Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 03:12 AM

Question Side by side vs quad for hunting

hey everyone, wanna know which one is your favourite and why.hard to decide between comfort and power on one side and versatility and mobility on terrain. Thanks
Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 AM

My mid sized Polaris ranger will go anyplace that a quad will go. I have had a bull elk in the box with four passengers. Also has full cab with heater. So I vote side by side. Oh and I've only tipped it one time. Quads on the other hand.......
Old 08-03-2015, 08:47 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Both have plus and minuses, see what your bank account allows you or the wife

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:52 AM

Please buy a SXS then when we open up a cutline into a new hunting area you will not be able to get through our narrow cut logs and over our narrow bridges built for regular width quads. Happy Hunting!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Please buy a SXS then when we open up a cutline into a new hunting area you will not be able to get through our narrow cut logs and over our narrow bridges built for regular width quads. Happy Hunting!
Some side by sides are just as wide as a quad... 50" I believe so no need to make adjustment to any trails if you choose to have a smaller more nimbler side by side.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
You are going to be very dissapointed with that line of thinking.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Some side by sides are just as wide as a quad... 50" I believe so no need to make adjustment to any trails if you choose to have a smaller more nimbler side by side.
My grizzly 700 is just under 47"" wide. According to the Polaris site the 570 Ranger full size is 60" wide.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ranger-...ge-green/specs

Quote:
Overall Vehicle Size (L x W x H) 114 x 60 x 74 in. (290 x 152 x 188 cm)

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-03-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:09 PM

Polaris ranger 570 mid size is 52" wide. Cross any bridge that a quad will.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:51 PM

they have rzr's that are 50" wide. I have a rzr 1000 and love it. I rarely use it for hunting only to get to and from my hunting spot then walk in.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM

Side x sides are sittin Ducks in the muskeg up here, be nice to have around the farm though or hard ground hunting.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:03 AM

I had a sxs. I sold it and bought a quad. Never buy another one again.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM

SxS all the way for this guy
Old 08-04-2015, 11:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
SxS all the way for this guy
Me too. Have both but the quad don't see much action anymore. It's so nice to just throw all the gear in the back, not to mention to have a cab when it starts to rain on your travels.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:32 AM

Both for this guy. The full cab on the Ranger is nice on those cold mornings

The Honda is better for game recovery when you have to cut a trail into a down animal
Old 08-04-2015, 09:24 PM

You ask a good question. I struggled with that for a while. I had a quad, and then decided to sell it and buy a side x side. Had the Rhino for a couple years, but it is wider then quads and found I had to cut trails wider. I also found with the roll cage, it would get hung up against trees in tight turning trails even though a quad had no problems.

And then there is the dust issue. Man it is dusty in them if you have a windshield.

I ended up selling it, and going back to a new quad. I love the quad.

The side x side did carry an entire elk or moose a few times though.

Honestly though, I'm sure it comes down to personal preference.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Both for this guy. The full cab on the Ranger is nice on those cold mornings

The Honda is better for game recovery when you have to cut a trail into a down animal
X2 Excatly Ranger hard cab and honda combo best way to go! Also check out these neat little units best of both worlds if your not looking to travel with buddies in the same ride. http://www.polaris.com/en-us/ace-atv...s-pursuit-camo
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 AM

HAd a quad for many years. Upgraded to a mint used 2009 Yamaha Rhino that was all decked out back in the late fall of 2013. Main reason.....2 young boys want to go out with dad, and you cant take 3 out on a quad-safely. RHino has a rear roll cage and rear seat for the kids.

Most of the guys in my moose camp group had rhinos already or the newer Viking. I would of liked the Viking but the price of my Rhino was too good to pass up with all the options installed plus it was my friend's personal Rhino and he is a Yamaha dealer so I knew it was good to buy.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:00 PM

I use both. The quad for scouting & setting up trail cams in the spring & summer. The SXS in the fall for packing in the hunting gear. When the gear is hauled in, its time to hunt with the canoe, or in the tree stand or by foot.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 PM
Precisionshooter

Have both from can-am. Excellenr machines each has pros and cons. Off season use.....hard ro beat the fun they provide...
Old 08-06-2015, 07:04 AM

Honda 500 pioneer, 50" wide, add a few things to it say after market tires, winch, roof,half windshield and you can build whatever type of box etc on the rear rack that fits your fancy. Tough, reliable, small enough for tight areas, great on gas and I might have mentioned it Honda reliability!

Old 08-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Honda 500 pioneer, 50" wide, add a few things to it say after market tires, winch, roof,half windshield and you can build whatever type of box etc on the rear rack that fits your fancy. Tough, reliable, small enough for tight areas, great on gas and I might have mentioned it Honda reliability!

