Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM

Default NSR Fly Fishing

Was out last night near Terwillegar and noticed several fish feeding off the surface, but couldn't tell what it was that they were eating. There was one big boy in particular I tried to get to strike, but no luck. Of course the fly rod was back home in the garage, so bait for me and spoons for the Mrs. it was. No luck at all, but I was thinking of going back tonight if the rain holds off, and my fly rod will be coming with. Anybody had any luck with flies lately and care to shed some light on what I need to be putting out there? Any help is much appreciated. Thx.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:00 PM

pretty much mayflys that ride high also i wouldn't hit the NSR with out a Chernobyl ant in my box. Another great thing to try would be some grass hopper imitations as I'm starting to see more and more floating down the river.

also if the miss is spin fishing lose the spoons for the river they are just snag-magnets get some trigger x soft bodies or even those 'mr twisters' and jig them near some slack water.

" There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O'Neil, 1965 "