Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-16-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post

Not an archery bear but my kid with the BB gun has Hoyt for a middle name. This spring will be a stick and string adventure. Spot and stalk with the kids...could be tricky.

That is awesome. I doubt my wife would have agreed to Prime or Centroid.

Nice Bear and awesome pics
Old 02-16-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
Agree NB I am never in a rush to put the baits out if still deep snow. Im older and carrying heavy bait thru deep snow is a recipe for a heart attack and I have never needed the early baits to have action. The key is the scent bags and scent dispursement Get your bait good and stinky and bears find it quickly when it warms up. Having established bait sites is also good as bears remember them from year to year and check those out first
Well said, i'am never in a rush either the first couple of weeks in april
Are generaly slow over baits.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn D View Post
Well said, i'am never in a rush either the first couple of weeks in april
Are generaly slow over baits.
Agreed that things are slow, but what (if anything) hits the bait first?
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post

Not an archery bear but my kid with the BB gun has Hoyt for a middle name.
This spring will be a stick and string adventure. Spot and stalk with the kids...could be tricky.

Bear Hunting exciting adventure...

Pictures with the youngsters.....priceless!!!

outstanding

Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 AM

I'd say thats the best BBgun killed bear taken in canada last year!!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
When you find these places, do you have any luck by just sitting around trying to call them in?
SOD have never tried calling but no reason it wouldnt work as once baits hit bears typically are pretty close
Old 02-17-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
When you find these places, do you have any luck by just sitting around trying to call them in?
As stated no reason it wouldnt work...however Patience is the game if the bears are feeding they are going to come in...if one goes nocturnal..then its a viable option...

Calling alerts the bears that another predator is in the area and instead of a calm or cautious bear coming in your going to have an angry or very skittish alert bear...

I have had bear angry that thought I was another bear up the tree stand...who knew!!!!bears can climb ladderstands as fast as climb a tree...in milliseconds...

Unless your used to having bears close it may be a little un-nerving having a bear smelling your boot the first time....lol

Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 12:59 PM

Bring on the Grub!!!!!

lol
Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
As stated no reason it wouldnt work...however Patience is the game if the bears are feeding they are going to come in...if one goes nocturnal..then its a viable option...

Calling alerts the bears that another predator is in the area and instead of a calm or cautious bear coming in your going to have an angry or very skittish alert bear...

I have had bear angry that thought I was another bear up the tree stand...who knew!!!!bears can climb ladderstands as fast as climb a tree...in milliseconds...

Unless your used to having bears close it may be a little un-nerving having a bear smelling your boot the first time....lol

Neil
Well said..

Another 3 or so weeks until bear season.. Cannot wait.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Neil

What kind of call would you recommend? Wounded animal?
Old 02-17-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

Can we talk Spot and Stalk B&C?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monster Manitoba Black Bear.jpg (71.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
What kind of call would you recommend? Wounded animal?
I hope you don't mind Neil or son of Dixie but I will give my .02 cents.

I have had a bear come in to a rabbit in distress once. However it was a rough looking bear probably looking for anything to eat.
A cow elk or fawn distress are my recommendations for calling bear.
Some bears won't be interested, some will run away, some will come in stalking, being slow and methodical. Others come in hot, and it seems as though they know exactly where you are, they run right at you.
For the most part, I find it takes a lot more lung work to get a bear to come in, compared to say a coyote.
If you do go this route, definetly keep us updated on how you do!
Old 02-17-2015, 02:49 PM

I have had the best luck with the "Bunny Blues" or rabbit in distress...have used cow elk calls, fawn in distress but doing Bunny Blues sounds...lol on purpose...

But to be honest I have had Bunny Blues work so good that I never gave cow elk or fawn in distress a real chance...

Bunny Blues trigger that predator instict and everything comes runing from bears, cougar, yote and wolfs...to owl, hawks, magpies and crows...

Neil
Old 02-17-2015, 10:51 PM

As I mentioned above I'm not a caller. I have a fawn distress call and it should work. From the reading Ive done and in talking with biologists when I outfitted bears, bears take a surprisingly large number of fawns and moose calves in the spring and actively seek them out at this time of year.s so I would think then that a fawn distress call would work.
The reading also said that if a bear does come into the call he's on a mission to kill something so just remember that call is in your mouth so you better be on high alert especially if you are on the ground. They are fast and can be exceptionally quiet so don't be complacent while calling.

Gord
Old 02-17-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
As I mentioned above I'm not a caller. I have a fawn distress call and it should work. From the reading Ive done and in talking with biologists when I outfitted bears, bears take a surprisingly large number of fawns and moose calves in the spring and actively seek them out at this time of year.s so I would think then that a fawn distress call would work.
The reading also said that if a bear does come into the call he's on a mission to kill something so just remember that call is in your mouth so you better be on high alert especially if you are on the ground. They are fast and can be exceptionally quiet so don't be complacent while calling.

Gord

Good thing to keep in mind for sure... Thanks guys.

I'll probably get a number of calls and try them all out.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Can we talk Spot and Stalk B&C?

