Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Default Sparrow Egg Lake info.

Has anyone been to this lake in K-country? Can you drive close to it? How to get there? And the most important thing,hows the fishing.I am headed back to Mt. Kidd at lunch and pictures of this lake look beautiful.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:07 AM

This is one of my favorite lakes. No, you can't drive there. The trailhead is near the information center in Peter Lougheed Park. The trail is mostly a cross country ski trail, so stop in at the information center for clearer trail directions. The fishing can be good, although the lake winterkills from time to time. The hike is about 1.5 kms.

A couple of other things to note:

The lake is not open to fishing until tomorrow.

This lake is tough to fish from shore due to the vegetation. Most guys use belly boats.

There are a few grizzly bears in the immediate area, so use caution.

Last edited by Scott N; 06-30-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 AM

Wink

Great little lake, from what I remember Chromonids are the answer there.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Definitely agree...there is always a lot of bear droppings around. Whatever you do...don't take fish out and smear fish scent all over yourself. Also best to let someone else carry in the peanut butter and jam sandwiches!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Im headed up to this lake on thursday and if its good going to fish it friday-sunday.. Will post how we do. From what i hear the hike isn't bad on the way in but the way out is a very steep hill which can be dificult
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM

Hi Sir Kenneth,

You didn't post your fishing report? How'd you do? What's the hike in like? Is it possible to pack in a Pontoon boat? I have an 80lb Aluminum Boat, if I attached wheels to it, is it possible to pull it in or is the trail pretty basic?

Anybody else in this string try the lake out?

Cheers,
Andy
Old 02-11-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourweight View Post
Hi Sir Kenneth,

You didn't post your fishing report? How'd you do? What's the hike in like? Is it possible to pack in a Pontoon boat? I have an 80lb Aluminum Boat, if I attached wheels to it, is it possible to pull it in or is the trail pretty basic?

Anybody else in this string try the lake out?

Cheers,
Andy

The last part of the trail is too narrow / winding to bring a large boat up there. I've fished the lake for quite a few years now, and I've never even seen someone attempt to bring a canoe up, let alone an aluminum boat. The hike is easy until you get to the lake, then it's more like a goat trail in and out.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:26 PM

There's about a 70 degree hill you could push your boat over and let it slide down the "goat trail".
I don't think you'd want to drag it back up though. I think my buddy left his left lung there this year. It was so much easier 20 years ago!
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 AM

Hi Scott N and Goldscud,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll borrow my brother in law's bellyboat then. Is the trail about 1.5kms in?

Also Scott, you were saying you have been going up for years...when does the ice usually come off? I know it's different from year to year, but do you have a general rule of thumb?
How's the Spring fishing anyway?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Andy
Old 02-12-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourweight View Post
Hi Scott N and Goldscud,

Thanks for the heads up! I'll borrow my brother in law's bellyboat then. Is the trail about 1.5kms in?

Also Scott, you were saying you have been going up for years...when does the ice usually come off? I know it's different from year to year, but do you have a general rule of thumb?
How's the Spring fishing anyway?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Andy
Hi Andy,

Sparrow's Egg doesn't open until July 1 and it closes on Oct. 31 just so you're aware. A lot of the lakes in K-Country have special regulations, so be careful where / when you fish.

That's correct, the trail is "about" 1/5 kms, give or take. It's an ideal lake for a belly boat, as long as you don't mind a bit of a hike.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:58 AM

Hey Scott,

Right July 1st, I remember seeing that b/f, thank you for reminding me. I'd check the regs b/f embarking to new water anyway, I'm the kind of guy that plays by the rules so I'll make sure I don't go b/f July 1.

No I don't mind hiking...1.5km is childs play, besides I can have a look around check out some scenery and take some pics.

Maybe I'll see you up there this year...I'll be the giddy guy, everytime he photographs a fat Cutthroat!

Thanks for all your help!

Regards,
Andy
Old 01-14-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
This is one of my favorite lakes. No, you can't drive there. The trailhead is near the information center in Peter Lougheed Park. The trail is mostly a cross country ski trail, so stop in at the information center for clearer trail directions. The fishing can be good, although the lake winterkills from time to time. The hike is about 1.5 kms.

A couple of other things to note:

The lake is not open to fishing until tomorrow.

This lake is tough to fish from shore due to the vegetation. Most guys use belly boats.

Hi Scott, restarting this old thread, I'm going skiing out there on Friday. Is the trailhead clearly marked and can a person ski right to the lake without having to do that steep trek down the side of a cliff? TIA.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Hi Scott, restarting this old thread, I'm going skiing out there on Friday. Is the trailhead clearly marked and can a person ski right to the lake without having to do that steep trek down the side of a cliff? TIA.
The trailhead is marked and you can find it right at the end of the parking lot for the Peter Lougheed Info Centre. I can't see anyone skiing down to the lake unless they've upped their courage by downing a couple of beers though. I'd guess the last part to the lake isn't all that well marked in the winter, unless you know where to look.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:23 PM

Cheers!