Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-02-2015, 12:11 PM

Default Blue grouse cabin in The Willmore

Me and a buddy are headin into the Willmore this year. Horses. We will be going in from Rock Lake. We have been to Eagles Nest Pass but no further. Can a guy make the Blue Grouse cabin in 1 day? Is there a trail acoss the northern tip of the starlight range going to Blue Grouse? Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 PM

If ya left at 6am you'd be Rollin in close to midnight if things go well - coming out ya make more time though . Fat soft horses and butcheeks ain't good the first couple days.
Summit cabin is about all I'd try. You'll need to do the zenda trail to blue grouse, not sure about the starlight trial. I'd be surprized if the outfitters string went that long in a day, I haven't been in in a while.
Take your time if ya never been in and enjoy the experience.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:56 AM

would not recommend you try for Bluegrouse in one go round. Always been able to convince the rest of our group to stage overnight @ Eaglesnest then on to Summit.

We came out last trip from Summit in a real bad 2 day sleet torrential rain storm and realized it would be hell getting pack saddles to stay put once the horses backs got completely wet if staging @ Eaglesnest (+ hypothermia). We elected to ride straight thru to Rock Lake-and let me tell you, that was one of the worst and painfully long-most miserable ride's any of us had ever experienced.

Riding up thru Eagles Nest Pass in piercing driving sleet w full on thunder and lightning bouncing off the sides of the pass walls is something none of us will ever forget.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology

Last edited by creeky; 08-03-2015 at 10:09 AM.