Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2017, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbaj View Post
Hi guys, love this thread. I have been making my own whitefish wireworm and other creations for a few years, Also have tried home made shrimp patterns, cased caddis patterns and many others. When I first started I was looking for that "magic bullet", a hook that worked no matter what the weather conditions, time of season, depth or moon phase. I soon learned that this hook just does not exist when fishing for whites!! I have had some that worked extremely well some days and never got a sniff the very next day on the same spot. Some hooks have been rejected not by one but by EVERY fish that looked at it, but some have been very good.

Here are a few of my samples. I can confirm with Zip that the striped patterns work well and also I have had some great success with the shrimp patterns I have tried. Another pattern to try to imitate is the multi-bead pattern just before the ice goes out. I try to imitate a string of burb eggs by laying my pattern on a sandy bottom and just leaving it there with only an occasional twitch. This has worked well at times.

I found a material called "stringy worm" from a fly tying supply store and have tied a few trial patterns (a few are in the pics). I have not yet tried them but hope to get a few opportunities this winter. Some of them are UV activated and glow in the dark.

I'm going to give Pigeon a good try this year, for many years it was my goto lake but gave up on it a while back. I see Snap has had some success over the past few years, just need to re-learn the lake. At one time all you needed was a 1/2 long inch piece of copper tube hung loosely over a treble hook to catch them! That was many years ago, I think they may be more discerning these days.
Have a good season everyone!!
wbaj .... you definitely have skill & I see have refined a number of interesting patterns, particularity the "stringy worm" variations. I believe these would work in Sylvan or Gull were you have a sand/silt bottom. They would also make a great lower/bottom W/W for a dual combo rig, easier to see.

We all would appreciate an update on your success this season with Mr. Stringy Worm. Many tks for taking the time and sharing a few pic's of your creations & contributing to this tread.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Hi guys, love this thread. I have been making my own whitefish wireworm and other creations for a few years, Also have tried home made shrimp patterns, cased caddis patterns and many others. When I first started I was looking for that "magic bullet", a hook that worked no matter what the weather conditions, time of season, depth or moon phase. I soon learned that this hook just does not exist when fishing for whites!! I have had some that worked extremely well some days and never got a sniff the very next day on the same spot. Some hooks have been rejected not by one but by EVERY fish that looked at it, but some have been very good.

Here are a few of my samples. I can confirm with Zip that the striped patterns work well and also I have had some great success with the shrimp patterns I have tried. Another pattern to try to imitate is the multi-bead pattern just before the ice goes out. I try to imitate a string of burb eggs by laying my pattern on a sandy bottom and just leaving it there with only an occasional twitch. This has worked well at times.

I found a material called "stringy worm" from a fly tying supply store and have tied a few trial patterns (a few are in the pics). I have not yet tried them but hope to get a few opportunities this winter. Some of them are UV activated and glow in the dark.

I'm going to give Pigeon a good try this year, for many years it was my goto lake but gave up on it a while back. I see Snap has had some success over the past few years, just need to re-learn the lake. At one time all you needed was a 1/2 long inch piece of copper tube hung loosely over a treble hook to catch them! That was many years ago, I think they may be more discerning these days.
Have a good season everyone!!

Do you sell these?
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Do you sell these?
Sureshot .. perhaps you could send Wbaj a P/M ... this isn't the W/W Buy & Sell thread.

Let's talk W/W & Bait ....
last year just after opening day on Gull, Scott (Bwackwabbitt) & I had a little head-to-head competition on tipping a W/W with bait. I found some very fresh "Pink" colored Maggots (Mag's) at the Sportsmen Den in R/D. Scott picked up some fresh Meal Worms and we were ready for some fun. We were one of the first groups out that morning & got all set up waiting for the crack of light. We moved a couple of times during the day and worked a few of our favorite spots.

I had a great day & for those who are wondering the Pink Mag’s won the head-to-head challenge over the M-Worms. As well, the Red W/W with the "Glow" bead tipped with a Pink Mag caught all most all of our fish.

