Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Plannin trip to Lake Athabasca

Hey guys, I am planning a trip to lake athabasca for late june. I am gonna load up my river boat with the outfitters tent and campin gear and head up from shell landing north of Fort Mac.

Does anyone know of any hotspots on the south west end of the lake where the river comes in or have any recommendations. I am going to take my two boys with me so I want it to be as good as it can be, might be a once in a lifetime trip. I don't want to get out into the lake to far as my boys are pretty young still.

Any help would be great.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermuley View Post
Hey guys, I am planning a trip to lake athabasca for late june. I am gonna load up my river boat with the outfitters tent and campin gear and head up from shell landing north of Fort Mac.

Does anyone know of any hotspots on the south west end of the lake where the river comes in or have any recommendations. I am going to take my two boys with me so I want it to be as good as it can be, might be a once in a lifetime trip. I don't want to get out into the lake to far as my boys are pretty young still.

Any help would be great.
The Richardson and Firebag are both good camping spots, I have a friend who owns a fishing camp up the Richardson.
The problem with the south west end of the lake, is that is stays pretty silty till about 1/3rd of the way across, beacuase of the delta.

The thing to do is to lay up at Ft. Chip, fuel up, then head out along the North shore to the Charlotte River.
Lakers, BIG pike, and MONSTER Grayling.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-17-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:22 PM

Default Can't wait

Man I am really looking forward to this trip, my boys have really taken a liken to fishing so I am going to do all I can with them. I generally do alot of hunting in the fall with at least one big outfitted trip and year but I am gonna switch it up for a few years so I can get the kids out more. My boys will be 3 and 6 by the time the trip rolls around and they are already pumped up about it. We are heading up to north eastern sask. in a couple weeks to do some ice fishing.

I can't amagine one of them big lakers on a rod, I caught them through the ice but never in the summer.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Good luck on your trip Monster. Sounds like it will be a heck of a lot of fun. Make sure you take a ton of photos and let us see them when you're done. Keep a journal as well, I might be asking plenty of questions when you get back. Been wanting to do that trip in my Gatortrax boat for awhile now. Just have to find the time.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 AM

Default Gone Fishin Show

I just watched a TV. show (Going Fishing,with Daryl Chrozny) on saturday and they were fishing on Lake Athabasca. Man they were catching some monsters , northern pike and lakers, just remember to hold on tight.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Banned

Sounds like a heck of a trip monster I hope you guys have a great time it should be something to remember for a life time..

Just a note on the caution side,, I know a couple guys from home that have done that trip more than once and it is fun but it can be interesting.. One thing is they say that the delta is quite something to navigate and a person can get easily turned around and or lost in the maze of trenches and channels a G.P.S can be invaluable in that place.. Also when you get out onto the lake if you travel any distance there is the possibility of the weather turning sour and you may have to spend more time out there than intended.. Just be prepared to wait out any bad weather Lake Athabasca is nothing to play around with when its bad its bad and you will not win a fight with it.. The last time the fellows went they had to wait an extra 3 days to let it calm enough to get back to the river..

I do not want to scare or discourage you from going but just to be cautious and be prepared and don't be brave be smart.. Good luck and have fun...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:17 AM

