Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 AM
Banned

Default Take Care of Those Cuts

I don't recall a thread on this so I figured that I'd post as a warning/reminder.

Cuts in the skinning shed are inevitable IMO, at least for me because I'm a clutz. I take them pretty serious because my knife and just about everything else in the shed aren't exactly sanitized. If I get a cut that bleeds I stop to treat it right away and any nicks that I don't notice but flare up the next day are taken care of.

A few days ago I nicked the knuckle of my thumb so I cleaned it up with hydrogen peroxide and carried on. The next day I took off the band-aide and there was a little bruising and swelling so I de-scabbed and cleaned it up a bit more. Yesterday I thought that it was improving so I just kept an eye on it and I figured that it was healing on its own because the redness/purple and swelling around the cut had gone down. This morning I woke up and I had a new red/purple spot the size of a pimple lower down towards my second knuckle on the left side. In the matter of a couple of hours it got larger and another small spot started to appear on the right side of my thumb. Needless to say I headed into the walk in clinic to get some antibiotics because I realized that something bad was going on there. By the time that I got to the clinic the red/purple spot that had appeared on the right of my thumb was about the size that you see in the picture and all of the way to the other side of my thumb.....it happened that fast!

I guess that the bottom line is that you might want to take even the smallest cut seriously.

Old 02-09-2018, 07:56 AM

I hope for you that the infection will stop ! I wish you a fast recovery...trappers need all their fingers !
Old 02-09-2018, 10:16 AM

Yikes! Thanks for the warning, HunterDave! Hope you heal up well and soon!
Old 02-09-2018, 01:52 PM

Lol the exact same thing happened to me except by the time I woke up until about 2 when I made it to the doctors you could see my veins in my arm where going reddish purple. And pretty painful. Luckily the pills worked fast and never ended up on iv antibiotics. Blood infections are no joke. Was also a small knick on my thumb and had gloves on but got water in them when I was washing yotes.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Not only in while skinning. Watch your wounds all the time. My friend was hiking the west coast trail this past summer and had a scratch on his leg. Turned out he picked up a flesh eating bacteria into the scratch while hiking on the trail. Within a few hours he was down. Luckily a boat picked him up and got him to a hospital. the doc said he would have has maybe another 12 hours if untreated. He was hospitalized for 2 months. Almost lost his leg. He now is 90% better.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-09-2018, 05:52 PM

I had something similar to that after fleshing a bear.
It went from a small bump to looking like your hand in about 8 hours.
I had to get some antibiotics to fight it.
I didn't see a cut but somehow it got in my hand.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:01 PM

WOW - Dave, glad you got in and got it looked at and hope you get well soon.

As a personal experience two weeks ago a friends dog scratched me on the lower lip with his paw. No idea what was on his paw but I got a lymph node infection. Time line --- soft swelling below the right ear in 24 hrs, 12 hrs later hard lump about 2 inches long by 1 inch wide going down my jaw line, another 12 hours right side of face fully swollen with hard lump expanded from back of neck across the front of my throat. Into Emerg and they said they most commonly see this from cat scratches. It has started to affect breathing and blood flow. I was on daily IV for a week and multiple horse pills daily for two weeks.

After all the stuff I have touched with wild game with nicks and cuts this happens. Lesson learned for me --- A person needs to be really aware of any change that occurs to the area around an exposure to an animal.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Banned

Last winter I managed to get about thirty coyotes , Then I fell sick , I stayed in bed ,and vomited and made a trail to the washroom big time . After seven days I went to see the Dr and he took one look at me and told the nurse to call an ambulance , I was headed to emergency . I was so sick I could barely walk ! I was diagnosed with Salmonella , and after a couple days finally came out of it . Alberta communicable disease called me and talked about an hour and decided I caught it from skinning coyotes . so yes wear gloves and WASH your hands !
Old 02-09-2018, 10:24 PM

