Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-13-2018, 08:21 AM

Default Koodo mobile?

Good morning all,
looking at switching from Bell to Koodo. Just tired of the high prices and Bell won't budge on a good deal for a new phone and decent plan price.

Koodo looks pretty good and has great coverage (Telus).
Does anyone have Koodo here?
What has your experience been like with them, customer service, any calling issues, internet speed?

Thank you for your feedback !
Old 02-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Default Koodo

Been with them for years, they are aligned with Telus. A phone locked to Telus will work on Koodo. Coverage is same as anyone on a telus plan.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

Cool

Been with koodo along time. Same coverage as telus $65 dollar unlimited data and text plus whatever internet.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:11 AM

Koodo is awesome, been on them for 4 years. Used the SK $48/mth 6gb plan for awhile, but just got the $60/10gb deal a few months ago
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM

Koodo has beeb alright for me.

Are people able to still get the Manitoba numbers with the unlimited LD and better data plans?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:22 AM

I had Bell and Rogers but dropped both of them as soon as my contracts expired. Had telus work phones, they did the job but expensive and poor customer service. Switched my personal phone to Koodo and havent looked back. I like the tab idea and if you treat your phone well you can even get a plus balance going towards your new phone down the road.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Kodoo for a long time...12 years? More? They are the best plans, price, and good coverage. Also good customer service in my experience. Don't look back.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 AM

Will add - customer service is "different" - not sure I really like it.

See this link

https://www.koodomobile.com/contact-us

Also after 5 or so years I still do not understand the tab thing really.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 AM

Thanks all!. Good to hear positive feedback
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM

I was with koodo for a long time before they started getting smartphones, then they seemed to be just as expensive as telus and they changed they way the do the tab thing for paying off your phone and added some extra monthly fees that brought them even with the big names. i switched to telus but i think i will check them out again when my contract is over. i don't think i am saving anything with telus now.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philintheblank View Post
I was with koodo for a long time before they started getting smartphones, then they seemed to be just as expensive as telus and they changed they way the do the tab thing for paying off your phone and added some extra monthly fees that brought them even with the big names. i switched to telus but i think i will check them out again when my contract is over. i don't think i am saving anything with telus now.
Their pricing is about $ 20 less per month and has a few more features than what I can compare with Telus or Bell.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM

I have been with Koodo for three years, and no issues at all.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:05 PM

Have been using Koodo for several years now - I'm really happy with them so far.

With the tab, there's incentive to pay it down earlier - as soon as you pay off your phone, you can typically opt for a lower-priced plan, and you start building credit towards your next phone.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 PM

Picked up 2 Samsungs S7 from Koodo and 2 great plans, for a cost that Bell or Telus couldn't match.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:51 PM

We set our son up with their “pay as you go” text only plan with automatic top offs. Costs us $10/month for unlimited texting for him. If he is on wifi he can use WhatsApp to make phone calls. We did bring a device , so that makes it a bit cheaper.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 PM

Koodoo is owned by Telus. It's Telus' "budget" option. If you can't afford (or don't get approved) for the latest iPhone on a Telus plan you can byod on a koodoo plan.
Telus stores are instructed to always try to sell a Telus plan first and koodoo second. Coverage is the same. Service couldn't be worse than Telus....
Old 02-14-2018, 11:22 PM

+1 for Koodoo
Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 AM

Koodo has a deal on plans right now until Feb 19. Two gigs plus unlimited talk and text for 45.00 a month and 3 gigs for 55.00. Hard to beat that price.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:21 AM

I switched to Rogers last year. For $50 a month I get the same plan I had with Bell but was paying $85 a month. What surprised me was I have heard from a few people that when they went to switch from Bell they received calls from the customer retention dept. and were offered decent deals. When I switched, nothing but crickets chirping. So Rogers it is.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpppark View Post
Koodo has a deal on plans right now until Feb 19. Two gigs plus unlimited talk and text for 45.00 a month and 3 gigs for 55.00. Hard to beat that price.
Thats the deal we got for $45, nobody out there could touch it. I spoke to Telus and Bell and their plans that match this one were $70+. What a joke, and the fact that we've been with Bell for 10 years now didn't help anything, so they lost 2 customers.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I switched to Rogers last year. For $50 a month I get the same plan I had with Bell but was paying $85 a month. What surprised me was I have heard from a few people that when they went to switch from Bell they received calls from the customer retention dept. and were offered decent deals. When I switched, nothing but crickets chirping. So Rogers it is.
I hope you have good service with Rogers. I had them for a few years back in the early 2000's and they screwed me so many times on billing errors, crappy call quality, the list goes on. They will never see me again.
If I was a billionaire, I would actually buy Rogers just so I could drive them into the ground.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:22 AM

Well, so far so good, I am very impressed with Koodo's service, easy online self-serve and the customer service in store (Deerfoot Mall) was great. Walked in and set up 2 new accounts and 2 new phones and I was out the door in 20 minutes.

The plan we got is a special on now till the 19th.
$45, unlimited Canada wide calling, texting, voicemail, etc...
2 Gb data
added on $3 long distance super saver option (which then gives me 5 cent/minute calling to where we call in Europe).
Got a new Samsung S7 for a $100, and the rest on $15 tab/month for 24 months.
So the plan is $63/month for 24 months, then goes back down to $48 after the 24 months.
Our previous provider of 10 years! (Bell) couldn't even come close to this offer.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 AM

I know people say their coverage is supposed to be the same as Telus but for those of you who have koodo is the coverage decent out in the country? I have bell and am looking to change. Want to make sure I will still have service far away from main centres
Old 02-15-2018, 10:20 AM

We got koodo here a couple of years ago ,service isn't quite as good as tellus , but a lot cheaper, course I'm a little bit off the beatin track, where I live.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
We got koodo here a couple of years ago ,service isn't quite as good as tellus , but a lot cheaper, course I'm a little bit off the beatin track, where I live.
They use the exact same towers, so there is something else at play. As in, different phones get different reception. Some are better than others.

As well, reception is dependent on the the amount of cell users between you and the tower, so, today you could get 5 bars, but tomorrow if there's 300 cell users between you and the tower, you may get none.