Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned

Default Boat question - Jon boat vs Deep v

Alright, Yesterday I was at Bass Pro Shops and they had two boats out front, A Grizzly 2015 for $25,000 and a Tracker Pro Guide V 1775 for $25,000. The Jon Boat was substantially wider and obviously has a lot more room for gear.

So my question is, How will the Jon Boat handle rough waters?
How will that deep V handle rough waters?
What size waves would give each boat trouble?

Also, The Jon Boat had a rating of 1200 Lbs while the Pro Guide was 790lbs. How much over those weights could you go before you had trouble? 1200 lbs did not seem like a lot for the size of the Jon Boat, and since its a utility boat you'd assume you would be able to load it up with two guys, gear + animal, It would easily go over 1200 lbs.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 PM

You and everyone else in the boat will be begging to get to shore in any jon boat once the winds show up on a big lake.

They have a good use and that is slews and ponds for duck hunting as well as very good on the river.

If you live in so Alberta and plan on fishing any lakes or resevoirs then you need and I cannot say this enough you NEED a deep V if for nothing else safety for you and your family.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM

You really need to keep in mind the type of water you know you will using it on.
Flat bottom boats are faster and can handle shallower water. They pound in any kind of chop.V bottoms are way smoother riding in a chop or rough water. too many factors to say how high of waves one can ride in , but will take the deep v every time. that is why I like windshields and cover over bow vs side console or tiller, then again I am usually in big water and fish lots outside AB lol

Feels like xmas, good luck in your search. Depending on your needs their maybe better choices in options and boats than Basspro for that price range. Half the fun is in the journey unless you dont have patience like myself LOL
Old 02-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Banned

I would do a bit more research on boats as you could get a far better deal through other distributors and such.

My preferance is a broad bottomed boat, but, I spent many years handling this type of vessel in big waves and during very inclement weather on the coast, so, if you haven't handled this type of craft, it could be problematic.

A deep V will always help you handle the waves better, but, if most of your fishing is done in Alberta, my opinion would be to go shorter in length. 16' - 18' is plenty in length and would still get you onto the salt water, AND, easier to store over winter space wise.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM
Banned

My questions and concerns have been addressed. Thank you very much.