Oh ya trapping ain't for the weak. I had a full blown case of the mites from reaching into muskrat houses in late winter I was crawling with them once I figgered it out. I've sliced myself right to the bone several times., literally stabbed myself using fillet in knife to do the leg cuts on coyotes several inches deep. Just about passed out. If it bleeds on its own let it bleed heavy I found. The stab wounds are the ones I always worried about. But so far so good. Blood infections are bad. If you have cancer cells that's when they attack.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:42 PM

A friend once told me that Detol disinfect did an excellent job of preventing infection after a fish hook puncture so I have used it successfully on various cuts & scrapes. Thinking it might be a worthwhile treatment option if used promptly. Anyone else ever use it?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:36 PM
Banned

I use hydrogen peroxide because it’s a multi purpose item in the shed. Online resources recommend not using it because it’s too strong and it kills healthy cells along with the bacteria and causes more time to heal. My thinking is to err on too strong rather than too weak......I want that bacteria dead. If I have to wear a bandaid for three days instead of two, I’m okay with that. I’m only referring to minor cuts and I’ll leave it to the professionals for anything needing stitches.

Thinking back it was my own fault. Pouring a little hydrogen peroxide on the cut and putting on a bandaid was way to casual. Lesson learned.

You know what they say, a smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other people’s mistakes. Hopefully people learn from my mistake.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 PM

It's always good to draw around the edge of an infection with a pen.
This was done a few times to me by a doctor and by myself. Reason being you can track it easily and get help before it gets out of hand.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-10-2018, 12:34 AM
Banned

Believe me, I had no problem tracking the infection from that little cut on my knuckle.

That bruising on the lower part of my thumb happened in literally a couple hours.......that fast!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I use hydrogen peroxide because it’s a multi purpose item in the shed. Online resources recommend not using it because it’s too strong and it kills healthy cells along with the bacteria and causes more time to heal. My thinking is to err on too strong rather than too weak......I want that bacteria dead. If I have to wear a bandaid for three days instead of two, I’m okay with that. I’m only referring to minor cuts and I’ll leave it to the professionals for anything needing stitches.

Thinking back it was my own fault. Pouring a little hydrogen peroxide on the cut and putting on a bandaid was way to casual. Lesson learned.

You know what they say, a smart man learns from his mistakes but a wise man learns from other people’s mistakes. Hopefully people learn from my mistake.
I know a guy that has worked in medical aid and training for quite a few years. He's not allowed to instruct people to use hydrogen peroxide, but you get the picture that he likes it because it works.

I had cat scratches and all kinds of possible infections that didn't happen, I believe due to hydrogen peroxide. It was just what was used when I was younger.

Take care of that Dave. Frequent bandage changes, and don't let it stay wet.

Gotta look out for our Daves around here.

These are the Daves I know, I know
These are the Daves I know.
These are the Daves I know, I know
These are the Daves I know.

David Hoffner, he works in my dad's store
He's worked here for 12 years, he'll probably work here four more.

Refrain

Dave Gord, I've known him since I was six
In grade eight he broke his leg, so we got drunk and sick.

Refrain

Some of them are Davids...
"But most of us are Daves"
They all have their own hands
But they come from different moms.

Refrain

Dave Jadisky, man this cat can swing
He weighs almost 50 pounds and he delivers my paper on time.

Refrain

Dave Capisano, I hardly know him...
*Pause*

Refrain

Daves: "We are the Daves he knows he knows,
We are the Daves he knows.
We are the Daves he knows he knows,
We are the Daves he knows.
Some of us are Davids, but most of us are Daves.
We all have our own hands but we come from different moms. "

These are the Daves I know I know
"We are the Daves he knows he knows"
These are the...
"DAVES!"

^^^^ Sorry, just had a little flashback to the peroxide years...

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-10-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Cuts

I use beta dine 10 percent solution on all cuts.
You order it over the counter at any pharmacy. Usually takes a few days to get it.
It is cheap and it works great.