This year try tipping your W/W with some bait, Pink Mag's, M-Worms or even a tiny piece of Bacon Fat, Whites & Perch just can't resist them.

Cheers

David

Old 11-23-2017, 08:20 PM

Hey Zip, I was wondering about trying different baits for whitefish.

Would a small, tight ball of chartreuse trout dough pressed onto the tip of the wire worm do the same thing as the bead as well as add some flavor? Do whites like the powerbait stuff?

Also, what do you think of the Impulse brand blood worm soft plastics? I was thinking about trying to wacky-rig one of those blood worm plastics on a little red colored octopus hook 12-18" above a small jigging spoon that I can pound the bottom with. Am I crazy, or will this work?

Thanks in advance for any replies / advice!
Old 11-24-2017, 07:53 AM

[. Actually sounds like a good idea.. Williams wobler as a flasher- rubber red worm on bare hook 👍

QUOTE=NSR Fisher;3674305]Hey Zip, I was wondering about trying different baits for whitefish.

Would a small, tight ball of chartreuse trout dough pressed onto the tip of the wire worm do the same thing as the bead as well as add some flavor? Do whites like the powerbait stuff?

Also, what do you think of the Impulse brand blood worm soft plastics? I was thinking about trying to wacky-rig one of those blood worm plastics on a little red colored octopus hook 12-18" above a small jigging spoon that I can pound the bottom with. Am I crazy, or will this work?

Thanks in advance for any replies / advice![/QUOTE]
Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Do you sell these?
Hi sureshot, sorry bud I don't sell any of the hooks I make. Its just a hobby for me. I find it adds more satisfaction catching fish on hooks I make myself. I don't think I have the patience to pound out dozens of the same hook at one sitting. I usually make 3 or 4, try them out and depending on results modify, make more or chuck the idea altogether.

However if you ever see a red Honda quad pulling a jet sled or Frabill flip tent on Pigeon, Gull, Sylvan, Lac Saint Anne or Battle drop by. Ill gladly give you a couple of the "hooks du jour".

Tight lines!!!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Hi sureshot, sorry bud I don't sell any of the hooks I make. Its just a hobby for me. I find it adds more satisfaction catching fish on hooks I make myself. I don't think I have the patience to pound out dozens of the same hook at one sitting. I usually make 3 or 4, try them out and depending on results modify, make more or chuck the idea altogether.

However if you ever see a red Honda quad pulling a jet sled or Frabill flip tent on Pigeon, Gull, Sylvan, Lac Saint Anne or Battle drop by. Ill gladly give you a couple of the "hooks du jour".

Tight lines!!!

Thanks Wbaj. I fish Ste Anne a lot still haven’t been able to hook up on the whites there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 AM

The whites at LSA are getting far and few it seems. I have caught dozens in the past but have not been very successful in recent years. I usually fish it once or twice each year just to see if it has improved. I lost one and caught one last year fishing in 10 feet just around the Gunn turnoff. The hook I used was the smallest Williams wobbler they make in a solid gold color. I think I had maggots on it too, but cant remember. I probably tried 25 different combos that day!!!
Old 11-24-2017, 11:02 AM

BTW I have always wanted to make a trip to Halford Hide in Edmonton, its a very unique store. Yesterday I made the trip and to my surprise I found they stock glass beads, the same as Michaels only 1/2 the cost. These 3 bags cost me under $9.00! I believe they also have an online order available as well.

They have many more colors than this, Its going to be my goto store for beads from this point on.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
The whites at LSA are getting far and few it seems. I have caught dozens in the past but have not been very successful in recent years. I usually fish it once or twice each year just to see if it has improved. I lost one and caught one last year fishing in 10 feet just around the Gunn turnoff. The hook I used was the smallest Williams wobbler they make in a solid gold color. I think I had maggots on it too, but cant remember. I probably tried 25 different combos that day!!!
I see lots of whites on the south side of the lake but I just can't get them to bite.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR Fisher View Post
Hey Zip, I was wondering about trying different baits for whitefish.

