Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2011, 09:50 PM

Default Cold Lake Lakers

That time of year again ! Ice fishing for lakers !
Just starting to get some more laker tackle together alot of new stuff out this year .
Hopfuly it will be frozzen by Feb 1 to drive out on the ice.
Anyone else interested this year in doing a trip !
Might be the last year ,as it might be going to the tag system next year.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Although i don't think the tags would be a bad idea for fish over a certain size I'm curious as to where you heard that because i have talked to the local biologist who works with F & W, and F & W officers recently about Cold Lake regulations regarding trout and haven't heard anything like that. Also being from the area i would have thought word would have gotten out by now if they were planning on implementing a tag system on what seems like a very healthy fishery.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:01 AM

Was at one of their meeting last year and they said it could go that way along with pike. If they say it ,it normaly happens. This years meeting they said it was not as healthy as in the past,but what I have seen some nice lakers were taken last season ,just not many.
Is it true that they still net the lake on the sask. side !
Old 12-09-2011, 08:20 AM

From my own observations over the past 10 years, Cold Lake will not be able to continue to support the pressure that it is now seeing. Unfortunately regulation needs to be implement immediately to control the “keep” and to inadvertently reduce the angling pressure or the Laker population will collapse. It’s already started with the trophy size fish and soon there will be nothing left but 5lbs fish or smaller if everything stays “as-is”.

As for the netting, it happens on both sides of the boarder and it’s predominately aboriginals whom are netting the lake for subsistence. The nets are typically set over shallow waters as they are targeting Whitefish, Walleye, and Pike although the odd Laker is caught, the Laker catch is minimal.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:50 PM

No tags needed for catch and release! And we still would have a fishery to enjoy.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
From my own observations over the past 10 years, Cold Lake will not be able to continue to support the pressure that it is now seeing. Unfortunately regulation needs to be implement immediately to control the “keep” and to inadvertently reduce the angling pressure or the Laker population will collapse. It’s already started with the trophy size fish and soon there will be nothing left but 5lbs fish or smaller if everything stays “as-is”.

As for the netting, it happens on both sides of the boarder and it’s predominately aboriginals whom are netting the lake for subsistence. The nets are typically set over shallow waters as they are targeting Whitefish, Walleye, and Pike although the odd Laker is caught, the Laker catch is minimal.
I'm still looking forward to cleaning up on a few this upcoming year, first time on the lake and I slayed them, then smoked em up mmmmmmmmmmm cant wait.

Ive posted these pics before, however just thinking of Cold Lake gets me dreaming
Old 12-09-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I'm still looking forward to cleaning up on a few this upcoming year, first time on the lake and I slayed them, then smoked em up mmmmmmmmmmm cant wait.

Ive posted these pics before, however just thinking of Cold Lake gets me dreaming
Nice fish, better jersey...
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM

I find Cold Lake laker's unique, we caught some big ones and the heads of them were small and stocky compared to other laker's where there heads are huge matching their large bodies. I'm thinking laker's in Cold Lake grow and fatten up allot faster compared to more northern lakes where the fish put on a huge melon. My brother in law (fishes waaaay north) mentioned he has never seen laker's so healthy.
Thanx sliver I think the jersey's sweet to.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:20 PM

I'm planning my first trip out there this winter when can I expect the ice to be safe enough for my quad or sled?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I would disagree about the lake trout catch being minimal. lol http://www.westerncanadiangamewarden...sToCourts.html
Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 PM

-JR-

dont forget us lake trout virgins on hard water..............yep in for a trip give me date and you'll have some good jostling and hopefully a great trip.

fsl
Old 12-09-2011, 10:08 PM

There's not much I am scared of, and I have seen pictures of a bulldozer crossing cold lake on the ice, but I think I will wait for summer to try for them again. I just love the down rigger.

Ya, I'm a shicken chit

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
I would disagree about the lake trout catch being minimal. lol http://www.westerncanadiangamewarden...sToCourts.html
Whoa!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:25 PM

$8000.00 fine. Well big fricking deal. There is some racial crap happening there. If it was a rich oil worker it would have been a seized truck, boat, public flailing, $25,000.00 fine, and so on. The poor, broke, you know what *.......* get sfa for a fine.

What a shame.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-10-2011, 12:05 AM
Banned

$8000 can be devastating for a lot of people.

$25,000 can be nothing for a oil worker.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:49 AM

Default guides

too many guides on cold lake now in summer, pulling all sizes for who ever will pay for for it. us folk that grew up there or have fished there for years with family always seem to get the short end off the stick.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:20 PM

The current management system , for lack of better words , sucks ! Why allow the larger spawning fish to be kept ? The slot is completely the reverse of other provinces that have TROPHY trout.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Nice lakers, my biggest was a 14 incher from Dease lake northern b.c, really would love to catch a laker here in Alberta though.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levy View Post
With the netting activity and waste, catch and release isn't going to do much. In addition as said by another member, our biologists are backwards allowing large fish to be kept and small ones released. Saskatchewan figured that out a long time about but Alberta won't change. Yes they have their reasons but I don't agree with them.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
$8000 can be devastating for a lot of people.

$25,000 can be nothing for a oil worker.
I don't care who you are 25000 is alot of money!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Great fish. TERRIBLE JERSY!!!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM

Perhaps if the punishment suited the crime this horse.....! wouldnt be happening. i dont care if your a native indian or who you are! That person should never fish, never have a net or even be allowed near a lake again. The other story of the bird poacher is even more sickening! i bet he would have a different tune if he were the prey looking down the barrel of one our Benellis! Our fish and wildlife laws are a joke and the lack of funding to that dept by out bozo government is worse!