Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Banned

Default Your worst rifle/gun ever..

I'd have to say my worst ever was a squires bingham .22 magnum.

I don't remember the model N0. but it was a bolt action with a 5 shot magazine/clip..lol

It would load and fire with no problems but the extractor would not pull the empty casings out of the chamber..

I always had to use a knife blade to extract the empties....grrrr...this got old real quick..

I sold it and lost money....no big deal...I hate ****ty guns...

I would however like to hear about any ****ty guns that you may have had..
Old 02-13-2009, 10:30 PM

my savage mark II, same problem as you jester.. shoots fine won;t extract casings either, cleaned the dang thing and everything would shoot about 10rounds fine then after that stope extracting even after changing the extractor claw still the same... still have it.... still locked up and hidden.

Had a remington 710, loved the gun for how well it shot for such a cheapy but i shot way to much to make this gun feesable as a long term rifle for me. After putting a few hundered rounds through it over the year at the range, came down to a few weeks before my moose hunt and went to make sure the gun was in at the range bolt lock sheared off and ejector pin was pooched. Bought a tikka t3 same caliber the next day, and got replacement parts for the 710 from westren gun parts and threw in the new parts and sold it to my cousin who shoots about 20 rounds a year.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 PM

No one rifle really stands out, but iIdid have a Marling12 gauge that would jam at the most inconvenient times!
it was an open hammered 12, and I shot BP with it.
The take down mechanism was a bit trashed out, and I was forever having to repair it.
Eventually sold it to someone who figured they could fix it!
cat
Old 02-13-2009, 10:47 PM

A WAR out, pitted tire iron .303 british. The second last time I shot it I was doing a mercy shot on a deer from about 5ft away, so I aimed between the eyes, shot, and it richocet off its head, followed up from about an inch away and that was the end of both. ( I have yet to see a modern rifle chambered for the
.303 British )
Old 02-13-2009, 10:49 PM

Stoeger 2000
Old 02-13-2009, 10:54 PM

My 12 gauge 870. I know how reliable they are I own a couple. But this one is just a lemon it started jamming right after I took it out of the box. I can shoot 50 rounds of clays it wont jam once, take it duck/grouse hunting when it counts it will jam every time.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 PM

My worst ever was a Remington Sendero in 338 RUM. It would log jam the shells in the mag after the bolt was pulled back or just spit them out entirely. I sent it to Rem and found out how useless their warranty is. They have none. They don't care and won't support their cr@p product. I was left with a useless gun and told to never bother them again as they could do no more.
I sold the gun but the guy was tearing it down to build a target gun any way so would probably get it working as he had a real gunsmith who was getting paid to do non warranty work.
Just a little bitter.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 02-14-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'd have to say my worst ever was a squires bingham .22 magnum.

I don't remember the model N0. but it was a bolt action with a 5 shot magazine/clip..lol

It would load and fire with no problems but the extractor would not pull the empty casings out of the chamber..

I always had to use a knife blade to extract the empties....grrrr...this got old real quick..

I sold it and lost money....no big deal...I hate ****ty guns...

I would however like to hear about any ****ty guns that you may have had..

I have a cheap .22 that shoots well with good ammo. Put super x in it and it will grab every second caseing. I dont know how many grouse flew away while i scrambled with my knife.If I use Remington in it it has never ever done that.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:42 AM

Midland Parker Hale in 30-06. Bought it brand new and it was a piece of junk.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Gone Hunting

A model 710 Remington chambered to 270. Good lord, the good times....

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-14-2009, 06:20 AM

Swiss straight pull military rifle (don't remember the model) that had been re-chambered to .30-30. It shot 1 foot groups at 25 yards and you had to jump on the bolt to eject the spent cartridge case.

r
Old 02-14-2009, 06:47 AM

Savage 111 in 7mm rem mag. It would extract a fired case, but it wouldn't eject it. The scope base holes were drilled out of line, and I had to cheat the mounts as much as possible, yet the scope was still cranked all the way right. And that flimsy plastic stock flexed all over and the thin buttpad beat me up worse than any other 7mm I'd shot. I'm just happy that it was actually a friends gun he dropped off. It's still in my room, he's not sure what to do with it himself. I'll never buy a Savage centrefire myself.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:30 AM

A Winchester model 670 in 30 06. Never could get that rifle to shoot a good group. Bought it new in 1978 with a Weaver 3x9 scope on it for $300.00. It actually shot factory ammo better than any thing I tried to reload for it.Ended up trading it for a sporterized Carl Gustav 6.5 x 55 that shoots beyond belief.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:41 AM

sadly, a remington 870 wingmaster, if you can believe that.....i parked my trusty old 870 for this newer, got it from a friend of a friend that only shot it on Sundays after church......
Pheasant hunting was a disaster - it would only jam when birds were present..
it was such a nice guy too.....donated it to my son, who is fiddling around with it.....
got back the old 870 and moved on
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 AM
dubbya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG AL View Post
Midland Parker Hale in 30-06. Bought it brand new and it was a piece of junk.
X2, mine was a pile of.... as well.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Default two

Lakefield semi 22 always jams single shot shotgun some maclouds version would fire but extracter would jump over spent round and then out came the screwdriver and yes that pinch between the thumb and forefinger ouch
Old 02-14-2009, 10:03 AM

Smile

I must be only lucky one I never had a bad firearm.

