Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 03:32 PM

Default I need a better truck

We have a very nice 4 door eco boost Ford truck but when it is hooked to our small trailer the fuel consumption doubles.

What I need is a 4 door 4x4 truck for us and the dogs, that will pull a trailer from here to Idaho and back. I'll probably buy it at Michener's (auction)

It will only get short trips when it is here in Alberta, me and the dogs to go for walks and the mail.

I don't think I want a Dodge, and I'm not rich.

What advice do you have?
Old 02-14-2018, 03:35 PM

http://salvagesalvageonline.com

Just another option for auction. These guys deal with all the insurance company's recovered vehicles. I've heard there's some really good deals but chances are there's gonna be some elbow grease required.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM

Get a v8. Ecoboost is nothing but a marketing numbers game. They tell you the great fuel economy when the turbos are not running but lacking engine power. Then they tell you the Great horsepower when the turbos are flowing but they dont tell you the massive fuel consumption of the turbos. V8 is more balanced in my opinion, cheaper engine, less gimmicks, more durable.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:49 PM

Have a extended cab ( almost /kinda 4 doors )Sierra 5.3 litre , 2011 with 116,000 km , barely driven last 2 years. Bunch of things. Should be fine for a small trailer. Haul my 24' with it and yeah fuel goes up ..... but ya

It be fine for what you want and your dogs ...... I got 3 kids a naggy wife and a dog , so too small. She's yours for 17500 but keeping the tool boxes , unless you want for additional $

This truck goes to 4 cylinders when not speeding ......so really good on gas.

Last edited by wolf308; 02-14-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Get a v8. Ecoboost is nothing but a marketing numbers game. They tell you the great fuel economy when the turbos are not running but lacking engine power. Then they tell you the Great horsepower when the turbos are flowing but they dont tell you the massive fuel consumption of the turbos. V8 is more balanced in my opinion, cheaper engine, less gimmicks, more durable.
The sad truth,,
My biggest mistake in life, a new 2014 f150 4x4 crew cab echoboost the worst gas sucking pig POS I have owned in my 40 years of owning vehicles ,

I pitty anyone when reality kicks in and they figure out how bad they been screwed by Ford

My Condolences
Old 02-14-2018, 04:06 PM

I have had a ton of trucks for work, and yes the ecco boost has been the worst of them all.
Chevrolet 3/4ton with a 6L gas was a close second for sure. Lasted and had little ever go wrong, but boy it sucked the fuel.
Ford 1ton dually with the 6.2 gas got the worst fuel mileage by a long shot.
I drive a new dodge dually now, and it averages better millage than my last ford eccoboost. I think that is really good considering that I am driving a truck that weighs twice as much and I can tow 25000LBS with it.

Had a chev 3/4ton 2008 duramax and it was great as well, little wrong ever with it, and got great millage.
Father in law has a dodge half ton with the ecco diesel, and that thing is amazing, but comes at a cost with the price of buying it. Also you don't want to try and tow heavy loads with it.
I think If I were to buy a smaller truck right now I would get a ecco diesel, or if I was a ford guy I would get a 1/2ton with the 5liter.
That is if I was buying new.
Used market, i would look for a chev with a 4.8? or 5.3L
Both work good with a smaller trailer, tested motors and tested trucks, that you can get at a good used price.
I would not get a dodge with a hemi, pepi motor but they burn threw the fuel.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
The sad truth,,
My biggest mistake in life, a new 2014 f150 4x4 crew cab echoboost the worst gas sucking pig POS I have owned in my 40 years of owning vehicles ,

I pitty anyone when reality kicks in and they figure out how bad they been screwed by Ford

My Condolences
I am on my second ecoboost F150 and I would buy a third. I find it comparable on gas than the rest when towing or not towing but the power is far better than other gas engines. This idea has been debated to death, so we don't need to do it again.
To the OP, your gas mileage is going up when towing no matter what you pull the trailer with. And Idaho isn't that far. I am not sure you would come out ahead by buying another.
Anyway, that isn't what you asked. I don't have an idea for you other than driving the one you have. Have fun.
kidd
Old 02-14-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
The sad truth,,

My Condolences
And what do u drive now...
Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Wait for the new PowerStroke for the F-150
Old 02-14-2018, 06:25 PM

