Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 07:53 PM

Default Battle Lake Suprise

I fished Battle today for the first time in the winter and I was blown away when i lowered the camera and saw the bottom completely covered in clamshells.So i drilled more holes in the area to find the exact same thing.Not sure what eats em but they would be full.Now if only the fish were as plentiful as the clams.For the first time this year I got skunked!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM

every now and again,we get a open fall,meaning no snow.Battle lake freezes over and sometimes the ice is safe enough to skate on.The gin clear water makes viewing similar to viewing a aquarium.Fish,muskrats and every where you look,clams!!It used to be a lot of fun,finding a "clam trail" in the sand and following until you came along to the said clam.I can remember as a youngster,skating on the east end for hours at a time.Looking back,it probably was one of the best times of my life.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
every now and again,we get a open fall,meaning no snow.Battle lake freezes over and sometimes the ice is safe enough to skate on.The gin clear water makes viewing similar to viewing a aquarium.Fish,muskrats and every where you look,clams!!It used to be a lot of fun,finding a "clam trail" in the sand and following until you came along to the said clam.I can remember as a youngster,skating on the east end for hours at a time.Looking back,it probably was one of the best times of my life.
As kid growing up in Cold Lake one year the lake froze over without snow. A bunch of us were out playing hockey. One kid got a break away and we never so him for the rest of the weekend!

Sorry for the derailment

BW
Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
Well I’m glad I posted this now! Sounds like you really enjoyed your time out there. I wish the younger could enjoy the simple things like that. If they do I’m happy for them.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 AM

What is the access like at the boat launch? Are you still able to drive on?
Old 03-24-2019, 06:00 AM

I was at battle 3 weeks ago. Fished about half a mile to the right after hitting the lake from the campground. Near side. Had camera but didn’t see clan shells. Sand bottom in 15 fow. I may have been too deep or maybe just area specific... 2 small pike caught. Nothing else seen on camera.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey929 View Post
What is the access like at the boat launch? Are you still able to drive on?
I parked on the ice right at the launch and took the quad from there.Two diesels drove out to the far west side.There is a stream that flows in right at the launch and the ice is a little sketchy in that area.North side had more ice than the south and there alot of areas where a crust is formed and 4 in of water underneath-makes walking a pain.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:41 PM

Otters perhaps?

We seem to have more and more Otters in Alberta. They like to take over Beaver houses and will set up in the winter in the push up.

Then they go foraging. Would not surprise me if the Otters found the clams and figured out how to open them.

They are amazingly clever animals.

Drewski