Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM

once the hunt is over, unload the gun and close the bolt.

i dont need dirt or mud getting into the chamber. i know the gun is unloaded so i can do with it as i wish.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:18 AM

Default These threads Always go sideways ...

Not doubting the sincerity or sobriety of the OP but these unsolicited
Directions thread written in an officious tone never go well .
I'm ok with the blood , the tongue out , the picture positioning
But the no smiles ....that's the kicker . Of late a few more fairer
Sex hunters ,always smiling . Scary eh
I just assume gun safety is on the posters check list.
Again don't like it don't look . And deriding picture posters
Is against AO policy . I think it only serves to alienate prospective
Posters , whose prowess with the camera may be as equal to that
Of the Gun .
Old 07-29-2015, 08:19 AM

I don't like having the gun in the field pics. Just my own personal preference. Doesn't bother me, just prefer them without. But if I did, bolt closed. Looks stupid with the bolt open.

Question to the OP. What if the guy is using a lever action? Action open in the pic? Would look ridiculous, IMO.

Last edited by albertadave; 07-29-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:23 AM

I agree with a lot of whats mentioned above. I used to get upset when people would sit on the animal, gun in hand with the other hoisting the animals head up. Too each there own, its their animal not mine they can do what seems fitting.

However, you only get one chance at getting nice field pics so I do personally like to position the animal nicely, either cut his tongue or sow his mouth shut and I always have the weapon used in the picture. Like mentioned above the angle might look like the gun is pointing at you but often times it isn't.

If you want to take a picture of a gutted deer in the box of your truck wearing sweat pants and cabelas hoodie with your rifle above your head then giver.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post

If you want to take a picture of a gutted deer in the box of your truck wearing sweat pants and cabelas hoodie with your rifle above your head then giver.

LC
Old 07-29-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
I truly enjoy reading stories of animals taken and also love to see the pics that go along with them. The one thing I see time and time again is a picture of a happy hunter, maybe his friend or guide sharing the same excitement of an animal taken. But the one thing that p:ss:s me off more is the rifle that was used in the hunt is sitting there with the bolt closed. More often than not it is pointed right at one of the guys head in the picture. Please for the love of significant other, unload the gun properly and keep that DARN bolt open for everyone to see that it is unloaded. I don't give a rats :ss how careful you say are, if that bolt is closed on those rifles, you cannot 100% guarantee me that it is not live. Also while you are at it, rub a little snow on its nose to clean up the blood a bit and please shove that dangling tongue back in its mouth or cut it off, put it in your jacket pocket and forget for a month or so that it's in there. Also try to smile, they're free.
I could care less about a bolt. I think you are superimposing your own ungrounded assumptions on the photo. It's not the hunter's responsibility to demonstrate to people, who aren't even there and are in no possible danger, that the gun is unloaded.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
20 inch tongue hanging out the side of its mouth...
X2. And not for any moral reasons. I just think it looks ugly, that's all.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Exactly!!..my pet peeve is people that complain about pictures.....
Old 07-29-2015, 09:33 AM

First world problems, glad archery season opens shortly...
Old 07-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Exactly!!..my pet peeve is people that complain about pictures.....
Yep, much to do about trivial matters.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

Every picture tells a story...

This one tells a story of a well placed shot leading to a quick clean successful harvest...sorry to offend.

LC
Old 07-29-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Yup. I leave my bolt closed all the time. No need to Prove to YOU that she's unloalded. It's a darn picture. I imagine ur undies get all bunched reading a gun magazine? That must be pure Torture for you!?

some of you seem to miss the point. No Ramonmark you do not need to prove anything to me about anything you do. My point is i have seen time and time again field photos with the rifle bolts in a closed position. In my opinion those rifles are loaded and should be treated as such. you are done hunting and should not need to have that bolt closed. thats all I am saying and was just trying to get a bit of advice to a new hunter. It seemed that i got through to a couple of fellow hunters but a couple of you need to take a yoga class to calm down.