I would suggest an older 4 door dodge 3/4 ton with a 5.9 cummins but you stated dodge is out. Second choice would be a older chevy 3/4 ton with the duramax, something around 2004 plus. The last thing would be an older ford diesel as the odds of getting a bad one would be much greater than Dodge or General Motors.
I would also think the odds of getting a good Auction vehicle would be much better at Ritchie Bros. rather than Mitchener. You can check histories of equipment at R Bros much easier with the help of there sales staff. Find a company turning over a half dozen and you can be pretty sure there not just purging a truck with chronic problems.
They do sell "inoperable" vehicles in the RB auctions and almost all of the diesels are fords.....
Old 02-14-2018, 06:36 PM

If you can't or won't go diesel just get a 2500 GMC/Chevy 4x4 with a 6L.
Simple trucks that work.
Just remember,.....someone will have a horror story about whatever you buy.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rembo View Post
Simple trucks that work.
Great reliable truck!

But from what I understand his issue is with gas consumption and the 6.0L chev/gmc are not easy on gas at all. Depending on his trailer size he could be into the single digits for mpg. Had one and bullet proof but couldn’t pass a gas station with a 32’ trailer...was getting around 300km to a tank pulling.

The OP has to go to a diesel if he want decent mileage pulling, just won’t happen with a gas engine.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Great reliable truck!

But from what I understand his issue is with gas consumption and the 6.0L chev/gmc are not easy on gas at all. Depending on his trailer size he could be into the single digits for mpg. Had one and bullet proof but couldn’t pass a gas station with a 32’ trailer...was getting around 300km to a tank pulling.

The OP has to go to a diesel if he want decent mileage pulling, just won’t happen with a gas engine.
You simply can't have it all.

3/4 or 1 ton diesel is best bet. But since price is a factor (both cost to purchase and maintenance) - it's probably out.

Next best as stated is a chev/gm 2500 or 3500 with 6.0 litre. Bulletproof, but as mentioned, terrible mileage.

Which brings us back to halftons - which he already has and doesn't like - we need more information.

Simply put - if you're towing you're going to get terrible mileage.

Instead of going under on your current truck, keep it and put the lost savings towards fuel.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:09 PM

F 350
Old 02-14-2018, 07:15 PM

If you are going to buy at M Auction then wait for the industrial not the auto. The auto has reserve by dealers even on 10 yr old trucks. The industrial is always no reserve. A lot of the small dealers will buy trucks at the industrial only to clean em up and relist with a reserve at the auto auction.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

Chevrolet 2500hd 6.0
Old 02-14-2018, 07:29 PM

How many times do i drive to Idaho and back? your not buying new. U know what u have now, may cost u more in the end then dealing with a few trips of extra gas money. Just a thought. Diesel is meant for towing and great mileage but cost of servicing or repairs let alone $per liter doesn’t make sense for how much use it will get. If your happy with it in all other aspects drive it till it drops.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM

Default Forb burtal

Quote:
The sad truth,,

My Condolences
I hear you on this one. I had a 2014 eco boost lease for 2 years and got rid of it. The sleazy sales men at tower dodge wouldn’t get me a deal so I was forced to go to a 2016 at ford and I regret it. I got the v8 5 L and t was the exact same file economy as the eco boost. so I learned first had that it was a marketing ploy. Their aluminum body was another ploy that cost me an extra 10 grand in a market down turn. Oh yeah ... that really boils my blood. Selling less trucks so raise the price to keep the same profit. Bastards. Anyhow. I am going to sell this junker and never go back to ford. Sales in the car and truck industry are so greasy and brutal.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
You simply can't have it all.

3/4 or 1 ton diesel is best bet. But since price is a factor (both cost to purchase and maintenance) - it's probably out.

Next best as stated is a chev/gm 2500 or 3500 with 6.0 litre. Bulletproof, but as mentioned, terrible mileage.

Which brings us back to halftons - which he already has and doesn't like - we need more information.

Simply put - if you're towing you're going to get terrible mileage.

Instead of going under on your current truck, keep it and put the lost savings towards fuel.
I agree. If your current truck works for pulling your trailer I’d continue using it. Lots of people trade vehicles for better gas mileage and don’t realize that the cheapest vehicle on fuel was the one that they currently owned. Fuel is cheaper than bigger payments.

