Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: How long did your PAL or R-PAL renewal application take to complete?
PAL: ~ 2 weeks 12 24.00%
PAL: ~ 4 weeks 9 18.00%
PAL: ~ 6 weeks 8 16.00%
PAL: ~ 2 months 5 10.00%
PAL: 3+ months 3 6.00%
R-PAL: ~ 2 weeks 1 2.00%
R-PAL: ~ 4 weeks 2 4.00%
R-PAL: ~ 6 weeks 2 4.00%
R-PAL: ~ 2 months 1 2.00%
R-PAL: 3+ months 7 14.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 PM

Arrow PAL/R-PAL 'Renewal' Application Turnaround Times

After applying on-line just two weeks ago, my PAL renewal card arrived in the mail today, in what I suspect is close to record time. After just one week, my on-line renewal file showed that my renewal application had been accepted and approved ... and one week after that, my PAL renewal card arrived in the mail !

After hearing lots of horror stories lately about how long PAL/R-PAL renewals were taking, I expected the process to take two months or more.

Out of interest, I set up a poll for this thread to see what others have experienced this year. Note that the poll is split into two (2) sections:
PAL and R-PAL

Let's hear what others have experienced this year.

Selkirk

Last edited by Selkirk; 11-15-2017 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 AM

My most recent renewal was 1.5 years ago and I used snail mail to apply for it. I applied about 9-10 weeks prior to my expiration date and got it about 2-3 weeks after the expiration. I had contacted the CFC a couple of times to ensure things were Kosher with my renewal about a week prior to the expiration.

I suspect I'll take the electronic route next time.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:13 AM

I was involved in a fraud deal over the net fortunately no money changed hands however my RPAL was compromised and I had to reapply took 6 weeks. A year later I applied for a ATT I was told I don't have any handguns registered the tone on the phone changed dramatically where did you get them, how long have you had them, where are they right now, I was shocked I told her I've had some for 40 years. I was transferred to her supervisor she found out when they gave me a new number none of my restricteds were transferred over to my new number I was granted my ATT.

A month later I sold a handgun same thing again! you don't own any I eventually found the right person to get fixed... Oy vey what a system.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Thumbs up PAL/R-PAL On-line Renewals

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

My most recent renewal was 1.5 years ago and I used snail mail to apply for it. I applied about 9-10 weeks prior to my expiration date and got it about 2-3 weeks after the expiration. I had contacted the CFC a couple of times to ensure things were Kosher with my renewal about a week prior to the expiration.

I suspect I'll take the electronic route next time.

From my experience, the 'on-line' (electronic) renewal method worked like a snap (2 weeks turnaround time for my PAL). The only thing I would suggest is for a person to have all their ducks in order, before starting the on-line process ... including a good electronic photo of yourself, that meets all their requirements.

The on-line renewal process starts here ... http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/o.../index-eng.htm

Selkirk
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM

Mine took about 3 weeks. My ex-roommate's took almost a year from the time he sent the renewal in, it had expired for 9 months before a new card was finally issued. He had restricted firearms too, so the government hung him out to dry as a potential criminal for far too long.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:15 PM
Gone Hunting

I was a couple days short of 3 weeks via snail mail last time
Old 11-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Just recently renewed my non restricted online and got my card in the mail within 2 weeks, was super simple and the photo i used was literally a selfie i took with my iPhone
Old 11-17-2017, 09:21 AM

My restricted took over 6 months vis snail mail. Funny thing they charged my c/c within days of sending in the renewal. I called the CFO wondering what’s taking so long and he pulled my paperwork and approved it in less than 2 minutes. Next time i’ll do it electronically. Exact same situation happened to one of my buddies also.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:38 AM

Cool

Renewed my PAL via the old method (paper & snail mail) early this year. Because "they" lost my photo, I had to send them another one. The whole process took well over two months to complete.

Next time, I'll use their website!
Old 11-19-2017, 12:53 AM

Applied in mid August, online. Took them several weeks to request the range membership confirmation, took me about month to send it in. After that took a couple of weeks for the new card to arrive. Probably the whole process could've been faster but with my work schedule (2/1), and current card not expiring for another 4 months i was not in the rush to rush things.