Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2012, 09:47 PM

Default Bow River Nymphing with Straight Mono/Fluoro

Can anyone share their success or comment on nymphing with straight mono and/or fluoro directly from the fly line? I've heard the comment that a tapered leader in the heavy top end can drag and resist the nymphing flies from getting to the bottom. If using straight line directly from fly line, is it much harder to turnover the cast?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM

My limited experience with this is that proper casting is tricky but lobbing the nymph back upstream (using current to load the rod) is fine. It's also way cheaper.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 PM

You could just use about 3ft of 20lb mono off the flyline and then add on whatever you like below that. Should help turn it over.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:17 PM

Take 5-6' 15lb maxima ultragreen to a swivel (any size you want), then run 3-4 feet of whatever 8lb fluoro tippet/line you want. Its not so much tapered, and gets the job done. Pretty easy to build too.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfighter View Post
Can anyone share their success or comment on nymphing with straight mono and/or fluoro directly from the fly line? I've heard the comment that a tapered leader in the heavy top end can drag and resist the nymphing flies from getting to the bottom. If using straight line directly from fly line, is it much harder to turnover the cast?
I would stick with the tapered leader, IMO they turn over much better. Use a bit of weight, longer leader or weighted nymphs if you don't think your nymphs are getting down.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 PM

i break my taper leader off about half way up and use regular line instead of tippet, i almost always outfish everyone that goes with me on the bow, have always fished this way and always catch fish, i use a 6 lb triline, i tryed 4lbs but it stretches to much after a fish and needs replacing, 6 lb works awesome.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat111 View Post
i break my taper leader off about half way up and use regular line instead of tippet, i almost always outfish everyone that goes with me on the bow, have always fished this way and always catch fish, i use a 6 lb triline, i tryed 4lbs but it stretches to much after a fish and needs replacing, 6 lb works awesome.
For nymphing I use the same kind of setup. Tapered leader that I cut off about at about the 6lb diameter which is on my tapered about 2/3 of the way down then use a swivel there. Tie on 6lb test and you can them do your nymph rig. Swivel acts as a bit of weight and cuts tangles.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-24-2012, 08:19 AM

Learniong how to properly mend my line was something that really helped me ensure my nymphs were on the bottom of the Bow. How's your mending technique Bullfighter?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Quote:
for nymphing i use the same kind of setup. Tapered leader that i cut off about at about the 6lb diameter which is on my tapered about 2/3 of the way down then use a swivel there. Tie on 6lb test and you can them do your nymph rig. Swivel acts as a bit of weight and cuts tangles
X2
Old 11-01-2012, 07:20 PM
Banned

I use the same system in lakes out of a pontoon boat

A super fast sinker is at the begining of the system to adjust to variable depth.

Your fingers will do the walking.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Take 5-6' 15lb maxima ultragreen to a swivel (any size you want), then run 3-4 feet of whatever 8lb fluoro tippet/line you want. Its not so much tapered, and gets the job done. Pretty easy to build too.
I run something similar. 12lb floro to my swivel and 8lb below to my largest bug and between my next two flys. don't be afraid to run heavier line and lots of weight on the bow. get down where the big fish lay and keep them buttoned once you've hooked em. i have posted this link before and would consider it to be helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cyGWL...53DcyGWLjBNr_c

Dace
Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
I run something similar. 12lb floro to my swivel and 8lb below to my largest bug and between my next two flys. don't be afraid to run heavier line and lots of weight on the bow. get down where the big fish lay and keep them buttoned once you've hooked em. i have posted this link before and would consider it to be helpful.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=cyGWL...53DcyGWLjBNr_c

Dace
I agree, great set up. One small difference that will pay out for seasons is if you have a factory loop on your fly line, use either a tapered leader or heavy (25+lb) mono/floro to your swivle, smaller diameter lines will cut your loop sooner making the tip of your fly line sink when it gets water logged.