Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Rock Lake - Near Hinton!

I was thinking about going up to Rock Lake, Near Hinton with a buddy of mine August long weekend and try for lakers and pike, but just read on the website for the lake and campground that (as of June 27/23) the road to the campground is damaged. Anyone been to the lake lately?, and if the road is damaged would it be fixed by the time I want to go.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM

Was there Saturday and Sunday. The gravel road is in decent shape until you hit the provincial park. It's basically a rock pit when you get close to the campground but its definitely manageable. Just take it slow and you ll be fine. Enjoy
Old 07-10-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mranderson22 View Post
Was there Saturday and Sunday. The gravel road is in decent shape until you hit the provincial park. It's basically a rock pit when you get close to the campground but its definitely manageable. Just take it slow and you ll be fine. Enjoy
How was the fishing?, and what were you using? This will be my first time at this lake.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM

We only had about 4 hours on the water but we each landed a decent sized laker. They were pretty active on the surface, I could have brought in 4-5 but I couldn't set the hook on a couple and my line snapped on another. I was using a hopper on my fly rod and my buddy was using a small little spinner, both worked but I seemed to get more action. We trolled around the lake at a fairly slow speed but if I were to go back I'd troll until I found a few and then cast. If you have a fly rod that's what I would suggest going with. Good luck, its a beautiful place
Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Slow trolling a Small rainbow trout x-rap will keep you entertained on that lake. Fly fishing the inlet and outlet in early am and dusk is rewarding as well. Just be ready the pike patrol them around those same times.