Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-16-2008, 06:12 AM

Default Coal Lake

Heard coal lake has been good on catching small pike ,has there been any legal size pike comeing out ,and how long does it take to catch one .
Five of dimonds still working out there .
JR
Old 07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

big john and i caught lots of big fish out of coal that we could of kept. five of diamonds works as well as a red devil. went by there the other day the lake is very weedy from shore, might be tough fishing.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Still hammering them from the boat! Just have to get out a ways from the weeds and you should do fine. I troll it and average probably 8-10 fish/hour, sometimes more. Sizes good too, and good potential for 15lb+ monsters.

good luck.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:30 PM

I went out on the 1st. 21 in 3 hours. Three keepers (although they all went back). Was on the water just after 8 didn't make it very far down the lake.
Found a spot just south of the boat launch on the west side then went down past the first turn on the east side. Only two spots we needed for that short a trip. Probably headin out on Sunday and hoping to see if the fish get any bigger further south.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM

very bad weeds now.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Is it weedy all over or just on the north end of the lake.Are there any rocks to look out for at the boat launch or down the lake ,as I hate to damage my prop.
Are the fish more on the east side of the lake and half way down the lake or are they everwhere
Old 07-18-2008, 01:56 AM

I launch on the south end and never make all the way north. Fish found all over. People will argue one end being better than the other but the lake is chalk full of pike and they can be found anywhere. Lake is not very deep either. This time of year, I troll in 12-15ft of water which ends up being about 200yards from shore. Keeps me out of the weeds without losing the bite.

You could troll right down the middle and still catch fish (I've done it). Deepest part is about 30 feet.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:50 PM

We were fishing there last Saturday. Two of us caught only 4 fish in 6-8 hrs compared to at least 50 month ago. Tried spoons, spinners, bucktails, vibrating plugs, slip bobbers etc. Others were having a hard time too. I don’t know if it's the lake or just one bad day!
Old 07-18-2008, 03:39 PM

Thats not good news !
Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM

just recently, ice fishing some people caught im not sure how many pike but they were as long as a truck bumper!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by get r done View Post
just recently, ice fishing some people caught im not sure how many pike but they were as long as a truck bumper!
They had photos this morning on Global news, the pike were laying on the tailgate and they were just as long. And of course both were off to the frying pan
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by get r done View Post
MMMMMHMMMMMMM Exactly Betty is in that lake , thats gonna be the pike I get mounted because shes well over 50 inches . And she lurks these waters Mwahahhahahaa .
Old 01-07-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
MMMMMHMMMMMMM Exactly Betty is in that lake , thats gonna be the pike I get mounted because shes well over 50 inches . And she lurks these waters Mwahahhahahaa .
Mwahahhahahaa, Jabba! May the Fish b we with U!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Ballz View Post
They had photos this morning on Global news, the pike were laying on the tailgate and they were just as long. And of course both were off to the frying pan
I saw that too. But you have to wonder... do the people that caught those pike really want everyone in Edmonton to know they got them at Coal? Seems a bit counter productive on many levels.

I'm not convinced those fish came from Coal. The photo provided didn't show any background either.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfespirit View Post
I saw that too. But you have to wonder... do the people that caught those pike really want everyone in Edmonton to know they got them at Coal? Seems a bit counter productive on many levels.

I'm not convinced those fish came from Coal. The photo provided didn't show any background either.
Perhaps. I like your optimistic view
Old 01-09-2010, 08:02 PM

I think everyone from Edmonton was out there today
Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM

It was my first time there today, and it wasn't because of this thread. I was waiting for chance to get out and even the weather was great. There where loads of people out there, is that common? Next I want to try wizard.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 PM

where is the pick of this huge pike ?? maybe somone could post it
Old 01-09-2010, 10:21 PM

I searched for it but can't find it. A viewer sent the picture into Global news Edmonton and they showed them on the morning news. I was out there today and man was it busy!! never seen it like that before.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:35 PM

dont think i would worry about the trafic to much... most guys have no idea how to catch big pike and i suspect that most of those guys will be 1 timers. a fiew years back it was a great big pike lake. i was happy with landing one over 10 lbs every trip out but now it takes a bit of work to get those real big ones. but isnt that the way in alberta... i wish that guys would throw those big ones back, they taste poor anyway once they are over 10lbs..

any onw catch any big ones recently? any sign of perch?
Old 01-09-2010, 11:03 PM

It looked much like a parking lot there today... I was shocked to see so many people, but it was a very nice day weather wise and I suspect that had lots to do with it
Old 01-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossmann View Post
dont think i would worry about the trafic to much... most guys have no idea how to catch big pike and i suspect that most of those guys will be 1 timers. a fiew years back it was a great big pike lake. i was happy with landing one over 10 lbs every trip out but now it takes a bit of work to get those real big ones. but isnt that the way in alberta... i wish that guys would throw those big ones back, they taste poor anyway once they are over 10lbs..

any onw catch any big ones recently? any sign of perch?
i agree, just keep the ones that are right over the legal size to eat