Thumbs up Lake Athabasca

Hello monster,you are going to have a great time. I took some guys up there last June and we fished the Richardson, Maybelle, Keane, and the Jackfish. The fishing was awesome to say the least. We caught several pike in the 20-30lb. class as well as some excellent walleye up to 10 lbs. The possibilities are endless. You say you are running a riverboat, bring lots of fuel. You can get fuel over at Fort Chip, use the commercial fisheries marina (the west one) its a short walk to the store where you usually can get someone to drive you and your cans to the gas station up the hill. Taxis are there but they will not haul jerry cans. In short getting fuel is a pain. If you do decide to make the run from the delta to Chip use the Fletcher channel, it is marked with a sign, it is at Big Eddy. There will be 3 cabins on your left, this is John Marcels trapline. Stop in and say hi, he is a good guy with a wealth of info. Bring a GPS and leave a track when you head out into the lake. The locals usually set up sticks to mark the narrow channel out about a 1/2 mile into the lake. But on the way back the entrance is very hard to find making the GPS track invaluable. Its the delta and it all looks the same! Also if the wind is out of the east, beware. More than a few have drowned attempting this crossing. A better alternative is to use the winter road and make a fuel cache up by the Richardson. Lastly bring more than enough bug dope, the mosquitos on the delta are horrible!!! As for fishing for lake trout down by the islands (Uranium City area) I strongly recommend using the nautical chart showing the shipping lanes as there are reefs and shoals that will open a boat like a can of sardines. Once there the fishing is incredible. It is a 100 miles of open water from Chip to the islands with virtually no safe harbor. Next summer I am taking another party to that area by way of Stoney Rapids. The winter road north of Lac Laronge has been upgraded a bit so it is now passable in the summer. The road from Points North Landing to Black Lake is bad but can be run albeit very slowly. They are upgrading every year with the uranium mines and the Sask. govt. sharing the costs. The east end of Lake Athabasca has more fishing opportunities including world class grayling fishing on the Fondulac and Grease rivers. It also has several safe harbors and islands to seek refuge from the wind should it arise. Anyway, have a great time. Jeez I'm getting pumped just thinking about it. Tight lines! Brian
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
Good luck on your trip Monster. Sounds like it will be a heck of a lot of fun. Make sure you take a ton of photos and let us see them when you're done. Keep a journal as well, I might be asking plenty of questions when you get back. Been wanting to do that trip in my Gatortrax boat for awhile now. Just have to find the time.
Bring that ol' Gatortrax up here next Spring Rob, we can show you some cool water!
Cat
Old 02-18-2008, 10:22 AM

Anybody heading up this spring, don't hesitate to drop a PM to me before you hit town.
If possible, I'll hook up with you!
Cat
Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Default Best Way

What is the best way to get into the lake, I kinda figured the only way other than flying is to go up the athabasca.

With the kids on board I won't be taking any chances at all, I will be staying close to shore or at least close enough that I can get back in 15 minutes or so. If that means fishing weedbeds for big pike instead of Lakers so be it, can't afford to take the chance with the little guys. I really do want to get into some big lakers though. I got the topo canada maps on my GPS so it deffinatly helps for navaging. As far as fuel, we have a outfitting camp right at the embrass portage so I will be leaving a barrel of fuel there at the trappers that I can fill up on the way up and the way back.

Man I am really getting stoked thinking about this. What are the best hooks to be using for the big lakers? Trolling or jigging?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:17 PM

If you want lakers you need to get out away from the delta and it is a long haul from Fort MAc. LOTS of fuel is needed. Had a friend guide there for years and from what I have learned it is the best lake around for lakers for the size you catch. Catcing 20lbsers +++ are not hard to catch if you know what your doing. The delta is loaded full of big pike but it is a pain to navigate through at times from what I hear. Why don't you leave from your bear camp after the season and do it? Your already more than half way there.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM

I would love to do that Nube but unfortunatly I have to go back to work for 2 weeks emediatly after bear camp. I also am in our camp on the clearwater, dad runs the athabasca camp. From shell landing I can be at the airstrip in three hours so if thats halfway, and it looks to be from my maps it shouldn't be that bad. I got a real good program for my gps so I will at least have a decent map to get through the delta, not saying I will find my way or not have issues but at least I will have a good map to go off of. I can plan the trip out on my laptop and download it to the gps so all I have to do is follow the trail I HOPE. Either way it will be an adventure for the family. Man, I was really looking forward to bear camp, now I can't wait till bear camp is over to go on this trip.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Default wow

wow what kind of man would want to do this adventure alone with his two little boys,you should probly invite another adult to go along just in case.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Banned

