Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-20-2011, 10:29 PM

Default new to the archery game

i recently bought a bow and am trying to figure out how to sight in and make fine adjusments on the various components any sujestions to aid in the process would be apreciated. i picked up a hoyt maxxis added a spot hog 5 pin an ultra rest and cant wait to have it tuned up and shooting straight but am totaly new to archery/ bowhunting and could use some advice.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Archery

Where are you located sounds like you should head to a shop and get a run down how everything works.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
Where are you located sounds like you should head to a shop and get a run down how everything works.
x2
Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM

Moe's Bow & Archery Supply has all the tools, equipment and expertise to set up and tune your equipment. Draw board, eliminator press, vise, etc.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 PM

Default moe

Hey moehunter you wouldn't happen to know moe would you?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:00 PM

Wow, you didn't hold back on type of equipment for a starter, sounds like you jumped in both feet first.
Where you bought the bow, do they have a range? They should spend a little time with you getting you acustomed to your purchase. It's the very least they can do.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair ptr. View Post
Wow, you didn't hold back on type of equipment for a starter, sounds like you jumped in both feet first.
Where you bought the bow, do they have a range? They should spend a little time with you getting you acustomed to your purchase. It's the very least they can do.
X2

Any place I have ever bought a bow has spent the time setting it up for me if I needed and helping me get going. When you spend that kind of coin the place should offer some level of service.

Lefty
Old 04-22-2011, 11:30 AM

you need to hit up a shop and at the very least get your rest setup properly, as well as a d-loop on your string. Once thats done you can mount your sight and move your pins with no issues.

When sighting in a bow, you move the pin towards the arrow. If your hitting left, move your pin left, high, move pin up etc.

You dont want to hit the trigger on your release hard, you want to gently squeeze it. Basically, draw, anchor, aim, hold, release, follow through.

Your anchor point should be your jaw with your index finger knuckle.

Any shop can steer you in the right direction at first, best to hit one up and let them tell and show you everything i just said, that will get you on the right path.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:31 AM

been at it for 13 years now, still havent mastered it all. was at the top of my game, 1st in alberta for target at one point.