Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-05-2016, 02:02 AM

Default Dedicated Crossbow Hunters

Any of the dedicated crossbow guys (permit or not) still using them for November-December?

I am planning on sticking out this whole season with the bow, might take a muzzle loader into Camp Wainwright (primitive season draw)....but I would have to borrow one from a buddy. Otherwise it will be bow there for that draw too.

Just curious how many strictly crossbow guys are out there?

LC
Old 11-05-2016, 02:10 AM
Banned

I'm a meat hunter and given the choice between a rifle and a crossbow guess which one I'm choosing.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm a meat hunter and given the choice between a rifle and a crossbow guess which one I'm choosing.
Crossbow because you like the challenge? I hunt for meat too, filled the freezer pretty much by Thanksgiving with the bow.

LC
Old 11-05-2016, 04:02 AM

A die hard group
Old 11-05-2016, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would but spent all my hunting cash on gas...put the bow away, took out the old rifle...gotta sell a few rifles and maybe buy a cross bow but that's like cheating on my old Jennings bow

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-06-2016, 03:21 PM

You betcha! But not exactly. Already put one down with my .308.
Just picked up some mechanicals for my newest Excalibur (Axiom kit on clearance at Crappy Tire)Been using the 150gr Boltcutters since day 1 for my Equinox. Now the 100gr X-act mech's.
Why am I using a crossbow? Because I can.
If I were to say because of the challenge other member(s) would label me as that guy so I've experienced. On in between days I'll try my 12g slug gun.
Good luck to all and shoot straight!
Old 11-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Banned

Why wouldn't all crossbow guys do it? I read it right here on AO that they are more effective than rifles, are a trespassers dream due to no noise, can be shot out the windows of vehicles and are so easy to use a 4 year old is proficient out to the next time zone.
Maybe take a guess why nobody is responding....
Old 11-07-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
Why wouldn't all crossbow guys do it? I read it right here on AO that they are more effective than rifles, are a trespassers dream due to no noise, can be shot out the windows of vehicles and are so easy to use a 4 year old is proficient out to the next time zone.
Maybe take a guess why nobody is responding....
Well done Bambi. I can't wait to read the response from someone who doesn't get it.

I will use my xbow once I have all my novices tagged out. I have five first timers to try and put on shootable does and little time to exercise the patience to wait for a WT doe to walk by for myself. And on closing day, if the tag is still empty, 270 WSM.

I am not as hardcore as LC but I understand why it has some much appeal. To be blunt, the xbow is a serious challenge and therefore, more fun.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 PM

I am just surprised for as many guys who own crossbows and lobby to use them, not many seem to go after it? As I type this from under a spruce tree in an open rifle WMU with my compound in my hand....am I silly for using a bow right now? I have quite a few perfectly good rifles at home. At this stage in my hunting I am all about the method/experience end of things. I just figured we would see more guys/gals who enjoy X-bows to use them?

LC
Old 11-07-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I am just surprised for as many guys who own crossbows and lobby to use them, not many seem to go after it? As I type this from under a spruce tree in an open rifle WMU with my compound in my hand....am I silly for using a bow right now? I have quite a few perfectly good rifles at home. At this stage in my hunting I am all about the method/experience end of things. I just figured we would see more guys/gals who enjoy X-bows to use them?

LC
Time LC time. Not all have the time to put in. I am envious of you current place under the spruce tree. Maybe post a picture of the sights you have in front of you?
Old 11-07-2016, 05:45 PM

LC
Old 11-07-2016, 06:00 PM

Awesome. Here's hoping. Next picture....
But it's near closing time here right now.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Any of the dedicated crossbow guys (permit or not) still using them for November-December?

I am planning on sticking out this whole season with the bow, might take a muzzle loader into Camp Wainwright (primitive season draw)....but I would have to borrow one from a buddy. Otherwise it will be bow there for that draw too.

LC
Good for you Lefty. I doubt that you are really curious - nothin' like pushing hot buttons eh ? Just to let you know that many less capable X-Bow and Rifle hunters are completely in awe and totally envious of your accomplishments and abilities. Feel better now ?

Move up to an X-Bow and see how it goes !
Old 11-07-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Good for you Lefty. I doubt that you are really curious - nothin' like pushing hot buttons eh ? Just to let you know that many less capable X-Bow and Rifle hunters are completely in awe and totally envious of your accomplishments and abilities. Feel better now ?

Move up to an X-Bow and see how it goes !
LOL....yup I was curious that's why I asked. I assume you use a crossbow? Last year there was a couple crossbow animals shared here. This year I have seen one so far. Figured with the warmer than usual weather we might see a few more folks out.

If there comes a time where I cannot draw a bow to a legal hunting draw weight, then likely I will try to get a permit to use a crossbow. Until then I'll stick with the bow.

LC
Old 11-08-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
LOL....yup I was curious that's why I asked. I assume you use a crossbow? Last year there was a couple crossbow animals shared here. This year I have seen one so far. Figured with the warmer than usual weather we might see a few more folks out.

If there comes a time where I cannot draw a bow to a legal hunting draw weight, then likely I will try to get a permit to use a crossbow. Until then I'll stick with the bow.