I personally have the solo hunter gun sock and its an easy sock to remove when you need to. Its also easy to put on after you are done hunting and have 'unloaded' your firearm and put in truck or wherever you happen to be. it keeps everything clean and dry. And yes i do get quite p:ssy when i see outdoor magazines with pics of hunters with closed bolts on their rifles. I recently was reading a Western Sportsman with a focus on youth hunting. many of the field photos showed young people with rifles (bolts closed) in one hand and a dead animal in the other. safety starts with you and hopefully doesn't end poorly. I am not one to talk as I previously was a very poor example. we had an incident with a supposed unloaded rifle and since then I have a TOTAL BOLT OPEN policy.
In many cases you are right to make sure your gun is unloaded and safe after a successful hunt. However here in grande cache I will keep my rifle loaded while I butcher and haul out my animal. Too many toothy critters up here.

Safe gun handling means being safe with where your muzzle is pointed. Not just having an unloaded gun. If I know my gun is loaded I will make sure it is being handled safely. If it's unloaded it will still be handled safely because I was taught. "All guns are loaded". Even the ones I have unloaded and that have an open action. It's just habit.

However we all have our pet peeves. One of mine is people standing around the truck after a bird hunt or in between drives with closed actions. No birds are coming and many times when hunting in large groups we don't know the gun handling habits of the aqaintances we are hunting with. Open your action so people know you are safe. Especially if you set your gun down. Too many dogs running around stepping on stuff. I think about that guy in the states a few years ago whose dog shot him after a duck hunt. Set down his loaded gun and the dog stepped on the safety and pulled the trigger with his tie in one motion. The guy drove himself to the hospital and was ok. The safety point stuck with me though.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Yup. I leave my bolt closed all the time. No need to Prove to YOU that she's unloalded. It's a darn picture. I imagine ur undies get all bunched reading a gun magazine? That must be pure Torture for you!?

some of you seem to miss the point. No Ramonmark you do not need to prove anything to me about anything you do. My point is i have seen time and time again field photos with the rifle bolts in a closed position. In my opinion those rifles are loaded and should be treated as such. you are done hunting and should not need to have that bolt closed. thats all I am saying and was just trying to get a bit of advice to a new hunter. It seemed that i got through to a couple of fellow hunters but a couple of you need to take a yoga class to calm down.

I personally have the solo hunter gun sock and its an easy sock to remove when you need to. Its also easy to put on after you are done hunting and have 'unloaded' your firearm and put in truck or wherever you happen to be. it keeps everything clean and dry. And yes i do get quite p:ssy when i see outdoor magazines with pics of hunters with closed bolts on their rifles. I recently was reading a Western Sportsman with a focus on youth hunting. many of the field photos showed young people with rifles (bolts closed) in one hand and a dead animal in the other. safety starts with you and hopefully doesn't end poorly. I am not one to talk as I previously was a very poor example. we had an incident with a supposed unloaded rifle and since then I have a TOTAL BOLT OPEN policy.

I don't walk around hunting with the bolt open on my rifle. For several reasons. I can't see why a photo op changes that approach. An unloaded rifle is unloaded. Regardless of your opinion.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-29-2015, 09:44 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I don't walk around hunting with the bolt open on my rifle. For several reasons. I can't see why a photo op changes that approach. An unloaded rifle is unloaded. Regardless of your opinion.
Correct... I know it's unloaded, that should be all that's required
Old 07-29-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
chuck you forgot to smile I think you need to read his instructions again
He's smiling on the inside
Cat
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
He's smiling on the inside
Cat
that maybe cat, but you know not smiling out wardly ,bolt closed, something very dark and disturbing going on me thinks
Old 07-29-2015, 10:16 AM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
I can't stand it when the guy positions himself way behind his kill. Anything can look big if you sit 5+ feet behind it!
The rifle is rarely actually pointed in an unsafe direction. Leaving the bolt open is not the worst idea i've read on here.

