Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-16-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Keeping bait from freezing!

Are there any trappers out there with experience using either glycerine or methyl hydrate to keep bait from freezing in lynx sets? Where is an economical place to buy either one? Thanks, fellas.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:56 PM

Default keeping bait from freezing

Over the years we've used lots of glycerine, but now I've went to plumber's antifreeze. Available at Canadian tire, home hardware, etc for less than 5.00 a gallon.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Banned

Default freezing ??

I have used glycerine too, but find plumbers, much easier to obtain, does just as good a job and is cheaper..
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 AM

Default ?

Is there a reason you do not want your bait to freeze? Do you get increased catches with thawed bait than frozen? I like my bait frozen just because it's easier to handle. I suppose if it stayed thawed the smell would be greater. My lynx bait has simply been a frozen chunk of beaver meat with lots of lynx lure, anise oil and catnip.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:52 PM

I'm with Bullgetter, I'm wondering what's the advantage? I used to use fish and glycerin for marten in the NWT where it was extremely cold but stopped when I didn't see any increased catch rates. Have you guys seen better response with thawed bait? I think a scent lure pulls them in and a frozen bait closes the deal.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:46 PM

Default Holy crap! Frozen bait

Just answering a question for 'Molly'. No I don't keep my beaver meat thawed with anti-freeze...never said I did. I use it with my lures so I can get it out of the bottles and the smell transmits a lot further while unfrozen. That's it.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:00 PM

OK the post said bait not lure so I think that's where we got confused. The amount needed for lure is so small cost is a non-issue. I've used glycerin for years and it's hard to beat. It does seperate from skunk essence so it helps to keep it warm and shake up before using it. I've also used gas line anti freeze but i like the consistency of glcerine.