Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2018, 09:55 PM

Default All terrain tires, what's good?

Hey guys
Wondering what you all run for all terrain and what you prefer and what you don't.

I'm currently running Goodyear duratracs and so far been good but the tread is getting worn and time for a new set

I like the duratracs but now that tread is low winter performance is not good.

Anybody prefer anything over the duratracs? I go out hunting so light offroad and a little mud i come across also something that's good for snow and ice.

So my my options are
Goodyear duratracs
General tire grabber at2 and atx
Falken will speak at3
Cooper discoverer at3 xlt

Any input appreciated
Thanks
Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 PM

Default All terrain tires, what's good?

I’m partial to BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2’s. Nothing wrong with Duratrac’’s either. The KO2’s are also “all weather” rated. Not sure if the Duratrac’’s are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 PM

The Nitto EXO grapplers have treated me real well.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:15 PM

Just threw on Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx tires.

They're an E rated tire. 255/80/17 on dodge dually 4x4 - which is larger than the stock 235/80/17's. They barely fit without rubbing (rear tires I mean, theres about a 1/4" gap under load between the duals). But if any dually guys want to go bigger without running spacers and lifts and all that crap, this is a way to do it. It does fit. Fills the wheel wells out nicely - even with airbags.

Annnnnyways... I'm coming from duratracs as well (which served me well, had over 100k on this last set - same dodge dually 4x4).

Will see how the Cooper's hold up. They are also a M/S rated tire - where the duratrac is not. I know the BFGoodrich ko2 tire has a M/S rating as well. So if you're traveling into BC from Oct to April and you don't want to carry tire chains, it may be something to consider.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:08 AM

im running Toyo Open Country AT2 Xtremes

They do pretty good in the mud. Snow is pretty good too but ice is pretty slick. need 4x4 in the winter.

i have 90,000km on them and they are just above half.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:52 AM

BF Ats are not meant for 3/4 ton +trucks, good on 1/4 tons. Ive been running Coopers ST-C/STmax for the last 15 years on all my 1 tons, and 1/4 tons, they work great. 80-100k on 1 ton, 100-150 on Tacoma's. Summer, winter whatever.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:43 AM

Grabber at 2,s.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 AM

Default Duratracs

I’ve done this dance a couple times now, and nothing touches Duratracs. For all the categories AT’s are measured, they win. CTire puts them on sale every other week for 25% off, you can’t beat it.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwee6 View Post
I’ve done this dance a couple times now, and nothing touches Duratracs. For all the categories AT’s are measured, they win. CTire puts them on sale every other week for 25% off, you can’t beat it.
Spot on. There are others that work but for all round the Duratracks are the champ.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:05 AM

Awesome thanks for the input

I see canadian tire has that sale on now.
Is there much of a difference between the 6 ply and the 10 ply regarding winter?
I know it'll be a stiffer tire but I hear these tires rock in the winter just don't know if people are referring to the 6 ply
Old 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikwhiskey View Post
BF Ats are not meant for 3/4 ton +trucks, good on 1/4 tons. Ive been running Coopers ST-C/STmax for the last 15 years on all my 1 tons, and 1/4 tons, they work great. 80-100k on 1 ton, 100-150 on Tacoma's. Summer, winter whatever.
I've run the Ten ply BF A/Ts on my last four one tons. Probably run about 30% on gravel. I've been getting about 80k on them. I'm happy with them.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:25 AM

Default Duratracs

If you drive on lots of gravel/rough roads stick with the 10ply, they are designed for rough duty. The oil companies are using a lot of 2-3 inch rock crush these days on their roads and sure raises heck with softer tires.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:57 AM
AO Sponsor

Just to give you a bit of evaluation, what is good for one is not always the best for another. Really though, all of the tires you have asked about are good tires, but they all have aspects that might make one more appealing than another depending on what your personal preferences of ability, feel, looks etc are.

First, the Duratrac is always a leader when it comes to people who run the tire years round and are looking for a balance of on road and offroad. The BFG KO2 as well. Both of them do this very well. If I was going to give them a bit of a comparison to each other, I would say most clients report that the BFG is a bit smoother highway use and the Duratrac has an edge offroad and in winter, but really they are quite close to each other in terms of quality, ability and mileage.

The General Grabber ATII was always a decent option that is a bit of a cost saving versus the first two, but the model is now discontinued and has been replaced with the AT/X. It is a bit early to give you any honest feedback on the tire as it was just introduced this season, but that said I cannot imagine it is a downgrade from its predecessor. On road and offroad it will be similar to the BFG as the tread patterns and siping structure are really quite similar, but the compounding is not as complex and the winter traction when it gets cold will not be quite as good compared to the Duratrac or KO2.

The Cooper and the Falken are also decent mid tier tires and would be relatively close to the General except I would give the nod to the General offroad and in winter conditions, but not by much.

In the end, you need to pick based on what is most important to you. No tire is better in every regard and there are always some tradeoffs that come with specific characteristics.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 AM

I switched from BFG A/Ts to General Grabber AT2s a few years ago on my 3/4 ton and have never looked back.

They are cheaper, have a good warranty, studdable (never tried this), and awesome in the snow.

I run 10-ply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 10:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Just to give you a bit of evaluation, what is good for one is not always the best for another. Really though, all of the tires you have asked about are good tires, but they all have aspects that might make one more appealing than another depending on what your personal preferences of ability, feel, looks etc are.

