Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Default Fishing Lake Bonavista 2mrw! (tips)

Kinda pumped! I haven't caught anything but weeds and garbage all yr....gunna buy a trout soon and have my kid take a pic of my with it by the river soon!! Lol...any tips for Lake B?? Thanks in advance for any tips
Old 06-18-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNRed View Post
Kinda pumped! I haven't caught anything but weeds and garbage all yr....gunna buy a trout soon and have my kid take a pic of my with it by the river soon!! Lol...any tips for Lake B?? Thanks in advance for any tips
I see guys bait fishing off the shore and catching lots, I think they are using powerbait. I've had some luck with powerbait in the winter but they do take little plain yellow jigs but I've never tried in the summer. Spincasters in the boats I've seen use spinners.

Personally I've never had great luck off the shore so I always take a boat out. For the last month, they have been hitting black nymphs a few feet under the indicator. It really varies in depth but I'll usually cast to rising fish and sometimes they'll hit the nymph as it hits the water and other times I have to wait for it to sink a few feet. I've had some luck trolling a nymph and dry combo as well.

The best luck I've had is the far SE part of the lake right next to people's docks. Some of the biggest I've caught were 3-6 feet out from people's backyard This is my first summer at the lake so I'm still learning the structure and locations. So far every time I've gone out I've caught at least half a dozen so they are quite eager when you are boat fishing.

If it doesn't really chuck down tomorrow, you might see me out there in the afternoon. I always have a black backpack and long yellow anchor rope with me so come chat if you see me. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:48 AM

Thanks so much!! I will keep my eye out for ya!! ;-)
Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM

The lake is a lot of fun on a float tube.
Highly recommend you try it.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedNRed View Post
I would be happy to take you and your kid out fishing on Lake Bonavista if you have access.

You need a boat...an anchor (10lb) with 25 feet of rope...fly rods with corkies and 12 foot leaders (10 lb at the tip) 8 and 6 lb tippet and an assortment of small black leeches, black chironomids, mayfly, damselfly, nymphs and green shrimp flies. Without fly rods you need 6 or 7 foot light action spinning rods...6 lb test.

Then I can show you exactly what to do.

Cheers

Kevin
Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM

I haven't fished there in about 6 years but the fishing was pretty good. Almost all the people I seen catching fish were using powerbait, with just weight and a snelled hook. Kinda like this

You can try all kinds of lures too, spinners like panther martins and mepps in the smaller sizes should do fine.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 PM

in calgary?

is there even public acess?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:25 PM

get a float, put a small lead olive about 1 m down, then a hood from there about 30 cm.

attach yellow power bait (the dough from walmart).

put float somewhere within 10m from shore or dock.

wait, sometimes reel in reaaaallly sloooow (very, very slooow). then cast again.

timing matters, best timing at this time of the year is after 9pm.

I caught a good size (45cm) trout yesterday (in another man made lake not far from buenavista) using this method, its fireproof.

good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:22 PM

Had a few hours to kill after dinner so braved the rain and hit the lake. Caught nothing during the rain and as soon as it stopped the fish were nailing my nymphs everytime they hit the water. I even had one take the nymph hanging in the water next to the boat while I was organizing my anchor.

Kept one for dinner tomorrow and the wierd thing was it's stomach was full of little hard black beetles and backswimmers. They looked nothing like my nymphs I was using so I guess either I timed a hatch right or they are extra hungry.

Next time out I'm going to try some backswimmers and see how they fare.