Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 12:00 PM

Default New or Used

For the most part, I used to purchase the vast majority of my firearms new, but for the most part, my recent purchases have been used. My clays guns were both used, as well as my two go to hunting shotguns. I have also purchased more used rimfires than new rimfires over the last several years. It seems that as the prices of new firearms had gone up, good deals on used firearms have become more common. I find that as long as a person knows what to look for, and you are patient, you can save a great deal of cash by watching the used firearms market. On the other hand, if you have no idea what to look for, you can end up with someone else's problems.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:27 PM

Totally agree ! I don't think there is much doubt that there are some great buys on high quality firearms on the used market.
There is quality in older firearms that cannot be duplicated in todays productions at equivalent prices. Other than shopping the boutique manufacturers at much higher pricing, the used market is where it's at. With a bit of research a potential buyer will uncover some real jewels at bargain basement prices. Some being irreplaceable at three time their current value.

For some reason it seems that only us older guys realize that.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Totally agree ! I don't think there is much doubt that there are some great buys on high quality firearms on the used market.
There is quality in older firearms that cannot be duplicated in todays productions at equivalent prices. Other than shopping the boutique manufacturers at much higher pricing, the used market is where it's at. With a bit of research a potential buyer will uncover some real jewels at bargain basement prices. Some being irreplaceable at three time their current value.

For some reason it seems that only us older guys realize that.
SHHHHHhhhhh.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 PM

I enjoy more playing with milsurp and/cheap than expensive myself. High cost takes fun out of it for me. I like history too, like I'm looking at a CZ-75 pistol right now. Second hand. I know the buyer. Risk is minimal, no known issues with it.

Shooting SKS and Mosins with cheap surplus ammo is fun.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:27 PM

Default The only time I bought new

Was when I was getting a staff discount at WSS. Most manufacturers had a once a year plan where you could get up to 50% off or at least 40% below retail. I bought a lot of Brownings, Tikkas and even Sakos in those years but I bought a new Leupold every year whether I had a rifle needing one or not.

Perhaps it is because the current production rifles and shotguns dont interest me from a quality point of view that I generally set out to find an oldie goldie. Sometimes it can take 3 years like my 687 28 gauge or other times a ZKK Brno just happens to fall in my lap.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:36 PM

I have bought a lot of used guns, many out of the old 'bargain finder' back in it's day, some here on AO. Everything from pristine Wingmasters, to West German Weatherbys. I echo what some feel about the newer guns, just don't seem to have the fit & feel of the good old ones. They have all shot very well. Most have held their value plus, some appreciated quite nicely.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 PM

They don't make what I like so much anymore, so I buy almost entirely second hand....but not all are used. I have a few mint unfired guns that are 30, 40, even 50 years old. I like em!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-17-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For the most part, I used to purchase the vast majority of my firearms new, but for the most part, my recent purchases have been used. My clays guns were both used, as well as my two go to hunting shotguns. I have also purchased more used rimfires than new rimfires over the last several years. It seems that as the prices of new firearms had gone up, good deals on used firearms have become more common. I find that as long as a person knows what to look for, and you are patient, you can save a great deal of cash by watching the used firearms market. On the other hand, if you have no idea what to look for, you can end up with someone else's problems.
Sometimes the prices aren't deals at all. I've been shopping the used market and a used Finnlight at $1800 isn't much of a deal [for example]. I think you can find better deals if you are looking for older models.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:39 PM

I like old guns the best .
All of my match rifles except one have been removed-barrelled with top quality custom made barrels however .
Cat
Old 03-17-2018, 11:13 PM

I have several pre-64 Winchester Model 70 rifles…..hard to find those new in 2018!
Old 03-18-2018, 01:59 AM

I like new and used, never know what your going to get either way, similar to vehicles. Had lever guns, bolt and semis that needed a tune up right off the buyers line; same with used. The great part about the Internet and forums such as these, is the info for a fix is at your finger tips. Never before in history has mankind had info to others experience and knowledge. Trouble shooting a breeze and a fix, spring, polish, grind, take down etc there’s a video at you finger tips.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Sometimes the prices aren't deals at all. I've been shopping the used market and a used Finnlight at $1800 isn't much of a deal [for example]. I think you can find better deals if you are looking for older models.
A new Finnlight is $2200 so $400 and the tax savings is better than a stick in the eye. Having said that, I often see them at $1400-$1600 but they don't last long, especially the non magnums.

What ruins the used market is all the wantabe dealers grabbing up anything they think they can turn a buck on. With no over head they consider themselves business men making $100 on a $1000 sale. In the real world 10% gets you bankrupt and all these folks are doing is taking a lively hood away from honest shop owners. I have "rented" a few high end guns that I knew I couldn't afford to keep and even refinished a couple but these guys have several listed at any given time all year round. If you list a really good deal on a rifle, shotgun or equipment trying to help out a new or young hunter, you will get many immediate messages from people with high trader ratings looking to score. It's sad really and the main reason starter packages like Axis and alike are so popular.