Hey Mule;
We did the trip last summer. We left from Fort Mac and navigated up the river to Chip. We were runnin' 18 foot Alumarines with 60 hp Yammys. The river itself was interesting, to say the least. We had to travel pretty slow at times (loaded with sandbars and blind channels) and hit Fort Chip in 8 or nine hours. As one fellow mentioned, the last 20 miles are very interesting......kinda a maze, but keep your eyes open, as the channel is marked by signage on the trees.
The second night we spent on the south shore due to a storm, and by midnight it had let up so we headed for Uranium. Crossing that water in the dark is not reccomended, byt we had no choice. GPS is your best friend on this lake.
I was up there for 114 days last summer, fished quite abit of the lake and caught some huge fish. If you go up; you must go for the Lakers! I know you had mentioned sticking close to the delta for pike, but weather permitting, head north to the islands. Youre really safe here if something blows in as there is always a sheltered side to an island. Also, this puts you in the vicinity of about 4 lodges that i'm sure would help a guy and a couple kids out in trouble.
Oh yeah, its 220 miles to chip from Mac, then another 112 to Uranium.
PM me if you want some GPS co-ordinates to Chip, Uranium, and some holes/reefs.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Default sweet trip

you got me drooling muley, ive been up there and frickin love it. the richardson has some massive pike in there. the river is tiny but good depth . pack lots of bug spray when you go the skeeters will drive you absolutlt crazy. another word of advice is take as much gas as you dare carry , last time i was up there it was in short supply and when we did find it . it was pricey bring cash!! have fun its like no other place ive been. cub
Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

Monster,, with all do respect I think you may be going on a trip you are not fully prepared for... I do not know who you are or what your northern experience is but my friend you are headed into remote country to say the least,, help is very far way off no matter where you are in that neck of the woods.. I personally would never take a child into that environment,, but that is just me.. If you are a very experinced woods man and I mean "very" experinced than by all means go for it,, if not stay home !! The trip you are talking about is not for the weak of heart or the young !! it is a tough trip.. Again,, I do not know who you are but I would hate to read about a statistic rather than your success,, in other words,, just be aware of where you are headed...
Old 02-18-2008, 06:17 PM

I apreciate the concern and the advice. I by no means am thinking that I am free from harms way or that this trip is going to be a walk in the park or a leasurely cruise on sylvan lake but these kinds of things is what we do many times a year. You are right, every bit of caution must be taken especially with the boys with me. I have all the latest technology that there is and I know that that will not help out much in an emergany up there but it will help. I have what I would call a great deal of expierience in the bush as I spend many months a year in them and could survive for a long time if I had to. I do all my ram hunting out of my backpack and live in the mountains for a couple weeks a year with no more than a packpack and rifle. We will live out of the tent while ice fishing in the 30-40 below for weeks at a time. I actually am an outfitter and we have a camp about two thirds of the way to lake athabasca right on the athabasca river. My kids come with me many times a year up to our camps and up some much smaller rivers around home, I realize that that is nothing like the trip that I have planned here but when you use common sence and don't take risks then usually bad things don't happen. I am by no means going to head out into the middle of the lake to try our luck, I am going to follow the charts and maps and stay to the shorelines.

I am not saying nothing can happen, but at the same time you can get run over going to the store for milk. I certainly hope nothing bad happens but realize that that is part of the adventure and anyhting can happen. I just hope the weather is good so we can proceed, if it ain't, then we stay at the river and fish from there.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Default u bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Monster,, with all do respect I think you may be going on a trip you are not fully prepared for... I do not know who you are or what your northern experience is but my friend you are headed into remote country to say the least,, help is very far way off no matter where you are in that neck of the woods.. I personally would never take a child into that environment,, but that is just me.. If you are a very experinced woods man and I mean "very" experinced than by all means go for it,, if not stay home !! The trip you are talking about is not for the weak of heart or the young !! it is a tough trip.. Again,, I do not know who you are but I would hate to read about a statistic rather than your success,, in other words,, just be aware of where you are headed...

