Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-25-2020, 09:04 AM

Default Looking for a copy of Alberta’s Trout Highway

I’m wondering if anyone has a copy of Alberta’s Trout Highway they want to sell
Old 07-25-2020, 09:09 AM

I’ve been looking also. It’s sure a pricey little book but it would be good at getting to those hidden areas and save a ton of time.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
I’ve been looking also. It’s sure a pricey little book but it would be good at getting to those hidden areas and save a ton of time.
I've never laid hands on one but I know the Calgary Public library has a display copy. I'll have to check it out some time as $300 seems a little steep.

For those that have a copy, is it worth paying big money for? Or has almost all the information become known through numerous other sites in the 20+ years since it was published?
Old 07-25-2020, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post

For those that have a copy, is it worth paying big money for? Or has almost all the information become known through numerous other sites in the 20+ years since it was published?
If one spent 20 years on other sites one would know more than whats in the book. If one hasn't then the book is a good starting point. Most of what is in the book is common knowledge to anyone who is interested in and fly fished Alberta trout streams for a few years.
Old 07-25-2020, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
If one spent 20 years on other sites one would know more than whats in the book. If one hasn't then the book is a good starting point. Most of what is in the book is common knowledge to anyone who is interested in and fly fished Alberta trout streams for a few years.
Hey thanks for the reply. I figured as much. Got copies of Trout Streams of Alberta, Fly-Fishing Western Trout Streams, Western Hatches, etc, plus time spent researching on here, Bushwhackers, etc, plus miles and miles of driving up and down FTR and walking southern/central streams. Just wanting to leave no stone unturned, lol.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:15 PM

I have one I'd be willing to sell. Send me a pm with an offer if anyone is interested.
Old 07-25-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dielbo View Post
Hey thanks for the reply. I figured as much. Got copies of Trout Streams of Alberta, Fly-Fishing Western Trout Streams, Western Hatches, etc, plus time spent researching on here, Bushwhackers, etc, plus miles and miles of driving up and down FTR and walking southern/central streams. Just wanting to leave no stone unturned, lol.
I have the fly fishing western trout streams. Good book
Old 07-25-2020, 10:58 PM

I want to get my hands on this book just to see what the hell the fuss is about. Does it list secret streams and creeks with lunker fish and tell you exactly which rock to cast behind? If it doesn't, there's no reason for this book to be worth more than $50.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 PM

I snagged one last year off of amazon for $100. I would just search for it every once in a while and then all of a sudden a "cheap" one popped up. Is it worth it? I dunno. But I do have a small list of creeks that i have never fished before that are now on my list because of the book. Nothing that couldnt be found while scouring maps of PLUZ
Old 08-02-2020, 03:41 PM

I have a copy for sale...never read it as I have never read a book...lol...its in great shape

I live in calgary..PM me with a offer...

Tnx

Duane
Old 08-03-2020, 05:38 AM

Default Got a copy

My wife grabbed me a copy a decade ago when it was still out of print and expensive but not as bad as today. It has good location and trip details yes but more than that, it's well written and gets you excited to find these areas. With so many anglers stranded in Canada this year it's a nice tool to get into some deeper areas. One day I'll eBay mine and grab a yeti cooler with the proceeds but even 10 years later it's a useful reference tool.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:33 AM

Interesting story on this book in the CBC news site. (I don't have a clue how to attach links so you'll just have to search the site).

Anyway, Amazon is offering a copy for just under $600. That's about the price of a pretty good fly rod!

Even the famous Don Anderson is quoted in the story.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Interesting story on this book in the CBC news site. (I don't have a clue how to attach links so you'll just have to search the site).

Anyway, Amazon is offering a copy for just under $600. That's about the price of a pretty good fly rod!

Even the famous Don Anderson is quoted in the story.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...find-1.5678447

(*note: just copy and paste the url/web address)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:18 PM

Barry was a great guy and he cared. His legacy of things he accomplished is evident up and down the Eastern Slopes.
What is truly unfortunate, many focus on the places to go when the chapters on fish biology, I believe, are the real impact of the book.
It is really too bad that the book has become a collectors item rather than the educational tool.
Barry and I spent many a day together exploring Alberta. Sometimes we even caught fish.
I missed him a lot and most importantly, so does our trout resources.

