Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2013, 03:28 PM

Default Rock lake near Hinton

Anyone ever fish at Rock lake NW of Hinton? I am heading out that way to do some camping and canoeing in a couple of weeks. I see that it is a fairly deep lake and has both lake trout and pike in it. Any help with areas to try both from shore and in the canoe with techniques will be much appreciated. Also going to be spending some time on the Wild Hay river just east of Rock lake (about 20-30min). Planning on trying my luck with the trout on both the fly and spinner.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:57 PM

it sits in a valley and if the wind picks up watch out.

I have seen that lake go from glass smooth on a sunny day to waves I wouldn't brave in my 12 foot alum in about 10 minutes.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 PM

I went in there awhile back for may long. Beautiful lake with tons of scenery. The fishing was awesome small fish though. Caught almost all my fish on a #4 x-rap, dad was using flatfish and spoons with close to same results. Here's a couple teaser pics. Theres a nice weed bed around the point across the lake from the boat launch. You can see it in the first pic where the shoreline jutts out into the lake. Lots of pike around there. The lakers were everywhere.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 PM

thanks for the feedback thus far. Just talking with my buddy who is organizing this trip and it sounds like we might also be visiting Gregg lake which is in the area and just a little easier to get to. Any advice about what one can expect there?
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 PM

Pike in Gregg, some browns, lake whites and still a minor possibility of a walleye.