Thanks in advance for any replies / advice!

NSR Fisher … in reply to your Q’s;

In the past I’ve used a couple different colors/flavors of trout dough on my W/W, with not much success. That said there’s a couple old timers with lots of seniority that fish RR 23 with me and they do very well with orange or slime green dough on small 1/16 or 1/8 jigs. Perhaps it’s the way the bait sits on the hook, if too heavy your W/W hangs down & not horizontal which could be the cause. It would be interesting to hear from others on their experience/success.

Northland Tackle make a lot of great products, I’ve never tried the Blood Worm you mentioned, but I have had a lot of success on the mini Mr-Twister pattern in the fall just prior to end of the season and on occasion ice fishin using my camera in deep water (18-20 ft), in mid to late March. On my 3rd rod, I use a number jigging spoons and tie a W/W about 12-14” above the spoon and do exactly what you suggested pound the silt bottom which get active fish to come over and have a look and either hit the W/W or inhale the jig/spoon. Scott uses one called the Vibrato, I call it the Vibro, picked up a few of the 7 gr and they really produce, something worth considering, Cdn Tire sell them.

A few of my more popular ones.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
BTW I have always wanted to make a trip to Halford Hide in Edmonton, its a very unique store. Yesterday I made the trip and to my surprise I found they stock glass beads, the same as Michaels only 1/2 the cost. These 3 bags cost me under $9.00! I believe they also have an online order available as well.

They have many more colors than this, Its going to be my goto store for beads from this point on.

wbaj Tks for sharing, will have to stop in and check them out when I'm in town. The Michael's craft store here in Red Deer has limited stock/selection, though, the women sure are friendly, they're always asking me what I'm making.

D.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I see lots of whites on the south side of the lake but I just can't get them to bite.
Sureshot ... experienced similar shy behavior, a couple things I tried seem to work on those slow days. Such as, No camera, don't remove all the snow off the ice, only one hole (I normally drill 2 - 10" side-x-side) 4 Lb Floro line, small #12 or #14 hook size W/W's. last be ready, they normally don't give you a second chance.

Edit ... should of mentioned, if you see fish & have had no action in 1 to 1.5 hrs .... move 20 or 50 ft either shallower or deeper depending on the time of day.

It's good to see others contributing to this thread, hope the tips help.

D

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-24-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 PM

Zip-In-Z does Halfords sell the colored wire to make the wire worms ?
Old 11-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the tips Z!

If you don't mind I'm going to post a few pics and you tell me what you think of these lures for targeting whites! Will any of these work?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:23 PM

Those little mini-minnow soft plastics by north lands are really soft! They have a ton of wiggle action, same with the blood worms. Really supple material, I think they should work!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Those little mini-minnow soft plastics by north lands are really soft! They have a ton of wiggle action, same with the blood worms. Really supple material, I think they should work!
Nice assortment !
Old 11-24-2017, 10:39 PM

I think I'm going to try the little tiny dimpled brass slender spoon (2nd photo) as my dropper weight and have a wire worm 18" above it with a little maggot.

Drop shot rigs are deadly for ice fishing!
Old 11-25-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawjacker View Post
No just the beads, but they sure have a nice variety of colors.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Sureshot ... experienced similar shy behavior, a couple things I tried seem to work on those slow days. Such as, No camera, don't remove all the snow off the ice, only one hole (I normally drill 2 - 10" side-x-side) 4 Lb Floro line, small #12 or #14 hook size W/W's. last be ready, they normally don't give you a second chance.

Edit ... should of mentioned, if you see fish & have had no action in 1 to 1.5 hrs .... move 20 or 50 ft either shallower or deeper depending on the time of day.

It's good to see others contributing to this thread, hope the tips help.

