Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-22-2015, 07:40 PM

Default Bowhunting regulations alberta in 1979

I was digging through some old papers and found a 1979 alberta big game regulations. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I was bowhunting then, a lic was $5.00 and you received one tag. You were able to hunt most big game species during a short season, with that single tag. When you shot a animal you were done hunting till rifle season opened. When rifle season opened you could purchase rifle tags and hunt with a bow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.9 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
I was digging through some old papers and found a 1979 alberta big game regulations. Thought some of you might find it interesting. I was bowhunting then, a lic was $5.00 and you received one tag. You were able to hunt most big game species during a short season, with that single tag. When you shot a animal you were done hunting till rifle season opened. When rifle season opened you could purchase rifle tags and hunt with a bow.
Those were some fun times!Seems things are a whole lot more complicated now.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:14 AM

Outstanding stuff LLB...
I was also living in Red Deer then...newly married with first child...broke as could be...but I worked hard and managed to update from a Bear generation 1 compound to the latest greatest technology bow which was the new PSE Phaser I believe...

Got a new hunting side quiver...that was a WOW for me as I used to carry hunting arrows by hand in a homemade leather tube...lol

I met you around that time period LLB...
You were hands down my bowhunting mentor to look up too as you were the best bowhunter and shot in Alberta to me...I remember in early 80s when we organized the original Bowhunter 3D shoots...and did the circuit...you won them all...!!!

I was fortnate to win a few...but Only because I belive you were not there...lol
Was a member of ABA then too and they were doing so much for us bowhunters...I have a patch from then...back then ABA was Alberta Bowhunters & Archers...
Thanks for the flashbacks....lol

Neil
Old 05-23-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
Those were some fun times!Seems things are a whole lot more complicated now.
I believe it's better now, more opportunity for bow hunters, more complicated I agree with that also. I credit ABA with improving the bow seasons, a lot of volunteer man hours and dedication benifits all bow hunters today.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=L.O.S.T.Arrow;2843106] Outstanding stuff LLB...
I was also living in Red Deer then...newly married with first child...broke as could be...but I worked hard and managed to update from a Bear generation 1 compound to the latest greatest technology bow which was the new PSE Phaser I believe...

Got a new hunting side quiver...that was a WOW for me as I used to carry hunting arrows by hand in a homemade leather tube...lol

You were hands down my bowhunting mentor to look up too as you were the best bowhunter and shot in Alberta to me...I remember in early 80s when we organized the original Bowhunter 3D shoots...and did the circuit...you won them all...!!!

I was fortnate to win a few...but Only because I belive you were not there...lol
Was a member of ABA then too and they were doing so much for us bowhunters...I have a patch from then...back then ABA was Alberta Bowhunters & Archers...

Neil[/QUOTE
Where did the time go? Thanks for the kind words, I did win some but what I remember the most was the personal challenge of trying to improve, and pure enjoyment of participating with a group of like minded people. I remember that crest aiso but don't think I still have it. Hope to see you at some 3ds this year, I am planning on attending as many as possible and shoot in the new hunter class.
Old 05-23-2015, 01:23 PM

LBB explained to me the other day how things used to work for 3d....broad heads and cardboard targets made by the participants....that's dedication to the sport!

LC
Old 05-23-2015, 03:57 PM

I remember drawing out a full size moose...cutting layer after layer of cardboard...painting it....in the shade it looked like the best looking stump with antlers in the bush!!!...lol
Neil
Old 05-23-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
LBB explained to me the other day how things used to work for 3d....broad heads and cardboard targets made by the participants....that's dedication to the sport!

LC
Those shoots...field point ...are the focus of my wanting the old Bowhunter 3D shoots back and my imputed to the committee. ..I mentioned wins but certainly wasn't the objective..merely a result of these shoots improving a bowhunter...
..as LLB states ...they were so fun and comerodity was unreal...I still hunt and shoot with several of those shooters..

To relive those shoots at the ABA Bowhunter shoots is going to be so enjoyable!!!

Neil
Old 05-25-2015, 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=LBB;2843240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Outstanding stuff LLB...

Neil[/QUOTE
Where did the time go? Thanks for the kind words, I did win some but what I remember the most was the personal challenge of trying to improve, and pure enjoyment of participating with a group of like minded people. I remember that crest aiso but don't think I still have it. Hope to see you at some 3ds this year, I am planning on attending as many as possible and shoot in the new hunter class.
Here's a real flashback...sits on my first straight limb Bow press that I believe than you and Joan once owned from the old "Archers Nook" shop...

Neil
Old 05-25-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Outstanding stuff LLB...

Neil
X2 on LBB's dedication to the sport of bowhunting.I also knew LBB back then,He never missed an opportunity to promote and involve new people in the sport.If there was an award for dedication to the sport he should get it hands down.This sport needs more people like him.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
x2 on lbb's dedication to the sport of bowhunting.i also knew lbb back then,he never missed an opportunity to promote and involve new people in the sport.if there was an award for dedication to the sport he should get it hands down.this sport needs more people like him.
:d x 1000
Old 05-25-2015, 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=L.O.S.T.Arrow;2844844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post

Here's a real flashback...sits on my first straight limb Bow press that I believe than you and Joan once owned from the old "Archers Nook" shop...

Neil
That bow press was designed by myself and ken shrouderues and welded up by ken. We had it at archers nook in red deer. First archery range in red deer. I am glad you have it Neil and hope it still works for you.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
X2 on LBB's dedication to the sport of bowhunting.I also knew LBB back then,He never missed an opportunity to promote and involve new people in the sport.If there was an award for dedication to the sport he should get it hands down.This sport needs more people like him.
Thanks pseelk
I get rewarded ever time I see the smile on a new archers face, when they shoot well. No need for anything more.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:17 AM

[QUOTE=LBB;2845451]
Quote:
That bow press was designed by myself and ken shrouderues and welded up by ken. We had it at archers nook in red deer. First archery range in red deer. I am glad you have it Neil and hope it still works for you.
Learned to tune bows on that press, Got the press when I worked at Archers Nook when Joan was retiring...modified it a little as bows advanged...

Once bows advanced to reflex riser and limbs the press was retired, We have three other presses two of which are hydraulic and my main press which is a cuatom hydraulic and electric..

Now with a foot petal I can put any bow in this modern press and with the foot petal press the bow in seconds...once work is done a simple pess of the foot petal in oppisite direction relaxes the bow and its out of the press...no adjustments for width, no straps, no hand cranking....lol its a dream.

However I use the old press when a older straight limb bow comes in and other presses are being used...Just to let her know she is still appreciated...as in picture she holds always cuddles my favorite bow full time...lol

Some history there and the old ABA patch on her seems fitting also and that press will always be here as long as I am...lol

Again Thanks...
Neil