The above is hit-the-nail-on-the-head my peeve. I see its become standard operating procedure in the guiding/outfitting industry for promotional material. Does anyone think they are fooling anyone? Its become so bad that I think better photos could be produced by just taking a pic of the animal and photoshopping in the hunter's tiny, tiny head later. Sheepsh*t that bugs me.

Chuck - yeah we often cut the tongues out too, and great photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 AM

Maybe we should start a thread title ways to take better field photos to conserve the memory of the hunt (I know title is a bit long). This thread will just end up with more people not posting pics. Just an idea.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:45 AM
Banned

I for one don't understand why any of the aforementioned would even classify as a peeve and justify ranting. If it doesn't affect you, then it isn't anyone's business other than the person in the pic and the photographer. All of my pics are bolt closed to protect my chamber. You worry about your gun and I'll take care of mine.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:14 AM

holy crap this went sideways. i don't know how this thread would prevent anyone from posting a pic or two. But the responses will definitely prevent this fella from posting anything more. way to go boys, you just ran off another one.

I would like to ask one of the mods to close this thread please.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
But the responses will definitely prevent this fella from posting anything more. way to go boys, you just ran off another one.

Oh the irony....
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
You worry about your gun and I'll take care of mine.
100% agree
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 AM

I think some people need their positive strokes from others a little too much. Get a negative comment? Shrug it off.

That said, those providing comment don't need to try to invent possible offences or wrong-doing in their heads. You don't know if any laws have been broken. You can't tell from a picture how long the fish was held out of the water. You can't tell whether anti or non-hunters will be upset, or even ever see it. Don't assume. I've probably been guilty of it in the past, and it's pointless.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Banned

I'm with the "who gives a crap" crowd. It's not like I'll be hanging someone else's picture in my man cave. If someone is dumb enough to have a cocked and loaded rifle pointed at their head I'll let natural selection take its course, and if someone wants a picture of their trophy buck with 8" of bloody tongue hanging out on their mantle, rock on!

I've gotten pictures with all the flaws that drive people nuts, but as the years have gone by my field photos have progressed rather well. I'm getting my fish pictures down pat.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM

I like all the pictures, some can get a little gory but we are hunters and should be able to handle that. I guess if there is one thing it's when people sit way back too far and it looks like they are just trying to make the animal look bigger...we should try to avoid doing that, it just looks a little silly...
Old 07-29-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
holy crap this went sideways. i don't know how this thread would prevent anyone from posting a pic or two. But the responses will definitely prevent this fella from posting anything more. way to go boys, you just ran off another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Oh the irony....
That gave me a pretty good chuckle!!

Don't do it that way, you have to do it my way, then is confused that this group of guys calls B.S?? That's irony at its finest!!!
Old 07-29-2015, 02:07 PM

Sorry Calvin if I came off as a jerk. I just hate how some people feel the need to give advice when it is not needed or wanted. I have hunted with a few guys who know EVERYTHING and it takes all the fun out of something I really enjoy. They are usaly the same people trying to pump everyone for info with a week left in the season. I sure hope you will continue to post and post pictures I love seeing them and reading most of the posts.
Craig
Old 07-29-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:

You shared your opinion on an "issue", and other people shared their opinion. That's how a forum works.
I'm not sure what you were expecting.

And, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:10 PM

I really hate when my daughter forgets to even have the rifle in the picture because she is too busy getting her scarf just right for the fashion shoot with her and her first buck....but, after a 268 yard shot, I guess she can pose any damn way she wants too. The rifle was beside me, and the bolt was closed on an empty chamber so crap didn't end up inside it. And damn, his tongue was hanging out just a bit.

Oh well, I guess we will have to read the Manual For Proper Photos with Game for next season. Jesus wept.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:

Aren't you over reacting a bit? If you post your pet peeves or rants, you are bound to get reactions that are either agreeable and some not. This is what an open discussion forum is all about. No one has replied or attacked you personally in such a way that would justify you to pack up your toys and leave the sand box. And no one wishes you gone, but if you feel you should, then so be it.