I've often thought the same thing. Price is higher than I would have guessed, but then what isn't.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:18 AM

I would go with a quad just for its smaller profile and its easier to get into tight spots. As far as a SXS goes you would be better off in my opion buying a old toyota or other small 4X4 and putting some good tires on it and a winch. They are hardly wider than some of the SXS now and you can carry way more stuff. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:36 AM

I find that for all day riding, a quad is more comfortable. I can stand up and drive, put one knee on the seat and drive, or sit, and keep changing positions on the fly. Ever notice when quads are approaching nasty terrain that the riders are standing? Better view of the lay of the land from up there.....to me a quad just seems more versatile.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Precisionshooter

Can-am outlander XTP has upgraded suspension...standing and kneeing in most rough terrain is a thing of the past. Commander ltd rides like a dream. Riding a quad has always been more work then the sxs even with premium suspension.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Good luck with that, I can run a chainsaw too. I've had both (RZR, Ranger midsize, and a couple quads) I like the midsize Ranger the most, it went just about anywhere the quads went.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 AM

Got a S X S last year and you could not pay me enough to go back to my Quads but where we hunt is fairly wide cut lines so getting around is not a issue so will depend on where you hunt.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:32 PM

It depends how your hunting. If your going with the wife/gf then a side by side would be more comfortable. Don't own a side x side but would think it would be hard to navigate through the bush, and you would be limited to the trails.

I have a grizz 700 and just use it to get to where I want to go before legal light, and haul game back to camp once down. I chose the quad because it is more compact and you sit in the center of it making it easier to navigate through the bush.

It would be nice to have both though!
Old 08-12-2015, 02:14 PM
Banned

How do the tracked atvs handles the cold and sno in th bush? Was thinking about renting one or a SxS this November.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:09 PM

This will always be a horrible debate skewed by opinions and preferences unless you do yourself a favor and try them all for yourself.

You are perfectly on the right track! Save some money and rent as much as you can until you settle on a machine that works best for you.
I could definitely argue all the points back and forth as well. I learned over time you can never prove anyone over the internet, you have to do it in person!

I own them all, big and small, factory 250 4x4 Timberwolf all the way to a fully decked out brand new 2015 Argo on 18" rubber tracks. All I pretty much do everyday is research and sift through BS on the internet to get an idea before I make a decision. It's crazy and I actually stress myself out pretty bad about it and second guess all my decisions cause I'm always about having the best machine for what I do in all avenues of my hunting, camping, and joy riding.

I have had amazing luck with tracks in the snow up here, but have tossed a track or broken suspension everytime I go out without the ground covered in a significant amount of snow. This was on a SXS and think other than snow, or possibly Mattracks, tracks should stay on the lighter machines like quads for the Muskeg. I had Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks and gave up on them last trip out in April even though the skeg was still frozen but tons of water for lube to prevent the tracks from derailing or pulling the hub bearings out....

They all have their place, but in the end I would leave the tracks for the dead of winter when it's too deep to easily ride a tired machine like a quad or SXS. Tracks over tires like an Argo would be the key for reliability up to snow 2-3 ft deep. I've only found one manufacturer, and they are waiting an investor for manufacturing to resume. I will be attempting to fab up my own one day if I ever find time...
Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
This will always be a horrible debate skewed by opinions and preferences unless you do yourself a favor and try them all for yourself.

You are perfectly on the right track! Save some money and rent as much as you can until you settle on a machine that works best for you.
I could definitely argue all the points back and forth as well. I learned over time you can never prove anyone over the internet, you have to do it in person!

I own them all, big and small, factory 250 4x4 Timberwolf all the way to a fully decked out brand new 2015 Argo on 18" rubber tracks. All I pretty much do everyday is research and sift through BS on the internet to get an idea before I make a decision. It's crazy and I actually stress myself out pretty bad about it and second guess all my decisions cause I'm always about having the best machine for what I do in all avenues of my hunting, camping, and joy riding.

I have had amazing luck with tracks in the snow up here, but have tossed a track or broken suspension everytime I go out without the ground covered in a significant amount of snow. This was on a SXS and think other than snow, or possibly Mattracks, tracks should stay on the lighter machines like quads for the Muskeg. I had Camoplast Tatou 4S tracks and gave up on them last trip out in April even though the skeg was still frozen but tons of water for lube to prevent the tracks from derailing or pulling the hub bearings out....

They all have their place, but in the end I would leave the tracks for the dead of winter when it's too deep to easily ride a tired machine like a quad or SXS. Tracks over tires like an Argo would be the key for reliability up to snow 2-3 ft deep. I've only found one manufacturer, and they are waiting an investor for manufacturing to resume. I will be attempting to fab up my own one day if I ever find time...
Yeah i was thinking on being up in 524 in November , which is why i wanted a tracked atv or wheeled SxS. you think it would be best to stick with a straight wheeled ATV as well?