Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default Egg fly pattern step by step

The egg fly pattern can be one of the most effective patterns when fished at the proper time. I first used this pattern when fishing the Quesnel River back home in Quesnel B.C.. The Sockeye migrate up the river to there spawning grounds. Wherever fish are spawning or are migrating through your area to a certain destination to spawn, a egg pattern should be used. Dead drifted was the one way I found best to fish the pattern. Fish will engorge themselves on eggs to the point of exploding. You can tie the pattern in many color variations and can also include a *eye* or *blood spot* as I demonstrated below. The egg yarn you buy in stores can be quite intense in coloration. Here is a tip, take your pack of egg yarn and put it on your windowsill in the summer. You will find that the UV rays from the sun slowly diminish the color of the yarn and that makes it less intense. You can also mix up your yarn when tying egg patterns and get that marble look. If your not a fan of using split shot as weight you can include a bead when creating your egg fly. You can now buy beads in various colors that will match your egg yarn and give it that perfect amount of weight. It is a very simple pattern to create and you can tie many in different colors in one sitting. This is one fly you must have in your arsenal

Egg fly Materials List:

Hook-Mustad C67S Egg/Caddis
Thread-3/0 White thread (or thread to match the color of the yarn)
Material-Egg Yarn

Step 1- Wrap thread onto hook, only go as far as the point of the hook.

Step 2- Cut three pieces of egg yarn no longer then 2 inches

Step 3- Stack the pieces of yarn on top each other and tie them down to the hook. Make sure you tie the yarn down in the middle so both sides of the yarn are even on both ends of the tie down point.

Step 4- Pull the yarn back a little and wrap your thread to the eye of the hook

Step 5- Whip finish

Step 6- Take your bodkin and tease out the yarn so it all blends together.

Step 7- Take the yarn in your fingers and bundle it together, pull the yarn up and cut as shown. The closer you cut the yarn to the hook shank the smaller the egg will be. The smaller the egg you want the less yarn you will have to use.

Finished

Old 06-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Gone Hunting

I said in the other thread that I couldn't tie flies and I can't but I've tied lots of these eggs for coho, and steelhead in the Vedder.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 AM

Thats a great pattern, curious if anyone has ever tried them in the bow around the spawn time?
I've only ever fished egg patterns in B.C.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Addict View Post
Thats a great pattern, curious if anyone has ever tried them in the bow around the spawn time?
I've only ever fished egg patterns in B.C.
I have used them in a few Alberta rivers when the fish are spawning, they work great!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM

Smile Scud?

I have seen some "glue" eggs in a magazine. They are made with hot glue in various colours. If you can make one, please post a lesson. Thx.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
I have seen some "glue" eggs in a magazine. They are made with hot glue in various colours. If you can make one, please post a lesson. Thx.
I have made them, you can buy them premade no to and just slide them on the hook....to this day< I still prefer my yarn eggs.

If I can ill post it still