Great bear...I have taken bears just about every way possible... a third of my bears with the bow were on foot on ground... spot and stalk,
Taking a bear with a bow is a huge heart pumping rush...taken one spot and stalk is the ultimate...

Spring is best for spot and stalk...with the new green growth...the big guys like to travel the same trail or even exact same foot steps into a feeding area...

I havent taken a B&C bear spot and stalk ...a couple P&Y...its not as easy as it sounds...

I have taken three B&C bears with the bow but all from a treestand which many hours were spent and required a lot of Patience...

Many feel safer in a stand than spot and stalk ...I feel safer on the ground...I never had bears smelling my boot on the ground....lol

Neil
Old 02-18-2015, 03:45 PM

Neil.... just curious of what broadheads you like for bear?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:37 PM

not Neil but.....
myself and wife both shoot muzzys. they have worked great on 50+ bear
Old 02-19-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Neil.... just curious of what broadheads you like for bear?
have taken bear with every broadhead I have ever shot...prior were Sonics and as of now G5 Striker since they were introduced...

IMHO bear are the easiest big game critter to take down with a decent shot in vitals...

Although bears have huge muscles and thick fur...their hide is relatively thin and their ribs are small and finger round compared to moose or elk with thick, wide and flat rib bone.

Bears bleed out quick...most likely due to adrenaline pump when hit...an instinct of flight or fight in the bear world...

The key is a razor sharp head from a well tuned bow placed almost anywhere in a double lung hit...99% of the bear I have shot with the bow regards of where or how all went down within sight and expired in mere seconds...

When I was guiding for bear the two biggest factors of lost bears were one lung hits...shot too low from high angle stand and mechanical head failures...not a statement or opinion...just a fact!!

If I had a personal recommendation..it would be any sharp, solid, fixed broadhead and study bears anatomy and understand the angle of shot from stands...

Neil

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 09:19 AM

A point ...a bears lungs are smaller than most think and also slightly lower and forward compared to other big game...

I personally aim RED on ground broadside [heart,lung] and Yellow from treestand [lungs]...most shots being top of enterance lung and bottom of exit lung...

With hunting bears one mistake is putting stands to high [hence one lung hits] 16ft ladder stand are plenty high enough

Neil

Old 02-19-2015, 10:30 AM

Would any of you take a season hunter of just about 40 years out to get his first bear? I only rifle hunt though. I am a successful deer, Elk, and Moose hunter, but not knowledgeable about bear hunting, although I have seen and could have popped a few throughout the years, I never hunted bear. I did archery when I was about 20 but have only rifle hunted since then.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Would any of you take a season hunter of just about 40 years out to get his first bear? I only rifle hunt though. I am a successful deer, Elk, and Moose hunter, but not knowledgeable about bear hunting, although I have seen and could have popped a few throughout the years, I never hunted bear. I did archery when I was about 20 but have only rifle hunted since then.
Set yourself up with a bow and Im sure you will get help getting a bear!!

Neil
Old 02-19-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
A point ...a bears lungs are smaller than most think and also slightly lower and forward compared to other big game...

I personally aim RED on ground broadside [heart,lung] and Yellow from treestand [lungs]...most shots being top of enterance lung and bottom of exit lung...

With hunting bears one mistake is putting stands to high [hence one lung hits] 16ft ladder stand are plenty high enough

Neil

Thanks for this Neil, it's an important lesson I learned the hard way last fall.
"If anyone from PETA is reading this, I hope you hit a moose on the highway in your smartcar. I love animals; they're delicious. And I hope when you have children, they turn out just like me." Huntinstuff
Old 02-19-2015, 12:28 PM

Default I maybe be able to help

Quote:
Where do you live?
Old 02-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Where do you live?
Camrose.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Set yourself up with a bow and Im sure you will get help getting a bear!!

Neil
That is my goal for the fall.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
That is my goal for the fall.
Your not that far away ...road trip!!! I will be happy to spend time here with you and help you out!!

Neil
Old 02-20-2015, 09:42 PM

Anyone have any experience with magnus stinger, killer bees? Just ordered 6!
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 AM

I'll be heading back to Vancouver Island for bear. No baiting allowed in BC, so it will be some spot and stalk, as well as fawn in distress calling. I shot my first black bear on the Island, last year. It was my first day there, and buddy was showing me where I should be hunting. The big boy below made an appearance, and my buddy told me he was too big to pass up, so I shot him with my 30.06. My bow was back in the cabin, as this was just an outing to do some scouting. I won't make that mistake this year. 30 lbs smokies, 30 lbs, pepperoni, and 40 lbs of garlic sausage. He was tasty!

Old 02-22-2015, 04:53 PM

Default First time bear hunting!

So I finally set myself up with a bow (it's an oldie but I can get really good groups and it shoots great for me) and I have never really been into the big game scene, hence the name waterfowler haha I'm new to my area but am willing to put in the time and the effort to get a bear! I've always wanted a bear but like I said kinda new to this all. Im young but mature and am willing to work for what I want, but putting safety first. I'm torn between doing spot and stalk or baiting. just curious to the pros and cons of each style! If anyone wants to bring me along to show me the ropes of how to get it done I'm all for it!

Cheers and happy hunting