Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Is this a good or a bad forecast for hard water season?

"...dangerous cold in the Prairies"
Old 10-19-2017, 03:24 PM

Speaking of central area, bad. Normal temps are enough to get everyone out there early enough but the deeper the ice makes ice off that longer in the spring. A really bad cold year could spell winterkill for a good number of lakes.

If the predictions are correct,
A lot of snow early is also bad for flood water, and, just when people are thinking of getting out it then gets too cold for "fun".

Of course we will be out there and tough it out anyways
Old 10-19-2017, 09:18 PM

It would sure help if we got one of those cold spells in around 2/3 weeks, that would be perfect.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:07 AM

Looks like my little buddy shack heater will be working overtime this winter! Bring it on! If it's too cold I can always just sleep in and snuggle up nice and warm to the little wifey and throw a fishing show on later!
Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Looks like my little buddy shack heater will be working overtime this winter! Bring it on! If it's too cold I can always just sleep in and snuggle up nice and warm to the little wifey and throw a fishing show on later!
x2
Attached Images
File Type: gif ice_fishing.gif (31.9 KB, 415 views)
Old 10-20-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
That's the spirit!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:26 AM

We'll have to make it work!
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Speaking of central area, bad. Normal temps are enough to get everyone out there early enough but the deeper the ice makes ice off that longer in the spring. A really bad cold year could spell winterkill for a good number of lakes.

If the predictions are correct,
A lot of snow early is also bad for flood water, and, just when people are thinking of getting out it then gets too cold for "fun".

Of course we will be out there and tough it out anyways
Speaking of winterkill, an early snow also contributes to that. Cutting off sunlight to the oxygen-producing aquatic vegetation thats still alive early winter!
Old 10-24-2017, 01:21 PM

Default Yes and No

The early snow is NOT GOOD. The early cold IS GOOD.

Reason is, if you get lots of early snow when the ice is thin, it breaks and the water flows up through the cracks creating Flood Ice.

Imagine -40 C and still open water a foot under the snow, and the ice not really getting very strong for the whole winter. Every time you drive on the snow, you create a packed area that freezes solid, and you have a track that is very hard to stay on. If you slip off you risk high centering, getting stuck, etc.

This is very deadly on a snow mobile because the slush freezes the track when you stop. Then you can't start up again.

Now when you kick away the snow to drill a hole in the slush, more water seeps in and you are standing in water and slush trying to keep the hole clear.

Oh by the way, your auger froze up in the slush, your boots are frozen from the slush, every time you kneel down in the slush you freeze up ....

Good times!!

Drewski
Old 10-24-2017, 08:18 PM
Banned

I didn't read anything in the article that would suggest early snow for the Prairies...
Cold is great! Finally the mud will freeze, ice will form and I'll have some time to actually fish! It looks like I picked the right time to update my winter gear.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:06 AM

I like the Pigeon Lake forecast from The Weather Network. If this forecast rings true, looks like early season ice fishing in the foothills will be very possible. Nothing near zero after next Wednesday....some snow but not a lot....this could be a great start

Friday, October 27 13 Low 5
Saturday, October 28 15 Low 0
Sunday, October 29 5 Low -1
Monday, October 30 5 Low 0
Tuesday, October 31 10 Low -3
Wednesday, November 1 0 Low -7
Thursday, November 2 -5 Low -11
Friday, November 3 -8 Low -10
Saturday, November 4 -8 Low -14
Sunday, November 5 -10 Low -13
Monday, November 6 -9 Low -12
Tuesday, November 7 -8 Low -11