Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

Default badger lake

Anyone been out near Badger? (Out near Mcgregor)

Need some ice updates.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM

five inches of cheesey ice yesterday (sunday) on the deeper parts of the lake. Freezes at nite. Shorelines a bit iffy where there is shallows. No snow on ice and slippery. We were fishing close to middle in 25 feet of water. Saw holes near northwest retainer dam and at inlet canal where others have fished. Holes were chipped out and the blocks they chipped out were 5 inches thick.

6 perch 7-10 inches, 2 walleyes and a pike. None kept. We were targeting perch using dew worms. Chipped alot of holes.

I felt very safe, but do be carefull. Big winds predicted for tomorrow and temps at 10 degrees.

STEELHEAD
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Oi vey. Thank you! I will wait till December, My fat arse needs 8"+ to feel safe lol I have only really ever fished the far north end, about 40-50 feet straight south of the "island ( little piece of gravel and grass about 15 feet south of the launch on the north end)". Had moderate success. Tried the east side about 100 yards north of the dam and about 200 feet out from shore, must of been 3-5 feet deep, Had ZERO success.

Don't really know where to go on the lake or how deep to fish for the pike/walleye (All c&r),. I did not even start ice fishing till close to Christmas last year, and that was at clear lake, caught 2 in the 10 or so trips we made. did not try Badger till close to the end of January.

Will defiantly be out there a lot sooner this year.

What do you use for the pike? On the tip ups we had smelts and that seemed to be the only thing working. On the rod i had jigs, Jigging raps, Wildeye lures, Jigging spoons and got 1 bite all year!
Old 11-20-2012, 09:38 AM

Our favorite spots at first ice and before Xmas is along the west side and on 4-6 feet of water. Big pike cruise the shallows for whites and shiners.

We capture very large suckers in summer to use for the pike. Our second choice is a foot long, or bigger, herring from billingsgate fish store in Cal, or wherever sells them. Bigger the better. Rig it to sit horizontal with no weight and little tugs will make it flash and look injured. With that much flash, they will see it for miles.

We rarely fish for pike on that lake though. We target the perch and whites most of all. Others may have better suggestions.

STEELHEAD
Old 11-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead View Post
Our favorite spots at first ice and before Xmas is along the west side and on 4-6 feet of water. Big pike cruise the shallows for whites and shiners.

We capture very large suckers in summer to use for the pike. Our second choice is a foot long, or bigger, herring from billingsgate fish store in Cal, or wherever sells them. Bigger the better. Rig it to sit horizontal with no weight and little tugs will make it flash and look injured. With that much flash, they will see it for miles.

We rarely fish for pike on that lake though. We target the perch and whites most of all. Others may have better suggestions.

STEELHEAD
Ya, I thought a big bait might work, bought some large individual bait from Husky, must of been around a foot, had it on the north side in February, didn't even get a sniff haha. I will be out there asap tho! Just need a few more inches.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:18 PM

GET A WINDLASS TIP UP , smelts and herring
Old 12-03-2012, 01:40 PM

hey guys...just buy the chub macherel from superstore....there anywhere from 5in to 8in and shine on bottom just fine....lots of luck with hogs with this bait...and remember, lets keep it a sport and release the big ones for spawning and barbless