Regards,

Don
Old 08-11-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Barry was a great guy and he cared. His legacy of things he accomplished is evident up and down the Eastern Slopes.
What is truly unfortunate, many focus on the places to go when the chapters on fish biology, I believe, are the real impact of the book.
It is really too bad that the book has become a collectors item rather than the educational tool.
Barry and I spent many a day together exploring Alberta. Sometimes we even caught fish.

Regards,

Don
Interesting you say that. I've only read it once and it's been years. But I do remember liking a few chapters more than the 'where to go' chapters. I'm sure the biology chapter was one of those.

Always enjoy the 'Made in Alberta' reading. And Barry's was a good one.

Cheers.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post

Regards,

Don
I got my copy a couple of years ago, paid up and its now a treasure. I enjoy the where to and how to, but the fish biology sections are the best in my opinion.

Back in the late 80's early 90's there was a business in Red Deer called Just Fishin. In the back of the store there was a wood stove and an assortment of sofas, magazines etc., a real cool place to hang out. I recall being there when Barry was there along with Bob Scammell oh how the stories would be told. I'm not certain it was coffee in those cups, but it was a good time. Bob took me on my first trip to the North Raven, as a 30 something just getting in to fly fishing I was in awe. I learned a lot about fishing from these two and others that would frequent that store.

It was a sad day when Just Fishin closed the doors. When I read my book it takes me back to that alcove at the back of the store and a time before all this nonsense.

BW
Old 08-11-2020, 05:53 PM
Banned

I just went through my library and discovered that I have this book as well. I think I purchased it from the fishin hole way back in 2003 -2005. I figure it should be worth a fortune in another 10 years. Not letting this one go. Something to pass on to my grandchildren. Still has a price sticker on it. $29.95

Last edited by trooper; 08-11-2020 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:58 PM

I picked up his book at a book launch in the Sportsman Den in Reddeer shortly after I moved to AB. Barry autographed my book and I chatted to him for a bit. Told him his AB fishing guide was a godsend for a newbie to the province. With that and a back road atlas maps for the Rockies and the east slopes I went from an Ontario spin fisher to some one who really enjoyed swinging a fly-rod on a mountain stream.. Still crack open his book now and then to re-read some of his stories.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:04 AM

Default I have almost pristine Cop Of Alberta's Trout Highways

I have an almost pristine copy for sale if you are willing to pay what the American sellers want !Albertan book being sold by an Albertan in need ( thanks to our wonderful premier in mom jeans). Profits will not go to an American seller!

Last edited by Bulltrout59; 08-19-2020 at 05:08 AM. Reason: Fist part os message was cut off.
Old 08-21-2020, 09:35 AM

A copy just came up on kijiji in Calgary for $150 if you are still looking
Old 08-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormachek View Post
A copy just came up on kijiji in Calgary for $150 if you are still looking
It’s also on EBay. Keeping an eye on it. Will bid the last second if the price is right
Old 08-22-2020, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulltrout59 View Post
I have an almost pristine copy for sale if you are willing to pay what the American sellers want !Albertan book being sold by an Albertan in need ( thanks to our wonderful premier in mom jeans). Profits will not go to an American seller!
I'll see if I can remortgage my house and I'll get back to you
Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 PM

Default Got a book

Got one in like new condition, it’s for sale. $200 & it’s yours.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:26 AM

Default Sold

[QUOTE=Hep;4223132]Sold
Old 09-09-2020, 11:28 AM

Default Such a Fuss

I am just realizing there is quite a commotion about this book. I had to go looking, but it turns out I do have a copy in unread condition. I'm not using it and could repurpose the money if somebody wants the book.

Based on what I'm seeing, I'd ask $250 and am located in Red Deer. PM for more details, I can get pictures this evening when I get home.
Old 09-09-2020, 08:42 PM

This thread is getting boring. How about some actual fly fishing stories/lies/misconceptions, etc.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:18 AM

Maybe read a different thread ?
Old 09-10-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Maybe read a different thread ?
Newdrenalin, I'm trying to respond to your PM but your inbox is full.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
How about some actual fly fishing stories/lies/misconceptions, etc.

Good idea! Tell us some...
Old 09-10-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_davey View Post
Good idea! Tell us some...
Haha zing!