Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 12:08 PM

Default Calling lake

Just got back from Calling lake. We fished yesterday for approx 6 hours caught 21 pike and 1 walley between 3 people. Fishing was really slow and it sounded like no one was doing too much better. Good luck
Old 06-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the update.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 PM

I wonder why it is so slow.. Maybe a little early still?
Old 06-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Same here. Went there on the weekend with very slow fishing. Only 1 walleye caught and it was oversize.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 PM

shoulda tried leaches i barely got any on minnows this weekend but they were all over big nasty leaches after this weekend ill never go walleye fishin without em
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Just out of curiousity....on what part where u fishing? Calling is funny sometimes....its they only Lake I know of where Walleye populations will sit suspended in 50 or so feet of water in the thermocline feeding on minnows and what not, and thats above mud flats and sandy bottoms with no structure...so no VW point! A buddy of mine pointed this out to me once, and so i took a look when the bite was off in the "Normal" walleye habitat, and sure enough East side of the Lake I was in 50-60' of water and was seeing lots of fish on the sonar at 25'. Dropped in a Minnow on a mooching style rig and let the drift take over. The 2 of us must of boated 20 or so fish in just over an hour. Kinda like the Wallies in there took a lesson from lakers. Any way if the same old Walleye tactics seem to fail or not produce. Head to the flats on the east, look for em on sonar, drop down and drift on! Never be scared to get out side the box when fishing. i have a friend who has almost 0 knowledge of fishing or fishing tactics and he comes up with some pretty stupid and crazy stuff......and sometimes it works. another example...a 6" rubber "Storm Pike" casting at Cardiff trout pond. I was lauging at him as this thing smacked the water and his ultra light trout rod was bent over reeling this bait in....but Mike will be Mike and I just let him do his thing. 4th cast and he nailed a good 3lb rainbow....ya just never know...
Old 06-07-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
i have a friend who has almost 0 knowledge of fishing or fishing tactics and he comes up with some pretty stupid and crazy stuff......and sometimes it works.
ive had this lesson smacked upside my head by my wife on more than one occasion....now i just shut up when she is digging in the tackle box
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM

I was there last weekend and it was DEAD
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 PM

I was not there on the opener, but often it is tough. I have had good luck on early season down deep off VW Point with a spinner rig and dew worms, very slow, as in drift in the wind slow. Leeches work great with a slow drift as well early on.

What IS FRUSTRATING is when the mayflies hatch by the millions. What fish you catch are literally barfing nymphs, and they are way off the bottom to boot.

Only solution is to fish early in the day before the hatch breaks out and kills their appetite.

Drewski