D
Thanks for the tips Zip. Any certain kind of presentation I should use?
Old 11-25-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
No just the beads, but they sure have a nice variety of colors.
What size of beads do you buy ? are they a size #10 ?
Old 11-25-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Jawjacker ..... Like you, never visited this place, but plan to check it out the next time I'm in town.

Quote:
What size of beads do you buy ? are they a size #10 ?
I find the Glass Beads have a larger hole diameter & fit/go over the hook shank/barb of a #10. The non-glass are much smaller in diameter and you may have to unbend the shank or pinch down the barb to get them over. I personally like the glass ones, they look like "Eyes".

Regardless of your choice, neither will break the bank.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-25-2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Zip. Any certain kind of presentation I should use?
Sureshot .... that's a great as well a tough Q ... for all my years fishing for pleasure or tourneys back in Manitoba, the only advice I can share for netural/finique fish is lots of finnese with technique and use a very small W/W or tiny 1/32 oz jig, tiny spoon or something similar tipped with fresh bait.

If the barometer is going crazy with extreme low that just passed fish react like they have a severe migraine headache, those are real tough conditions so you need lots of finnese to convince them to take your small & tasty presentation.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I think I'm going to try the little tiny dimpled brass slender spoon (2nd photo) as my dropper weight and have a wire worm 18" above it with a little maggot.

Drop shot rigs are deadly for ice fishing!
NSR Fisher as member Dweb suggested, that's a great assortment you have. I use 5-6 different colored or shaped spoons, they all have worked depending on the day, depth, water clarity etc, your proposed method also has a lot of merit. In most lakes you never know what will show up, fish will surprise you, I've even caught a few burbs on a yellow/red W/W shown below over a red spoon. You may wish to change out the treble hooks for 1 smaller single hook, it will improve your success.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:18 PM

I got one of those 7g model Vibro jigging spoons you mentioned and downsized the trebles because the hooks looked just huge :-)

Thank you so much for the advice!
Old 11-25-2017, 10:24 PM

I made these tonight but having trouble getting the cat5 wire to stay tight.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I got one of those 7g model Vibro jigging spoons you mentioned and downsized the trebles because the hooks looked just huge :-)

Thank you so much for the advice!
NSR Fisher ... you won't be disappointed .. Whites, Walleye & Perch just love it, however, Pike (all sizes) go crazy over it, the vibration sends a signal for miles, Scott had one Pike chase it into the silt bottom at Gull and it did a nose plant trying to get it ... LOL.

A tip ... you may wish to use a heavier floro leader/line, on the second time/day we went out, Mr. Pike bit me off first thing in the morning when I was checking the depth & before Vibro actually hit the bottom .... gone!

Cheers

D.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:48 PM

[QUOTE=sureshot;3675613]I made these tonight but having trouble getting the cat5 wire to stay tight.[/IMG]

That's odd, I buy Cat 5/6 from Home Depot just for the "Brown" wire, I haven't had that problem before. Maybe they made some spec changes to the product. I'll check some of my white/orange and advise accordingly.

D.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:51 PM

Hey zip, im in the same boat as surshot.
Can't get the cat 5 cable to stay tight on the hook, once its all wrapped up and you let go it tends to unravel and doesn't look to good. Any tricks for finishing with the cat5 wire? The pure copper wire with no insulation is straight forward and works great but i have a bunch of cat5 id like to use up. Thanks and your WW's look awesome, great job.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
I made these tonight but having trouble getting the cat5 wire to stay tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
Hey zip, im in the same boat as surshot.
Can't get the cat 5 cable to stay tight on the hook, once its all wrapped up and you let go it tends to unravel and doesn't look to good. Any tricks for finishing with the cat5 wire? The pure copper wire with no insulation is straight forward and works great but i have a bunch of cat5 id like to use up. Thanks and your WW's look awesome, great job.

Fellas .... I tried wrapping the Home Depot Cat 5 (Grey Shield) I have with no issues. Only other suggestion is bare an inch or more at the end and then wrap the copper wire around your hook shank to keep it tight.

David

Like this one ....

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 11-25-2017 at 11:22 PM.