Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 08:42 PM

Default fishing for trout with a bobber

Today I was fishing aat CHickakoo with a hook and bobber. Everycast I took my bobber with bouncing up and down. Is there a technique to set the hook. I got them hooked once and awhile but other times I would set it and not hook them. Also I was using worms, but the rainbow trout were swollowing the hole hook getting it hooked in the throut. Is there anyway to prevent that because I catch and release.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercatcher View Post
Today I was fishing aat CHickakoo with a hook and bobber. Everycast I took my bobber with bouncing up and down. Is there a technique to set the hook. I got them hooked once and awhile but other times I would set it and not hook them. Also I was using worms, but the rainbow trout were swollowing the hole hook getting it hooked in the throut. Is there anyway to prevent that because I catch and release.
use a smaller bober like a skinny slip bober.
so the trout dosent have to pull as hard to pull it down
also try using single hooks
Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 PM

If you don't want the fish to swallow your hook, then your best bet is to stop using live bait... you can try micro jigs or flies, they will work just as well on most days.

If your bobber was just bouncing up and down and not going all the way under, then either the fish were just biting at the tail of your worm and not taking the whole thing, or your bobber is too big for them to pull under... in which case use a skinier bobber as FH7 suggested.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 PM

Don't do what my buddy does and give the rod a massive heave when you feel a bite. Most of the time he just rips the hook right out of the fish's mouth. Especially with trout with their soft mouths.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:00 PM

Default Stop with the bait

My advice is to stop using bait if you want to release fish. Hooking mortality can often reach 1 out of 3 fish.

You catch 9 fish, release all of them, you've really killed three.

Its pretty challenging to claim you're into catch and release and your main technique involves bait.

Just wanted to reinforce this point; the other advice you've received is good too.

Smitty
Old 06-10-2011, 11:01 PM

Do I put power bait on the micro jigs
Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 PM

I agree with the skinnier bobber. If you are using the round balls, keep them at home next time and try some skinnier ones. The skinnier they are, the less resistance the fish feels. If the fish is swallowing that deep, they are having more than enough time to eat the bait. Watch the float carefully and set the hook a bit sooner after the first bite. Most of my trout were brought in by just keeping the line tight and when they took the hook, steady pressure was enough to keep them hooked. If you are not ready for a bite, it's gone before you know it sometimes.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Do I put power bait on the micro jigs
No, fish the jigs as they are.... you don't need bait.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Default trout

Quote:
Like others have said, leave the red & white beach balls at home. You can buy really good skinny bobbers with weight added for proper balance in the water & casting distance. They are ultra-sensitive and can be pulled under by the smallest of trout. If you are still having problems hooking fish, then look at making the bait smaller.

Tight lines !!!!
Old 06-11-2011, 09:50 AM

I was out at Dillberry Lake yesterday and every time my slip bobber went down a nice trout came up.

Open up the hook a little bit and then sharpen the hook after crimping down the barb.

We lost a couple of nice trout and we returned many juvy's back into the water.

It was nice and quiet with only one other boat on the lake.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:27 PM

what size of slip bobber? I could hardly see mine when I casted it out and it sunk some from the spilt shots
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 AM

Another way to keep them from getting deep hooked is to use a circle hook, and you don't have to set it, the fish does it for you. They are a bigger hook, it will negate having to use too much split shot, one small one to give you enough weight to cast it should be enough.