If you need a 3/4 ton I also vote for a Chev/gmc with the 6.0 gas
Old 02-14-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The sad truth,,

My Condolences
My 2013 Ecoboost has been great. Average 11.0 L/100 km. Driving 115km/hr. Pull 3000 lb flat deck with quads, etc (15.0L/100km). Simple to park, good on fuel, plenty power, comfortable, feels like home.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Simple trucks that work.
Agree. The 6.0L decent motor, pull good load.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:12 PM

Love my Ecoboost so far...far better on fuel than any other truck I’ve owned. The 10speed transmission is really nice.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:53 PM

The newer 6.0l chevy motors have come a long way from the older ones. I've had mine down to 15 l/100km.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM

Smile Thanks guys

Always lots of experience here. I have had a Dodge Diesel and got a smoking deal, it was a stick shift which both my wf and I could drive and it was great, the rub was as Pixel said the repair costs, even just parts was shocking.

I do hate the reserve bid system, just curbing in my opinion.

Keeping what I have is looking better all the time but it doesn't have much power. It is a v 6 and I didn't expect much.

I have a 3/4 ton Ford but it is basically a 2 door and the dogs have chewed it up pretty bad, it would tow the trailer I'm sure.

The trip will be in the summer and there are lots of gas stations in the US and gas is pretty cheap compared to here, so maybe keeping what I've got is not a bad solution.

I appreciate the help.

I could get rid of the trailer and put the WF in a tent!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:07 PM

I have had lots of Diesels, I currently have 2012 6.7 and a 2003 7.3 Superdutys. The newer (12 and up) 6.7 is absolutely amazing, 420 hp 800+ ft/lbs. I have never heard of a more bulletproof motor. You can get great deals down south too. My fuel economy is amazing, crewcab SRW I average 10.3 empty.
Don't buy a 6.0 or 6.4.
I have done NOTHING to my 6.7, its been perfect.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-14-2018, 09:14 PM

Default K2500 hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Chevrolet 2500hd 6.0
This
Old 02-14-2018, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Simple trucks that work.
X2. My 2009 GM 2500HD 6L gas has 310,000 on her now. With slip tank and tools gets 15.5L/100km if I drive nice, 17 L/100km any day. Good ole manual 4x4 shifter in the floor how I like it. Was talking to a neighbour who says his 3 Duramax diesels average $20,000 per year in service, so I figured that would cover alot of gas cost, especially if the client pays it anyway.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:29 PM

Need more info...

You say that the fuel consumption doubles when it is hooked to your small trailer; but what is the fuel consumption normally? If it is 7l/100km and it doubles to 14l/100km when pulling a trailer, I say "what's the problem?" Now if it is 15l/100km without a trailer and 30l/100km with a trailer, then you have a problem. I feel your pain, but it's a truck... pulling a trailer.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:45 PM

FWIW, I have had a 2011 5.7 Hemi Ram Crew Sport for about 5yrs now. Can get 11L/100km highway. Absolute pig in town, average around 26L/100km in town. 36-40L/100km pulling my 7000+lb 27' travel trailer. It has always been that way, nothing changed. I think something is wrong with it, I don't think it should be that high. But no engine codes, no mechanic has found anything either.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
We have a very nice 4 door eco boost Ford truck but when it is hooked to our small trailer the fuel consumption doubles.

What I need is a 4 door 4x4 truck for us and the dogs, that will pull a trailer from here to Idaho and back. I'll probably buy it at Michener's (auction)

It will only get short trips when it is here in Alberta, me and the dogs to go for walks and the mail.

I don't think I want a Dodge, and I'm not rich.

What advice do you have?
Need a bit more information.

How often do you drive to Idaho?

How large is a "small'trailer length and weight wise? I have a 20' Rpod that I consider small, my girlfriends family has an older SCAMP that makes my small trailer look like a 40' 5th wheel.

Whats your average speed while driving? You are driving a decent distance through mountains and towing so if your keeping it steady at the limit or 10-15 over your going to get significant different mileage. If I tow my trailer 5-10 mph under the old 70 mph speed limit on the Interstate I noticed a decent change in mileage and didn't notice that much delay in getting to my destination.

Is your current truck paid for? As already mentioned, the truck you have will always be cheaper than dumping 60K on a new vehicle.(rare exception if you got a lemon)

Not a Dodge guy by any means but their Eco diesels are getting amazing mileage and I imagine the new Ford Powerstroke and next years Duramax in the half tons will be similar.