walleyes that is very thoughtful of you to be concerned about him,,he is actually my brother and has fished and hunted all over the world along with myself, we bring up 60 clients hunting every year and run two of the most remote hunting camps in alberta, one a fly in area and a river boat area. he is a three quarter slammer with sheep, he tool pushes rigs overseas and has been in the bush along with myself all our lifes, he is very educated in up to date technology and we never ever put ourselfes into a situation with the kids that we dont feel safe,,,now when were on our own that a different story, again i totally appreciate your thinking of the boys but then again these kids along with mine have spent there entire lifes living out of our outfitters tents and bathing in coolers, if he doesnt think its safe to go on he wont i can assure you of this.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Banned

I responded to montser in a P.M. and all I can say is that I am relieved that you guys know what you are doing.. It was not my intention to belittle you guys in any way I just do not know who you are and as such I was a little worried about the trip.. It really sounds like you guys have it together and that's good to hear.. So have fun and good on yous..
Old 02-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I responded to montser in a P.M. and all I can say is that I am relieved that you guys know what you are doing.. It was not my intention to belittle you guys in any way I just do not know who you are and as such I was a little worried about the trip.. It really sounds like you guys have it together and that's good to hear.. So have fun and good on yous..
Besides, they got da cat to he'p 'em out if they need a lift off a mud bar!
Your kids are in for a treat, for sure.....
P.S. - "3/4 Slammer"!!??!! That just put you up there with martinbns on my "I hate you "list !! (grin)
Cat
Old 02-18-2008, 08:54 PM

We have done this trip twice in the last couple of years.Everything everyone has said regarding weather,gas,bugs and the lake should be taken very seriously.We also had bear trouble more than once.The delta from Richardson River to the lake is well marked and is easy to get through.You will see Fort Chip as soon as you get out of the delta.There are huge weed beds out there that will clog a jet right now.I was suprised to see so many weeds that early in the year.Use a GPS to get back.We lost our way and hit a weedbed on the way back and I had to dive under the boat to clean out the intake.Very cold water the last week of June.Definate shrinkage.The fishing was as everyone else has stated-very good to say the least.We never did hit the Grayling,but we'll be back.
There are very few sheltered spots to camp between Fort Chip and the Saskatchewan border.We made it both times to about the Sask. border but we had no gas connection in Sask. and turned back both times to be sure to make it back to Chip.I have a 50 gal. tank in the boat and also hauled another 60 gal. in 10 gal. drums.
The lake can get scary fast.On our way back to Chip it blew up and I remember trying to climb waves to get out of the "trough". My boat is 21 ft.long and we were climbing waves that were still 3-4 ft. higher than the bow with the boat climbing at a 30-40 deg. angle.There is still 2 ft. of jet pump behind me as well.This is no exageration.
Don't let this scare you as common sense is the key on this lake.We should not have been on it at that time.
My father and I will be back, but are looking at the possibality of driving in on the Sask. side.With the new roads opening up maybe it's possible.I would rather drive 3 days than boat 1 day on that lake with a 12 degree bottom jet boat.
All in all both trips are ones I'll never forget and I can't wait to get back.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:59 PM

Well I sure apreciate the offer of helping get off the mud bar, I would prolly even give up my favorite sheep hunting spot for that.....
Old 02-18-2008, 09:11 PM

Thanks alot for all the info and advice guys, and believe me I am listening. This is all great info to have, makes the learning curve alot smaller thats for sure.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:12 PM

Default really

you remember that when im in the back pushing.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:28 PM

to bad you had to work, maybe I would let you come along just so I had someone to tease when I catch my 50 pound laker
Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Well slinger there is another adult coming...lol she just isn't mentioned much. Want to say thank you to all you guys who responded to monster muleys post, makes me more and more excited to go. Thanks for all the tips
Old 02-18-2008, 11:21 PM

Default lol

now thats funny,,,,i would think i better still come sis since your even having trouble spelling your sign in name,,,could be scary logging waypoints,
Old 02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Default Ft Chip

I have a good friend who fishes commercial on Lake Athabaska.I will give him a call and put him in touch with you if you will send me your E-mail.I have fished the lake in July and Oct.There are some places on the north side to find shelter get a good map.good luck.