol! tog
Old 08-18-2022, 10:27 PM

Default Non ethanol fuel in southern alberta

Quote:
That changed Aug 1, 2022 by federal mandate.

This one, I think, right?

Quote:
Alberta: the Renewable Fuels Standard requires a minimum annual average of 5% renewable alcohol in gasoline and 2% renewable diesel in diesel fuel sold in Alberta by fuel suppliers. To meet the Renewable Fuels Standard, renewable fuels must demonstrate at least 25% fewer GHG emissions than the equivalent petroleum fuel.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...ons/about.html

I love this summary (it’s mostly about the fertilizer ban, but touches on the ethanol stuff too):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LMG4kuEN_kM
Old 08-25-2022, 04:17 PM

I tested Deer Valley Coop premium - no ethanol. They will get my business filling 230l tank from now on.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldguy View Post
Quit asking. Just get a sample wherever and test it. They will all tell you that it has ethanol. Last guy I told where to get it didn’t believe and went straight to their office and asked - of course they do. There are places that don’t have ethanol! tog
I'd need to fill 5L or something to clear out the hose. I'm currently driving a diesel. So, I can't just throw it into the gas tank. And I don't want a bunch of gerry cans full of gas I won't use. So, I've been trying to figure that out.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I'd need to fill 5L or something to clear out the hose. I'm currently driving a diesel. So, I can't just throw it into the gas tank. And I don't want a bunch of gerry cans full of gas I won't use. So, I've been trying to figure that out.
If you have a 1/2" hose thats ten feet long, the volume is half a liter. If the hose is 3/4", the volume is a liter.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
I tested Deer Valley Coop premium - no ethanol. They will get my business filling 230l tank from now on.
They now have ethanol in premium since November as per government mandate. **** Trudeau is all I can say. Effing retards.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:57 AM

The way that the regulations are written, the companies need to meet a 5% average annual ethanol content across all of their gasolines. So they can legally sell non ethanol premium, if the sell enough fuel with a high enough ethanol content, to make the average. Given how much more regular they sell, than premium this wouldn't be an issue for most vendors