Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Default Tackle: When is a deal a deal?

I haven't fished enough to know but when is a deal really a deal?

Rapalas work but they are pricey compared to other brands. Flies will break apart if cheaply made. Cheap hooks will straighten out under load.

So what works other than the usual Raps, Panthers, Mepps and flies where you can safely buy cheaper hardware and flies but still get good performance?

Are there certain species of game fish that are more picky to choices. I've heard Walleye are very picky and I would suggest pike are not so much. In my limited experience, trout vary quite a bit depending on species and location.

For one, Kastmasters in rainbow and brown colors have performed well for me on the Bow and are reasonably priced. Not that any lure is really expensive but there are thousands of pieces in the stores. Which ones are hidden gems?

Any thoughts and advice?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:09 AM

I've got boxes of expensive and cheap hooks. Everything under the sun. I would estimate I've caught fish on less than 10% of them and original price is not a big factor really. This is my honest assessment. I'm heading down south for a short vacation and I assure you I'll be coming home with more...... hooks. LOL. Rick.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM

There's really no straight answer to this one - the type of fish you target will somewhat dictate the tackle you use.

Being the poor bugger that I am, I'll often scoop up items that are on sale. Earlier this season I stocked up on big spinnerbaits that were on sale at TFH, and they work great for pike and occasionally for walleye as well, and are pretty solid. Also got a handful of Rapalas at Cabela's yesterday for $5 each. not SUPER cheap, but still a very good deal, and TFH has a bunch of discontinued Storm crankbaits for pretty cheap.

Actually TFH has a whole rack of inexpensive spoons, spinnerbaits, and other lures that aren't too bad. If you're concerned about hook quality a pack of trebles isn't too expensive, and then you can just swap them out.

Ditto for cheap crankbaits - I've seen some very inexpensive ones (like Liquidation World had on for about $.50 last year) that have good action. Again, just swap out the trebles.

Jigs and soft plastics are another decent way to go. Sure you'll straighten out the odd hook if you snag bottom, but that's just part of the game sometimes

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 AM

When you buy something and you catch something on it, it's a great deal!
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
When you buy something and you catch something on it, it's a great deal!
Pretty hard to argue that logic

Murphy also says that if you buy something and it works really good, you will lose it on a snag, I always buy 2 of everything