Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2015, 06:26 PM

Ah couple 9/16 wrenches and some zipties and your gold.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:24 PM

I have older units and have only walked once in Thousands of hours
A clutch exploded that time

I always carry one length to of chain enough to do your longest chain
And check to see if your machine has different sizes of chain so you can have a little of each
Chain break
Hammer and punch
Half and full connectors

A socket set with wrenches and Allen keys
A belt ( although I've never had one go)
A set of bearings and axle seals
Grease gun
Bug spray
Tire plugs
Hand pump

Most important a magnet on an extension

Then remember turn smoothly don't jerk around
You can destroy an Argo in no time if your ramy
Old 06-18-2015, 10:22 PM

Like all the others said I have carried all the aforementioned parts never needed most but would have if I didn't have them. Probably logged over 3 to 4000 hours on them.

Old days one had to listen for a high pitched tingeing/ringing noise noise from clutch area, It usually indicated hairline cracks in the clutch plates, twice it heralded clutch failures that were caused by {IMO} people running swamps hills loaded in high gear not a problem that applies to newer units.So I have heard.

Only other surprise was the adjustable brake actuator plunger broke on my 92 was a bugger driving out with only steering brake on one side I carry an extra now. . lots of room so carry a tarp, space blanket, water coffee and a small propane stove with 2 x 1lb of gas for it as well
I use my Ranger 6X6 now most of the time but there have been time I wished I had the Argo.

Last edited by Moosetalker; 06-18-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:20 PM

Reliability in only based on ones preventative maintenance schedule. If one is to lazy to maintain- wash- lube- grease and oil the machine then probably stay on ur 4X4 quad and run it into the ground with no maintenance. For last 25 years or more I have used Argos with out a hitch ( because I take care of my equipment) same as a rifle shooting like **** BUT it the guns fault because it's for of dirt-dust- mud and crud right. Hahahaha the basic tools above are all you will ever need and most times just for piece of mind. Hint though. The best chain lube I have ever used is (manufacturer) is Walters --(product) called chain gang. Go into an industrial store like a northern metallic and the carry it. When it heats up it do not flick off chains and sticks and gets stringy to stay where is suppose to be. Also if out in wet conditions in the night times park on slanted hill( block tires) if needed or run Argo up on a log to slightly invert angle in front to pull drain plugs and drain constantly as it rains. I use to grease mine minimum every 8 hours ( 10 mins of ur time). Preventative maintenance is KEY
Old 08-02-2015, 10:13 PM

Most of the spare parts have been covered.
Make sure you have a variety of vice grips with you tough.

The best thing I ever did with my argo was to get into the habit of cleaning the tub out as often as possible. I would put the Argo up on stands, fill the belly with hot water and a wicked industrial degreaser. I would let it sit for a few minutes, and then kick the transmission into high gear and let the chains and bearings rotate in the water/degreaser mix. Once it was all mixed up, I would drain the tub, and repeat if needed. Once every dried up, I would grease and lube everything again. It sure helped to get all of the grit and crap out of the chains and drive line. You would be amazed how much smag comes out of it even when you think it's clean.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Burn it and run now. Had an Argo and it was the worst toy I have ever owned. Waste of money. Good luck. They are fun when they work but that is not for very long!
If you are mechanically inclined, do the preventative maintenance before hand and don't drive it like you stole it, they can be quite reliable, especially the newer ones. For people that have to take all of their equipment to a dealer for service, I would recommend a side by side, and stay out of the swamps.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:35 PM

i have a 2005 8x8 with 110 hrs and like previously stated preventive maintenance is very important, only takes about an hour taking your time from start to finish, i carry a couple extra chain links, belt, plugs and a can of sea foam, and a small bottle of de-icer, basic wrench set, everything in a very small tool box
Regardless of the overwhelming odds or obstacles in your path,
you always have an opportunity to overcome.
It is your attitude that will determine the outcome.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:32 AM

I have a 1991 8 wheeled magnum, closing in on 1000 hours. I carry basic tools, spare belt, hand pump and sometimes a grease gun if I'm spending lots of time in water/muskeg. Change the oil every 25 hours, and regular cleaning and service. No complaints here, the machine owes me nothing. I will need to replace the ORIGINAL 20X11X8 runamuk tires and the original (double 50) chains soon though.
I believe much of the bad press people give these machines is a reflection of how the machine is operated and how well they are maintained.
Yes, there is an exception to every rule though.

Last edited by greywolf; 11-22-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyo View Post
I have the Argo and am planning on finding out myself the good and bad. I'm not looking to be talked into or out of using it lol. I'm stubborn like that. Just wondering what I should be carrying in case of emergency such as tools, spare parts etc., as was my original question.
I had one in my last job, had it breakdown on me two hours from site a few times, the common issues were the throttle cables, bearings, and popped a tire, dang sure wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare. Beauty thing about them is lots of room to bring all you need with you.