Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM

Default You just Never know

Heads Up . Just about another tragedy yesterday at wabamun. My neighbour took his wife and girls out yesterday to far west end of Wabamun and put is truck through the ice. They all got out ok but were badly shaken up. He said there were tons of vehicles on ice fishing so he went a bit west of them and down he went.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:25 AM

I was on Jackfish on Sunday. Drilled a bunch of holes so the kids could fish and see and play with the little perch below while in the tent. Ice was just over a foot from what I could tell. Some guys were moving pretty good while driving across the lake. I know a foot is strong but I thought there would have been a lot more ice then what was there. We were on sleds so no biggie. Glad your neighbor and his family are ok.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:38 AM
Banned

Heard that truck went through at access from RR 55. Iv'e never gone out from there, but glad to hear your buddy and his family made it out safely. That would be very scary.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:28 AM

passed within 20 yards of a bubbling spring on Lac Ste Anne yesterday....would have grabbed a way point but was too busy stretching the legs on the 900 and getting outta dodge!

its about 8ft around, wide open with a bit of surface water around it under the snow.

Average 16 inches of ice on that lake.....this time last year average was more than double that.

be careful out there people...this isnt a great year for ice...what's there is good ice...but there isn't much of it.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
passed within 20 yards of a bubbling spring on Lac Ste Anne yesterday....would have grabbed a way point but was too busy stretching the legs on the 900 and getting outta dodge!

its about 8ft around, wide open with a bit of surface water around it under the snow.

Average 16 inches of ice on that lake.....this time last year average was more than double that.

be careful out there people...this isnt a great year for ice...what's there is good ice...but there isn't much of it.
Jamie How deep do you think the water would be in that area, how close to shore.

Tx
Old 02-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Heads Up . Just about another tragedy yesterday at wabamun. My neighbour took his wife and girls out yesterday to far west end of Wabamun and put is truck through the ice. They all got out ok but were badly shaken up. He said there were tons of vehicles on ice fishing so he went a bit west of them and down he went.
Very sorry to hear about your neighbours. Nobody needs a day like that.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Jamie How deep do you think the water would be in that area, how close to shore.

Tx
approx 25ft....1.5kms from shore
Old 02-17-2015, 12:34 PM

All of "how's the ice?" posts lately that have been annoying me....no more after reading this. Thanks for sharing the info guys. It us very appreciated, and, everyone keep asking away

Ps I'm glad that family is okay. I've put my truck away and I'm back on the skidoo. Agree that it is an off year. Stay safe!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:39 PM

Unless there were 2 trucks that went in at Wabamun I saw it happen from a distance. From my viewpoint that guy was driving way too fast. Not sure if he hit a thin spot or if he just simply caught his wave. Good to hear nobody was hurt.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:43 PM

That is never good when you hear about someone going through. That's scary. On Saturday me and my buddy broke a new trail all the way from the town of wabamun straight across the lake 3km's to the south side. The snow was deep but we had a jacked up one ton with studded tires. There is alot more snow on the southside. The ice was 18".
Old 02-17-2015, 03:34 PM

I was on the north side of Wab this weekend and we had at least 18' of very solid ice. The south side of the lake has always been a lot thinner, I just walk on if I'm fishing the south end.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:17 PM

Guess its time for me to buy a snobear with all the weird ice we've had this year.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:24 AM

Was e able to get the truck out? I seen Parkland County Fire Dept. But they could not do much obviously, the way the truck was sitting looked like everyone was able to get out of the Passenger side thankfully.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:30 PM

All got out ok his insurance company is looking after the extraction
Old 02-18-2015, 12:33 PM

He didn't go that far in. He went through right by me. I have a picture of the truck my buddy sent me. There was a massive group fishing the point by sundance/seba. I was about 300 yards away. Their was a few people driving like morons too.... Driving 40 or more kmh or more and i even saw 2-3 vehicles at a time tailgating each other doing those speeds. Gotta slow down guys... Not saying thats why the truck went through, but use some common sense
Old 02-18-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren77 View Post
He didn't go that far in. He went through right by me. I have a picture of the truck my buddy sent me. There was a massive group fishing the point by sundance/seba. I was about 300 yards away. Their was a few people driving like morons too.... Driving 40 or more kmh or more and i even saw 2-3 vehicles at a time tailgating each other doing those speeds. Gotta slow down guys... Not saying thats why the truck went through, but use some common sense
Aren't Sundance and Seba at opposite ends of the lake? Seba being on the west to south west Side and Sundance being on the south south east side. If it's by Seba would that not be where the Jackpine creek comes in? Which could explain some very thin ice.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
Aren't Sundance and Seba at opposite ends of the lake? Seba being on the west to south west Side and Sundance being on the south south east side. If it's by Seba would that not be where the Jackpine creek comes in? Which could explain some very thin ice.
Oh boy lol. I mean't to say range road 55. Sorry. I was fishing Sundance on Saturday then Seba Sunday
Old 02-18-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Thank Goodness for that.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I didn't think insurance company's covered that.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Depends on the insurance company; some do, some don't. You have to call them & ask. I did at the beginning of the ice season & was pleasantly surprised to find out I am covered but only recovery, not if there are environmental clean up fees charged. Oh well, can't have it all!
Old 02-19-2015, 11:31 AM

Do you mean RR 55 on the south side of the lake or the northside?

If you are talking the the southside, there is a creek just west of there that flows in. That could affect the ice.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
Mine does. All you have to do is ask if you have coverage for driving your vehicle on ice.

My insurance only has one stipulation - the "common or maintained access point" (like a boat launch was used as an example) does not have a warning sign.

No sign posted at the site of access .... I'm covered.

I have only seen this sign once. Nowhere else.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:56 PM

How do they pull out a vehicle that breaks through? Just a long winch? I've always wondered this.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberboots View Post
How do they pull out a vehicle that breaks through? Just a long winch? I've always wondered this.
Lot's of videos on the internet. Usually winch line and a couple ramps.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Wabamun has lots of thin ice warnings around it. Sundance and Seba for sure.