I think there are still deals to be had if you know exactly what you want and are quick on the mouse. This is especially true of the top end stuff. Flippers don't want to have thousands tied up in one firearm and even if priced fairly, there are much fewer potential buyers the higher up the food chain you go. A quality SXS or OU maybe be a steal at 1/2 price of new but that doesn't mean there is a line up of people willing to drop $3000-$10,000 on a shotgun. In fact even $1500-$3000 guns can sit if not priced right as we live in a buy and throw away society.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
A new Finnlight is $2200 so $400 and the tax savings is better than a stick in the eye. Having said that, I often see them at $1400-$1600 but they don't last long, especially the non magnums.

What ruins the used market is all the wantabe dealers grabbing up anything they think they can turn a buck on. With no over head they consider themselves business men making $100 on a $1000 sale. In the real world 10% gets you bankrupt and all these folks are doing is taking a lively hood away from honest shop owners. I have "rented" a few high end guns that I knew I couldn't afford to keep and even refinished a couple but these guys have several listed at any given time all year round. If you list a really good deal on a rifle, shotgun or equipment trying to help out a new or young hunter, you will get many immediate messages from people with high trader ratings looking to score. It's sad really and the main reason starter packages like Axis and alike are so popular.

I think there are still deals to be had if you know exactly what you want and are quick on the mouse. This is especially true of the top end stuff. Flippers don't want to have thousands tied up in one firearm and even if priced fairly, there are much fewer potential buyers the higher up the food chain you go. A quality SXS or OU maybe be a steal at 1/2 price of new but that doesn't mean there is a line up of people willing to drop $3000-$10,000 on a shotgun. In fact even $1500-$3000 guns can sit if not priced right as we live in a buy and throw away society.
I think the point most overlooked when purchasing a new firearm in Canada that is produced in either Europe or the US is the amount of cash you drop on a Canadian gun dealers counter , is the portion of that cash that is applied to foreign currency exchanges. Add to that an additional 30% or so that provides the Dealers and Distributors with their margins, plus any additional freight charges and other levies or taxes that may be applied.

With the Euro currently at 1.558 CDN and the USD at near 1.30 plus the other add-on's, doing a little math will soon reveal that the Used Market in Canada is a literal Gold mine... regardless of what the asking price may be. In reality, that new $1200.00 or $4000.00 firearm produced in Europe or the US may not be such a great value after all.

Last edited by Salavee; 03-18-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Most of mine a few years ago were used as I had to play some catch up and what I was looking for was no longer available in certain calibers/configurations.

The shelves are full of value brand plastic throw away rifles now days it seems and with the dollar shift 3or so yrs ago the prices went up 30pts. I don't need anymore but keep my eye on the used stuff, and there is the od good deal and some fair pricing but for the most part the used has followed suit and increased with the newer pricing. I notice stuff is for sale way longer than it used to be on here and CGN, so stuff not moving like it used to.

Only new I bought in last couple years are 2 CZ 22's, pricing seems to stay consistent and the quality is there. Oh and a couple shotguns at the WSS closeout cause I didn't have a 12ga.

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 03-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFFBUFF View Post
Most of mine a few years ago were used as I had to play some catch up and what I was looking for was no longer available in certain calibers/configurations.

The shelves are full of value brand plastic throw away rifles now days it seems and with the dollar shift 3or so yrs ago the prices went up 30pts. I don't need anymore but keep my eye on the used stuff, and there is the od good deal and some fair pricing but for the most part the used has followed suit and increased with the newer pricing. I notice stuff is for sale way longer than it used to be on here and CGN, so stuff not moving like it used to.

Only new I bought in last couple years are 2 CZ 22's, pricing seems to stay consistent and the quality is there. Oh and a couple shotguns at the WSS closeout cause I didn't have a 12ga.
No doubt, used pricing has increased dramatically when compared to the old MSRP's that were in place at the time of manufacture. By the same token, used pricing, when compared to current pricing for the same basic "improved" Model eg ..Rem 700's. I just can't see where the issue is. A well maintained older 1980's version of the Mod 700 BDL at $850.00 is far superior in build and quality when compared to a current "new & improved" 700 CDL at $1200.00. Pretty much the same applies to the older Tikka models 55 and 65's at 800-$900.00 compared to the newer T-3 Hunters at near identical pricing ..as far as I can see anyway. I haven't purchased a new rifle since the mid 90's so maybe I'm missing something.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:30 AM

I'm a lever nut, especially the Savage 99's, unfortunately they're no longer made, in fact, except for Browning, the qualities not there in todays levers.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:08 AM

70% of my purchase are use firearms that I find online,gun shows and on dealer shelves at a good price with the crank on the left side. I also have been collecting Remington 14 & 14 1/2 pumps I now have all the calibers except the 38-40 .