Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 06:49 PM

Default Bonefish in Belize

Just booked into Turneffe Flats on an Atoll, 30 miles off the coast of Belize. Got a Cabana on stilts right by the water. Gonna snorkel and fly fish for Bone fish and relax for 2 whole weeks

I've never done it but always wanted to and circumstances have conspired to allow it.

I've done a bunch of reading on the internet to gain knowledge, gonna have to protect from the sun for sure.

If anyone's been , I'd be interested in their advice / observations .
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 PM

Congrats! Saw it on WFN this weekend and was drooling...

You might want to read this trip review for more fishing info.
Apparently weed guards will come in handy.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:33 PM

Also this site has some interesting fishing info for your trip.

http://bitemebelize.com/
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgirl View Post
Congrats! Saw it on WFN this weekend and was drooling...

You might want to read this trip review for more fishing info.
Apparently weed guards will come in handy.
Ya, I have an acquaintance who went there , then I asked TJ and Rich at the sportsman show and Rich said Belize was great. Then Sat morning there is the exact resort.

I figured it was karma so I'm booked and just getting my gear together to leave on the 30th.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:29 PM

I spent Febuary in Belize and thought it was fantastic. The people are very friendly and the fishing was superb. I thought the Permit fishing was the best flyfishing i have ever done. Easiest to spot when tailing but they are super spooky. They sure test you for accuracy in your casts.
It was difficult in the beginning to spot the bones but got easier as time passed. They are much more forgiving than the Permit but will both rip line
off your reel fast. You are in for a treat and the reviews shine where you are headed. I took a 6 wt a couple of 8's and a 10 wt. overlining one 8 to a nine, sal****er lines are a must. The water temps run 78 to 84 F. I would suggest carrying your reels and rods on the plane. I left the lines on the reels and got questioned by security in the Dallas airport as they went through my stuff. Gord from Westwinds gave me a letter from the TSA stating it was okay and after they read it they were satisfied. It is the guys discretion ultimately who checks your bags as to whats O.K.
I use this fishpond rod/reel case as a carry on a it works well.
http://fishpondusa.com/dakota-reel-case.cfm
Have a great time!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:55 AM

Default Question for Lannie

Thanks for the info Lannie, I was just going to tie wrap my rod case to the loops on the side of my day pack as a carry one and stuff the reels in the pack but the case you provided the link for looks pretty good.

I am totally missing the point about the lines on the reels though ? What was the concern ? The fellow that wrote you the letter , Westwinds ( ?) TSA (?) and what did he say that swayed their minds please ?
Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxyzptik View Post
Thanks for the info Lannie, I was just going to tie wrap my rod case to the loops on the side of my day pack as a carry one and stuff the reels in the pack but the case you provided the link for looks pretty good.

I am totally missing the point about the lines on the reels though ? What was the concern ? The fellow that wrote you the letter , Westwinds ( ?) TSA (?) and what did he say that swayed their minds please ?
The TSA(transportation Security Association) is the U.S.A's arm of government that sets the rules for transportation in the U.S.A.
http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/
They are the people who decide what you can get on the plane with. Liquids and pointy things.... He gave me a page from their regulations that say its Okay to bring the reels on board the plane. Some of them worry that you are going to get on the plane and have the ability to strangle someone with the flyline. Don't try to put hooks in your carry on as you will lose them. I was returning from Belize City and while going through Dallas the security guy had issues with my fly gear(reels and flyline) until i showed him the page from his country's reg's. Gord from Westwind's gave me the page and told me to expect to be hassled but hand them this piece of paper. The guy at security said to me "learn something new everyday".
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 PM

You going to stay at Blackbird Caye? I'm looking at booking it. Would love to hear back after your trip.