Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-31-2015, 09:42 PM

Default Hunting on Skis

Has anyone every tried hunting on skis? I was looking at a pair of wider ones that are supposed to be made for the backcountry, but it seemed like it would be tough to move around unless you were on some open space. Seemed like it would be loud too.

That being said, I've heard of it having been done, and it would interesting to combine two winter pastimes. Anyone here with experience?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:47 PM

No personal experience, not that coordinated. Have a friend that shoots Biathalon and skis/hunts. Lot faster than snowshoes. Biggest issues he has are a proper sling to keep the rifle from moving around too much while skiing and a muzzle cover/protector to prevent bore from getting plugged if he took a spill.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:48 PM

I hunted for grouse a few times on my cross country skis. It was a lot of fun and I didn't do too bad either. Might work for other species, pretty tough unless you following cutlines or old logging roads. I loved it and the grouse didn't seem to be all that bothered by the noise.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 PM
Banned

I've done a fair bit of coyote hunting back east on XC skis,travelling on power lines,pipelines,haul roads,frozen rivers,streams,lake shores,and snowmobile trails.
Much faster then snowshoes,much quieter then a sled or quad.
Depending on the terrain and wind,I'd generally set-up for a calling stand every mile or so,sometimes less in very hilly country,pretty much just best guessing how far my calls were reaching and judge accordingly?
On a good full day from dawn to dusk with a well planned circle route I could get 8-10 stands in.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:14 AM

I took a bull moose from skis. They work best if you use a double sling (biathalon style) on the side of the gun stock and stay out of weeds and brush. It was -30C. and I made the mistake of wearing two pairs of wool stockings - too tight in one boot and ended up loosing a big toenail. Keep the muzzle up and covered with electric tape. Muzzle down makes a good brake when you fall on your but going downhill!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:29 AM

I deer hunted a couple of times in 936 on skis. If I did see anything, I probably wouldn't have dropped the poles and got the rifle unslung in time...but it sure was fun.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM

hunting on skis is very common in that other large northern country across the pole. Hunting skis are usually wide and sometimes have fur on the gliding surface to prevent back sliding and make them quieter. Design details very widely. If you search the net you will find a lot of info. Your style of hunting and terrain will define what you need/want.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:23 PM

Go with the alpine touring ski..I have been using regular cross country skis in the deep snow for hunting but they still break through to much. Go with a wider ski and in deep snow you will go where others don't or cant
Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 AM

I had used snowshoes as a younger fellow, until I discovered skis. It is terrain dependant however, where snowshoes win in soft snow typical of inside bush, while skis win on crusted snow, typical out of or in fringes of bush. Temperature regulation is of major consideration. With a bit of extra weight it's easy to overheat. I like to spot and stalk just to keep a rhythm going. A good quality gator is a must. I take skins, but don't ever remember using them during a hunt. Being in shape makes it enjoyable, but out of shape makes for a miserable day.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 PM

Wow, glad to see it can be done! Thanks for all the responses guys!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 AM

i see now there are a number of versions of the documentary "happy people". In the version i saw, the main trapper checked his traps etc on short skis he made whilst @ his cabin out in the Siberian bush. Got around like nobodies business.

Great movie, worthy watch and might give you further motivation.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 08-03-2015, 11:56 AM

I was sure there was a guy on AO that posted up about coyote hunting on Skis. He was using a rig similar to the ones in the link. I did a search but could not find anything......Maybe it was on PMasters?? It was a good read and interesting looking rig!

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/84359...-bindings&SS=A

Tags
hunting, skiing, skis