Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Default North ram river and tributaries

I will be making a trip to this area in late July and was wondering what flies work well and some other tips on fishing that area. Thanks so much for any input
Old 03-12-2014, 03:30 PM

The smaller the dry the better!
Old 03-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Flip over some rocks and put a matching nymph on
Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Orange stimulator for dry action.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 PM

PMD's in the Morning/evening. Stimies in the afternoons! maybe run a dropper if ya want!
Old 03-13-2014, 06:46 PM

Tip: It is Alberta, expect to see people everywhere...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 PM

I've never ram a dropper on the north ram but I think I should try it.
I always seem to use straight dry fly.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP2 View Post
Tip: It is Alberta, expect to see people everywhere...
Try fishing mid week...
Old 03-15-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
Try fishing mid week...
I've found the secret is out of the hat, people start booking off mid week to avoid, and its not a helluva lot better anymore.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:14 AM

Was there once last year and didn't have much success. Looked like the floods really changed the river. Basically straightened it out a lot. Maybe I didn't go downstream far enough. I used small stimulators the year before and had great success.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaanders View Post
Was there once last year and didn't have much success. Looked like the floods really changed the river. Basically straightened it out a lot. Maybe I didn't go downstream far enough. I used small stimulators the year before and had great success.
I noticed the river changed a lot.
Did a quick hike but dint fish it.

They'll be back....
Old 03-16-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I've found the secret is out of the hat, people start booking off mid week to avoid, and its not a helluva lot better anymore.
I have found that if it is mentioned on here you are bound to have lots of company. There are no secret waters but why advertise where you like to fish? Bragging about how many fish and naming the water? Asking how a stream is on here is going to bring more fisherman including people who are not members on the forum. Getting on here and spouting how well you did on the "I am a legend in my own mind river" and then 2 months later moaning about how busy it is getting now compared to the good ole days? There is no gain by being a blowhard.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:43 PM

People are coming to these spots whether we talk about it on here or not. If you want less people go during the week. If you don't mind a crowd go on the weekend. Try walking away from the parking lot. Hike in somewhere...I have no trouble finding quiet weather i go midweek or on family fishing day..
Old 03-16-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstix View Post
People are coming to these spots whether we talk about it on here or not. If you want less people go during the week. If you don't mind a crowd go on the weekend. Try walking away from the parking lot. Hike in somewhere...I have no trouble finding quiet weather i go midweek or on family fishing day..
When you talk about your success on here the traffic increases substantially. It is nothing more than chest pounding.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
When you talk about your success on here the traffic increasesmk substantially. It is nothing more than chest pounding.
Agreed...but what I said was try fishing mid week. You will encounter less people.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM

stimulators work well for bigger rivers, elk hair caddis works well for smaller streams, sometimes especially later in the season having green drakes can be very productive. I also noted they'd hit pink flies when they hit my pink thingamabobber on a slow day of nymphing. Last year was horrible. In one creek I went from very high numbers the year before to walking about 2km of creek with not a sign of fish. hopefully things are better this year.

Haven't fished the North Ram yet but the south has access by hummingbird day area NW of the falls. Try the small creeks along the way. Elk south of the falls has browns and bulls but the water is slow and they spook easily so it can be harder than cutthroat water where they just hammer anything. Fishing generally improves farther from the road.

Other than that, just be gentle on the fish I guess and keep the area clean if you can. I'd recommend debarbing hooks because it's possible to go into high numbers of releases if you're there at the right time. Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:50 PM

If the cutts are rising i will fish big dries....really anything that floats high.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
I have found that if it is mentioned on here you are bound to have lots of company. There are no secret waters but why advertise where you like to fish? Bragging about how many fish and naming the water? Asking how a stream is on here is going to bring more fisherman including people who are not members on the forum. Getting on here and spouting how well you did on the "I am a legend in my own mind river" and then 2 months later moaning about how busy it is getting now compared to the good ole days? There is no gain by being a blowhard.
There is always a few on every forum that have to try to pick a fight. No one likes fishing in a busy location. But If I have succeeded in not doing so, then so can everyone else. There are so many rivers and spots to hike to in this wonderful province. Who cares if you show a few pics and say where it is. If that's what you want to do then fly at it. If you don't... then don't. There is more to fly fishing than the world of the internet believe it or not. Heck it may be by chance that someone found your local fishing hole by a little thing called "driving". Like I have said numerous times. We fly fisherman 9 times out of 10 are a different breed. Meeting each other on the river, possibly camping next to them, sharing a few beers should be what the sport is about. Most of us respect the environment, and leave it cleaner than when we came. That doesn't happen 9 times out of 10 with your typical boat/lake/spin cast fisherman. They are the ones keeping when its c & r, or when it doesn't meet size limitations.

To each their own. Share if you want.... Don't if you don't want. Ease up and enjoy the sport.

Happy fishing..