LC
Hopefully I'll be able to share a pic of my crossbow animal

On a side note: 2 tours and a shoulder each were the victims. At best I can draw my 60lb Bowtech Carbon Icon (the lightweight puts less stress on arms and shoulders at least it feels that way) which replaced a Hoyt and a Mathews.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:32 AM

**Sigh**

Enjoyed the pic of your view LC... I'll have to hunt vicariously through you today!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:04 AM

I'm heading out with a crossbow on Thursday. I'm getting an ultrasound done on my shoulder tomorrow. My Dr thinks I tore a muscle years ago and it never healed properly. But if that's not the case, I'll be in Physio trying to get my rotator cuff in decent shape and will be buying a bow. For me it's more about being in the field. Of course I want to take some game, and already have a meat doe in the freezer with my rifle. But I just love being out there. And if I can't get this shoulder working right, I'll take the handi capped sticker and will be out with my crossbow. I'm also a new Hunter when it comes to big game atleast. So big learning curve ahead either way.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:12 AM

Default Crossbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
I'm heading out with a crossbow on Thursday. I'm getting an ultrasound done on my shoulder tomorrow. My Dr thinks I tore a muscle years ago and it never healed properly. But if that's not the case, I'll be in Physio trying to get my rotator cuff in decent shape and will be buying a bow. For me it's more about being in the field. Of course I want to take some game, and already have a meat doe in the freezer with my rifle. But I just love being out there. And if I can't get this shoulder working right, I'll take the handi capped sticker and will be out with my crossbow. I'm also a new Hunter when it comes to big game atleast. So big learning curve ahead either way.
Good luck with that...getting that permit ain't easy. I tried when my bicep was detached and even that wasn't enough of a handicap.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
Hunting a bowzone or an open rifle zone, primitive weapon season?

LC
Old 11-08-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:

LC
If you are around Red Deer grab my TC blackpowder,firing caps, ammo- 50 cal ballistic tip Hornady slugs to boot.
Good luck to ya either way.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Good luck with that...getting that permit ain't easy. I tried when my bicep was detached and even that wasn't enough of a handicap.
I'm not expecting to get it. Only reason I got a crossbow in the first place was because I was just naive and Illinformed. Have a bad right shoulder and thought it would be the way to go. In the past year I edumacated myself and realized the restrictions on them, and went to the DR to make sure my shoulder could handle a bow. DR thinks it's either 1 of 2 things. Either after my first couple times blowing my cuff. I probably just found ways to not use it and compensated with other muscles leaving it weak. Or a tore muscle that never healed right. And a possibility of surgery. Who knows. I think it's the first. Which just means some good Physio and starting with a bow on low poundage. It will take a while to streghthen it I'm sure. But that's fine. Will be selling the crossbow most likely right after the primitive weapons hunt in Dec, If I go. Or more or less find some land to hunt on. I just wanna be out there for now. Then head up to a good bow shop in Calgary and get set up. Then practise like crazy for next season.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
If you are around Red Deer grab my TC blackpowder,firing caps, ammo- 50 cal ballistic tip Hornady slugs to boot.
Good luck to ya either way.
Thank you for the offer! I might just take you up on it. With only 3 days to hunt, it's tough to get any scouting done.

LC
Old 11-08-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Hunting a bowzone or an open rifle zone, primitive weapon season?

LC
I'm hunting an open rifle zone. It's family land and he has a ton of deer but he only lets Hunter on his lease land. Besides his one friend. Just try my luck. Plus if I'm going to be getting into Bow hunting, this may be good education on how to hunt with such a limited range. Already have 2 tree stands and 2 blinds up. If I get one I get one. Than I've got a lead on some land for the Dec primitive weapons hunt. It's a pretty sure thing, I'm going to talk to the farmer in person on Wed.
like I said, I just want to be out there. Always been an avid hiker, outdoorsy guy. But the hunting bug really hit me last year.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Banned

kman, your injury/disability has to be permanent/non-repairable in order to get a crossbow permit. You have to get your Doctor to fill out the forms attesting to your injury being permanent. If it can be repaired with surgery you won't get it.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Mods please move this thread into the general hunting category!...

Old 11-08-2016, 03:04 PM

Here is a buddy of mines deer shot on Sunday in a general zone.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Here is a buddy of mines deer shot on Sunday in a general zone.

That is awesome, good on your buddy, never feel bigger or better by the way you choose to harvest a legal game animal.

Old 11-08-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
kman, your injury/disability has to be permanent/non-repairable in order to get a crossbow permit. You have to get your Doctor to fill out the forms attesting to your injury being permanent. If it can be repaired with surgery you won't get it.
Nope I know a few who got it over a season time length, you have to reapply every year, just depends in the doctors note as per all Doctor notes.

Also know people who worked hard at rehab and went back to the bow too.

Best thing to happen is Alberta recognizes the crossbow as a bow and puts it in all archery seasons then we will not have this bs doctors notes etc.

Time will tell...

Old 11-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Nope I know a few who got it over a season time length, you have to reapply every year, just depends in the doctors note as per all Doctor notes.

Also know people who worked hard at rehab and went back to the bow too.

Best thing to happen is Alberta recognizes the crossbow as a bow and puts it in all archery seasons then we will not have this bs doctors notes etc.

Time will tell...

You mean the worst thing.....

An
Aaaannnnddddd. We're off!
Old 11-08-2016, 06:35 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Mods please move this thread into the general hunting category!...

I was thinking fishing. Yer better than this LC.