Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 PM

Default New jigging rod - Fenwick vs St.croix

Had the opportunity to use a 6’6” St.croix Avid series rod this past summer while jigging walleye in 24 FOW. It had a 20 series shimano reel spooled with 8# fluorocarbon tied directly to the 1/4oz jig, I was very impressed with this set up. I’m looking to replace my recently broken rapala walleye tourney series rod with a good jigging rod. I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to a Fenwick Elite Tech or the St.croix Avid/Eyecon in 6’6” med fast spinning. I’d appreciate any input as far as quality, sensitivity, warranty, etc that you guys could offer. I’m open to different brands as well. Would like to support local as possible but I’m not sure who would carry the higher end rods besides the big box stores. I’ll also be in the market for a good bottom bouncing rod but one thing at a time eh! Thanks in advance guys now let’s here some experience based opinions.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:51 PM

The Fishin' Hole is best local option and carries a decent variety of rods.

I would go with Avid over Elite Tech but you aren't really talking the same class of rod(avid is more expensive, Premier is closer to Elite Tech).

As for other options the more you spend the better rod you get. My favourite are G. Loomis (IMX, GLX etc, not a huge fan of e6x but is still good). With St. Croix you have legend tournament which is a decent step up from Avid.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:01 PM

I have the elite tech walleye 6’6 ML, absolutely love it.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:47 AM

I also have the 6’6 ML fenwick spooled with 6lb fireline and I love the damn thing for walleye jigging it’s amazing how sensitive it is.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:30 AM

Have both. The st croix is better. In the same price range is the bass pro carbonlite (maybe even cheaper) which is now my favourite jigging and glide bait rod. 6'9" medium light fast action

Would recommend a longer rod if you can get one

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Have older Fenwick Walleye Class, HMX spin and bait casters as well as a HMX fly rod. Have served me quite well over the years. Great rods at the price point.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Do you have an upper limit on what you can spend?
Old 11-07-2018, 07:29 PM

I didn’t want to spend more than $200. Thought I could get a fairly descent rod within that budget. I’m more concerned with warranty in the event the rod breaks I’m still leaning towards the St croix Avid but the elite tech seems to be the best bang for buck. The trouble I’m having is that both manufacturers seem to be hit and miss with “bad batches”. I guess it always a roll of the dice
Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaneeranger View Post
I didn’t want to spend more than $200. Thought I could get a fairly descent rod within that budget. I’m more concerned with warranty in the event the rod breaks I’m still leaning towards the St croix Avid but the elite tech seems to be the best bang for buck. The trouble I’m having is that both manufacturers seem to be hit and miss with “bad batches”. I guess it always a roll of the dice
The way I view most rods now is anything under $50 is usually junk. $50-100 can get you some ok rods but will lack sensitivity(Ugly Stik) or quality(Fenwick HMX). $100-200 gets you into some decent rods(such as Elite Tech) that are good for what most people. $200-300 gets you an entry level high end rod(like St. Croix Avid, G.Loomis E6X) which use superior quality guides, reel seats, cork etc but on more basic blanks. Then $300+ gets you an actual high end rod, the more you spend the higher quality blank you get in most cases, sometimes fancier handles, guides etc.

The thing to know about warranty is you usually have to pay to send rod in and this will be around $30+. Some companies like St. Croix also charge shipping and handling fee($30 USD with St. Croix) and then looking more like $70+. The more expensive the rod, the more worthwhile warranty is. Cost of warranty is only part of the picture though, chances of needing warranty with an Elite Tech is significantly higher then with an Avid. In short Fenwick is like the Walmart version of St.Croix and the Elite Tech performance may be on par with an Avid but quality of materials and workmanship is not.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 PM

Thanks Rav, you should right reviews for a living lol! Gonna wait and see what deals if any Black Friday will bring, I’ve got a little time to ponder and compare.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:52 PM

Pulled the pin on a St.Croix Legend Tournament Walleye spinning rod, 6'6", ML, fast and 2 St.Croix Eyecons, 6'6", ML, fast

So much for my budget lol

Thought I'd get everyone thinking about some open water, with this weather we may all be out soon enough.

Thanks for all the comments and opinions guys, much appreciated. Very tough decision for an indecisive angler - took me all winter to figure it out haha.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:09 PM

DAMN!! I was really eyeing down that legend tournement walleye rod!

very nice rod forsure and good choice

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Get the Shimano Expride. Little pricey but the best jigging rod i've ever used. you can feel a fish fart 3 feet from your hook lol. But in all seriousness its a killer rod with amazing responsiveness and if you get the extra-fast action model, hook sets are a dream. Amazing quality rod.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:27 PM

I have this same one, just awesome

St.Croix Legend Tournament Walleye spinning rod, 6'6", ML, fast

May long yet??