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 02-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Worst piece of junk ever?

TOZ 14 - .22 lr. Russian made - communist era rendition of a target rifle.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 PM

anything built by cooey,
12 gouger single shot break action openeing lever would remove peices of
bark from my thumb and forfinger web much blood was lost

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM

I bought a Remington SPS in .300 Win mag when they came out.
That rifle couldn't shoot a group no how.
I tried hundreds of reload combinations aswell as factory ammo.
I finally sold it at a loss just too be rid of it.
I have read on several forums that others have had great luck with an SPS but mine must have been a dud.
none the less i would never buy another one .
I replaced that SPS with a Tikka .300 wood stock and I am tickled pink with the accuracy of the Tikka. i doubt I will ever buy another hunting rifle as the Tikka meets and exceeds all my needs.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

I've got an old mossberg bolt action 16 guage, its nowhere near as bad as what some of you guys are talking about but it dosnt feed very smoothly at the best of times and is prone to jamming. Its got a poly choke on it and the barrel is ported just befor the choke. As long as the shots are spaced out my ears can handle the abuse but if I need to make 2 shots in quick succession and it does not jam my ears will be ringing for hours.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM

Default Mauser 7 X 57

This gun could make any hunter into a vegan. It was a 7mm Mauser made by mauser sometime in the last ice age. It had light recoil but had a very funny accuracy pattern, we could go to the range and get it fairly accurate at 100yrs (say 2" group) then take it out hunting and not be able to hit the broad side of a barn. I'm quite sure it was the gun as it had a Burris scope that was properly mounted. It's last outing ran me thru just over a box of shells to kill one whitetail doe (not too sure if it died or just gave up), not a shot over 70 yds and I only hit it twice. In hindsight the barrel was pitted and I think it caused the bullets to tumble.

At the time I was fairly broke and so it was sold off...today I would have taken my chopsaw to it. I'd be happy to apologize to the fella that bought it.

Zeke
Old 02-15-2009, 01:51 AM

Have a Rem 700 in .22-250 that does not shoot straight. Although it made me go buy a Sako in 222 that I love, so it's maybe not that bad after all.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Banned

Winchester 1001. They blew up, that is why they were all recalled
Old 02-15-2009, 09:03 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222rem View Post
I must be only lucky one I never had a bad firearm.
Nope, me neither
Old 02-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Default Almost

I have to say that one gun I bought was supposed to shoot around corners. It was junk. The guy gave up on it and missed elk and deer with it. No good for nothin. So in my stupidity I bought it. It shoots 3/4" groups for me and seems to be on the fast side over the chrony for the amount of powder used. SWEET

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 02-15-2009, 09:23 AM

Remington 700 Alaskan Ti. A few guys might recall my rant about this rifle and the lack of customer service and product support at Russel Sports.

The rifle would not feed or eject. Rounds caught up in the skeletonized magazine and jammed against the feed ramp at odd angles. Live cartridges, empty casings and SnapCaps would all remain in the chamber when the bolt was drawn to the rear. Warped and twisted stock that exerted significant pressure down one side of the barrel. Angled twist on the pistol grip. A measured 25 pound trigger pull. Multiple knicks, scratches and machining flaws covered most metal parts. Rifle appeared to have been fired many times due to the brass ring around the firing pin protrusion on the bolt face and the excessive carbon residue throughout the action.

I won't ever spend another penny in Russel's or any other parts of the chain. I was a die-hard 700 fan but have now become extremely cautious around all Remingtons.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:06 PM

Gevarm .22 semi. Scary, because it was an open action semi auto rifle. Started off as a semi, but after a while on its own, it became an auto, unloading a 30 shot clip in less than 5 seconds!!!! Now in the gun cabinet, magazines put away, and never to leave.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM

Remington model 721 in .270. sometimes it would fire as soon as you closed the bolt. good thing I always hunt alone.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Worst

Had to be a .22 Cooey that was given to me. I was 17 y/o (1975) and went out gopher hunting with it. I didn't notice that part of the ejector was missing and when I shot at a gopher I felt something hit me right between the eyes. I bled like a pig. It was part of the shell casing being blown out of where the chunk of ejector was missing. Couldn't get parts for that old P.O.S so I threw it out.