Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Default Mosbos' thread got me wondering.......

....how many of you have lost a rod down the hole?

How about 2 in one afternoon?

A few years back my good buddy and I were fishing for pike in very shallow water, about 3 feet. I had one rod in the rod holder, and something big and fast hit it and it was gone before we could even react.

I thought "no way thats happening again" so I baited up another rod, and set it up sort of wedged into the handle of my ice auger. A few minutes later we heard 'clank clank' and the rod was whipping up and down, then popped out and down it went! I was a bit quicker on that one, but still ended up wet up to my elbow and down another rod!

Ahhh, good memories! ( my buddy still laughs at me everytime we ice fish...)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM
Banned

it is kind of funny but i think it's time to get better rod holders.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 AM
Banned

lost one to a big trout last year. never again.

rod locker fo life
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 AM

i found a rod down a hole once in a shack i rented, the fishing camera found it and i put on a jigging rap to get over sideways enough to snag it. Beauty part was it was brand new not even a scuff on it.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 AM

Lost one on the boat once pulling it out on the rod holder ....just slipped Almost lost one walleye fishing shallow see the rod getting a bite slowly walking over a zip there it went down the hole quickly lungged my hand hown the and just grabbed the reel handle.

I was fishing out in Hardy one year for Halibut in 300 FOW and caught a nice rod and reel a $400 dollar rig plus line and the mudraker... still using it today!! Would have been ideal if the Hali was still on the hook!!!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:55 AM

My daughter, wife and I were fishing Slave a few years ago. My wife required help bringing in a walleye so my daughter put her rod down on the edge of the boat. I saw the rod go over the side of the boat and try and I might I could not snag that rod with the biggest treble hook I had. I went back to jigging and sure as heck I hooked the rod. I said to the daughter, get ready there will be a walleye on the end. She laughed, and guess what, she had a walleye on the end. BEL
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 AM

We were ice fishing a few weeks ago on Keho and a buddies flag went up and then disappeared. The warm weather had washed out the whole and the tip up went through it. After watching the tip-up disappear under the ice he went and got another one. An hour later the new tip-up flagged. As he brought up the line he noticed he had a second line. Sure enough out came his other Tip-up. The bonus was he had a 10 lbs. pike on it. We all had a great laugh.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
We were ice fishing a few weeks ago on Keho and a buddies flag went up and then disappeared. The warm weather had washed out the whole and the tip up went through it. After watching the tip-up disappear under the ice he went and got another one. An hour later the new tip-up flagged. As he brought up the line he noticed he had a second line. Sure enough out came his other Tip-up. The bonus was he had a 10 lbs. pike on it. We all had a great laugh.
Holy!! What are the chances? That is awesome.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky_Mark15 View Post
Holy!! What are the chances? That is awesome.
Must not be too bad..haha, couple years back my brother in law and myself were out on the ice in the shack. We heard the bell on his rod so we ran out and sure enough the rod was gone. This was at about nine in the morning. At about two in the afternoon, he had another bite. He set the hook and pulled up a nice pike and his other rod along with it. They sure don't seem to travel to far in the winter.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM

It happened to me twice in one day this year at Cavan, and only the rod holder saved the rod. Both times the fish so hard it pull the rod and rod holder went down the hole. In fact the only thing that saved rig was that the rod holder got wedged in the hole. Funny thing was that one fish real nice, close to 20"; the other was small, maybe 14 inches.

Lost a fly rod at Beaver a couple of years back. New sage outfit, first time out. Put the rod down to help a friend net a fish, and looked back just in time to see my fly rod going over board.

So I know from personal experience it can happen!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:42 PM

My dumb@$$ cousin left his tackle box, lunch kit and two rods on swim platform of my old boat as we were preparing it to go down the highway back to Calgary.

We got to his place, and hour and half and 200km later and he realized where he left it.

Only his lunch box (soft bag style) was still there as it wedged itself in the ladder part. The rest of the stuff was probably scattered down the highway.

Probably $500-$750 worth of stuff ...................... gone.

The sandwich was still good at least. Nothing like warm ham and mayo.