Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-19-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Wolves in 330

Large pack in 330, could have blasted 2 this last couple days, would their pelts be any good for a rug right now or would the hair just fall out? I know they are overpopulated but I would hate to see the animal go to waste if hair not set yet.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:38 AM

The hair will not just fall out if it is properly tanned. Skin, then lay the salt to it. Send to tannery or taxidermist for a rug. This time of year the fur is not prime but will still be a nice pelt if groomed and taken care of properly.
If you need more info I can provide it. I tan fur all the time never had a problem. PM me if needed
Old 10-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Gone Hunting

The Rocky chapter of the ATA (trappers association) and a number of Fish and Game clubs are in the process of setting up a "Wolf Harvest Incentive Program" The price trappers get for a wolf is pretty low right now so there is not much money in going to the trouble of trapping them. The incentive payed to a trapper who takes a wolf would pay the cost of getting it tanned. Once tanned the trapper could sell it for a lot more money than a raw pelt.

The incentive would be payed to a hunter who kills a wolf and wants some $ to get it tanned as well. F&G members of clubs involved in the program would get so much money and other hunters who do not belong to a F&G cllub would get less but some money.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:49 AM

Default wolves

Thanks guys, next deer we shoot out there I may stake out the gutpile for a few hours, we shot a doe out there last week, came back 3 hours later and the gutpile was gone and quite a few wolf tracks, they were howling like crazy around 16:30, only seen black ones so far.