First, the Duratrac is always a leader when it comes to people who run the tire years round and are looking for a balance of on road and offroad. The BFG KO2 as well. Both of them do this very well. If I was going to give them a bit of a comparison to each other, I would say most clients report that the BFG is a bit smoother highway use and the Duratrac has an edge offroad and in winter, but really they are quite close to each other in terms of quality, ability and mileage.

The General Grabber ATII was always a decent option that is a bit of a cost saving versus the first two, but the model is now discontinued and has been replaced with the AT/X. It is a bit early to give you any honest feedback on the tire as it was just introduced this season, but that said I cannot imagine it is a downgrade from its predecessor. On road and offroad it will be similar to the BFG as the tread patterns and siping structure are really quite similar, but the compounding is not as complex and the winter traction when it gets cold will not be quite as good compared to the Duratrac or KO2.

The Cooper and the Falken are also decent mid tier tires and would be relatively close to the General except I would give the nod to the General offroad and in winter conditions, but not by much.

In the end, you need to pick based on what is most important to you. No tire is better in every regard and there are always some tradeoffs that come with specific characteristics.
What's your take on the Antera deep diggers?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:59 AM

I have ran most the major brands of AT tires over the last 6 years. BFG K02, Duratracs, Toyo AT2, cooper at3 xlt

I will never run the BFG or the TOYO AT2s again. Duratracs performed best in offroad conditions. Iv only had the coopers on for 5000KM and havnt had a chance to test them in snow/ice yet. I quit buying the wide 35 inch tires and went back to a 275. I find I get much better winter traction with a narrow tire.

My over all advice. Put an AT tire on when the snow flys. They perform best in the winter when new. I find after the treads where down to 60% or so they are garbage. Im on a lot of a gravel though and it eats tires. I will be putting a dedicated winter tire on this winter and run my AT is the spring, summer and fall. There is no AT tire that is good in the snow/ice.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-radshaw View Post
I have ran most the major brands of AT tires over the last 6 years. BFG K02, Duratracs, Toyo AT2, cooper at3 xlt

I will never run the BFG or the TOYO AT2s again. Duratracs performed best in offroad conditions. Iv only had the coopers on for 5000KM and havnt had a chance to test them in snow/ice yet. I quit buying the wide 35 inch tires and went back to a 275. I find I get much better winter traction with a narrow tire.

My over all advice. Put an AT tire on when the snow flys. They perform best in the winter when new. I find after the treads where down to 60% or so they are garbage. Im on a lot of a gravel though and it eats tires. I will be putting a dedicated winter tire on this winter and run my AT is the spring, summer and fall. There is no AT tire that is good in the snow/ice.
I pretty much agree....
Tho I liked the KO2s,they performed very well new in winter but gravel chewed them up fast.
Duratracs are very good,last longer than the KO2s in my use....tho they too suffer the next winter when they wear down.
Duratracs will be going on again...
Old 08-13-2018, 05:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
What's your take on the Antera deep diggers?
Cheap and cheerful. They do okay for the cheaper stuff but they are not as good as the good stuff. If you run them through the winter they will turn into hockey pucks real fast when it gets cold. They will dig in the mud and offroad for sure. Ride quality is not the best but that may not be a priority for you.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-13-2018, 06:00 PM

Thanks again. I'm thinking just to stick with the duratracs. They just fit my needs and I don't want to get a new tire and not like it
Old 08-13-2018, 06:17 PM

Cooper AT3 have been awesome. No complaints on grip with snow and ice. Ive never had winter tires though, so not sure how much grip a real winter tires would give. Great mileage and quiet drive in the summer. Approaching 100k on my f150 and still have tread. I may try Cooper XT4 next as those are supposedly even better on snow and ice.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:19 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyRendy View Post
Thanks again. I'm thinking just to stick with the duratracs. They just fit my needs and I don't want to get a new tire and not like it
Yeah I have the Duratacs myself. It is funny because I was always a bit on the fence with them but Goodyear kept pushing me to try a set on my own truck and finally gave me a stupid deal to try a set and I have to say I am a total convert now! I am really quite pleased with them. That said, like any tire, there is a time and place for all of them and I do not believe one tire is better than then all across the board. If you are interested, PM me and I will give you a quote. AO members get a discount for sure!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 08-13-2018, 07:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Cheap and cheerful. They do okay for the cheaper stuff but they are not as good as the good stuff. If you run them through the winter they will turn into hockey pucks real fast when it gets cold. They will dig in the mud and offroad for sure. Ride quality is not the best but that may not be a priority for you.
I've been through a pile of different tires on my trucks, Goodyear wrangler, firestone destination m/t, Yokohama Geolander m/t, BF Goodrich ko2, Goodyear wrangler durotracs, but so far the best all round tire I've owned are the Hankook atm. I don't do a lot of mudding but I do quite a bit of snow while going to the cabin or ice fishing, and living in Edmonton I see my fair share of ice. The Hankooks by far out perform all the other tires ive mentioned on ice and maybe even snow. A friend of mine offered me a set of the Anteras for $800 installed but for the price I had my suspicions. 305 55 r20's for $800, considering my Durotracs were nearly $2400, I didn't have much faith in the Anteras. He did say he could stud them for another $100 though.

I think it's between the hankooks and the toyo's but I've owned 3 sets of the hankook's so far and haven't been disappointed.