Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Why are you so fearful of guns, especially the least powerful class, handguns?
I'm not fearful of guns. It's idiots that are dangerous.

Whether they have guns, or vehicles, or stand at the top of the escalator while cluelessly blocking everyone, or walk out into traffic while furiously texting, the lame of brain, the self-absorbed, and the self-important increase risk of accident.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerbadger View Post

Whether they have guns, or vehicles, or stand at the top of the escalator while cluelessly blocking everyone, or walk out into traffic while furiously texting, the lame of brain, the self-absorbed, and the self-important increase risk of accident.
Idiots already have guns.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Idiots already have guns.
I know. Heh, the threads on here alone by people who'd "shoot back", if some hunter mistakes them for an animal, are really something. Out on the ranges and out hunting, it's amazing what one encounters.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:06 PM

Why is it that these threads keep popping up about open carry in Canada or getting the AR15 off the restricted list...SORRY...both wont happen at all.Way back in the 80"s...yes we had legal 30 round mags,ar15's could be shot in the gopher patch. But them days are long gone..
Old 12-25-2014, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Are you for or against legalization of dope? I'm interested. I know it's a digression from the topic at hand.

In case you were unaware, there are in fact laws in place to minimize minors access to and use of alcohol, pills, and smokes.
By dope do you mean all illicit drugs or only certain ones.

There are also laws in place that restrict minors access to firearms and they are working much better than the laws pertaining to smokes, pills and alcohol.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:29 PM

Quote:

So you are fearful of darn near everyone and use that as a basis to disallow open carry. Is that not the definition of hoplophobe?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
So you are fearful of darn near everyone and use that as a basis to disallow open carry. Is that not the definition of hoplophobe?
How long did it take you to find that word?

And no, it doesn't apply.

If you'll flip back a couple of pages, my first post was "Based on how people talk in the driving threads, I wouldn't trust 'em with sidearms, either!"

I'm not scared of you. I just don't trust you. (in this case, "you" is both literal and metaphorical)
Old 12-25-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
How long did it take you to find that word?

And no, it doesn't apply.

If you'll flip back a couple of pages, my first post was "Based on how people talk in the driving threads, I wouldn't trust 'em with sidearms, either!"

I'm not scared of you. I just don't trust you. (in this case, "you" is both literal and metaphorical)
Like mentioned before, you don't know me, don't have any idea what level of training and licensing I have yet I'm not trustworthy. How do you manage to get out of bed in the morning being that distrustful? Firearms owners are amongst the most vetted members of our society, and amongst the most law abiding, they aren't the problem.

It doesn't make sense that a person can walk around with a loaded rifle/shotgun , yet would turn into a crazed lunatic if allowed a sidearm. You have not used any sort of logic in your argument, lots of emotion and fearmongering though.

Have a nice evening.

Merry Christmas

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
What issue? Am I missing something like there is an issue that is being considered by parliament?

I wouldn't mind carrying a handgun anywhere where I could legally carry a rifle. That makes sense to me. It's not logical to say that you can carry a rifle or shotgun in the bush but not a handgun.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/wildernessprotection/

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-25-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Like mentioned before, you don't know me, don't have any idea what level of training and licensing I have yet I'm not trustworthy. How do you manage to get out of bed in the morning being that distrustful? Firearms owners are amongst the most vetted members of our society, and amongst the most law abiding, they aren't the problem.

It doesn't make sense that a person can walk around with a loaded rifle/shotgun , yet would turn into a crazed lunatic if allowed a sidearm. You have not used any sort of logic in your argument, lots of emotion and fearmongering though.

Have a nice evening.

Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas to you too.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surhuntsalot View Post

There are a bunch of requirements, and a ton of paper work involved, not all applications are approved , but some are. One of the questions is " Would Law Enforcement be able to offer you the protection in a reasonable amount of time?"... In many circumstances where outdoorsman are, they would not.
In many circumstances in town they cannot. They almost certainly cannot in a rural area, let alone in the bush.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM

To many people like ostriches,stick their heads in the sand and maybe it will go away
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guywiththemule View Post
Yep !!!! Seat belts,fire extinguishers,railing on stairways,helmets on motorbikes and bicycles and (horses)(god forbid),guard rails,airbags,travel insurance,airline security,-.-.- do I really need to go on ???
You cannot be that slow, can you ??
Are you suggesting that he was referring to himself when he posted:

Quote:
My viewpoint comes from "Half the population is of below average intelligence", and I'd rather they didn't have hand cannons on them all the time.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Banned

Cool

I like the idea , training and a standard of proficiency, hmm almost like it was my idea I would like to see certification on the actual carried pistol. Ie you can only carry what you passed proficiency with. Wanna carry a 454 casul ..then you have to pass all the proficiency test with that as your side arm . No cheating and passing proficiency with the minimum standard 45apc iirc, then packing a S&W 500. cause you know how it works in alberta ..ask newb .
Old 12-26-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connexion123 View Post
Who cares? That's your opinion. Let me have mine.
Did I say you were wrong or you have no right to an opinion. You have me a bit confused with this response. There are a lot of people who care about my opinions but I guess you are not one of them, oh well won't lose sleep over that.

I gather then this has more to do with our freedom and rights to do so. I am OK with that and do understand the wilderness carry idea. I would be curious as to how many people would get a permit if available and why they would carry a firearm.

Last edited by javlin101; 12-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I like the idea , training and a standard of proficiency, hmm almost like it was my idea I would like to see certification on the actual carried pistol. Ie you can only carry what you passed proficiency with. Wanna carry a 454 casul ..then you have to pass all the proficiency test with that as your side arm . No cheating and passing proficiency with the minimum standard 45apc iirc, then packing a S&W 500. cause you know how it works in alberta ..ask newb .

When I renewed my ATC I had to qualify with the handgun I will be carrying.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Me to. Allowed 2 pistols on Atc and have to prove proficiency with both.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
Perfect , not liable to sing on but I respect others right to try. Any one can apply for ATC now can't they ..so whats the big hoopla abought??
Old 12-26-2014, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know. Heh, the threads on here alone by people who'd "shoot back", if some hunter mistakes them for an animal, are really something. Out on the ranges and out hunting, it's amazing what one encounters.
The guy who shoots back is in the wrong? How about the guy trying to kill you because he's too ignorant to properly identify a species?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Perfect , not liable to sing on but I respect others right to try. Any one can apply for ATC now can't they ..so whats the big hoopla abought??
Yes anyone can apply. Maybe every one should to send a msg? I don't know how to post the link up for the forms.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
The fact most are denied for spurious reasons.

I do agree with your point of qualifying on what you carry,

But to others baseless argument, is a handgun more dangerous than a 12 gauge?

Nope, I'd argue less dangerous.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
The guy who shoots back is in the wrong? How about the guy trying to kill you because he's too ignorant to properly identify a species?
The wilderness carry permits are not for defence against people guys, com'on!
Two permits, one for big bore guns, one for small bore.
I know Uke Hunter got a trap line not to long ago ( last year IIRC) and acquired his permits very quickly.
Not a big deal,except they won't just issue them to someone like an ordinary Joe who wants to carry a hand gun while hunting.
They have always been available , BTW, very few were issued however.

Cat
Old 12-26-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The wilderness carry permits are not for defence against people guys, com'on!
Two permits, one for big bore guns, one for small bore.
I know Uke Hunter got a trap line not to long ago ( last year IIRC) and acquired his permits very quickly.
Not a big deal,except they won't just issue them to someone like an ordinary Joe who wants to carry a hand gun while hunting.
They have always been available , BTW, very few were issued however.

Cat
Like cat has said. If one wants to do the paperwork it is not a hard process . I would like to know the number that have applied and how many were declined.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

One of the biggest farces of all time, not letting bow hunters carry a side arm while hunting big game that is! At least I have my Mossy 88.

If JT gets voted in, say good by to my Mossy 88 most likely!
Old 12-26-2014, 01:19 PM

This sure strayed for the original question.
A lot of people on here have problems focusing.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
One of the biggest farces of all time, not letting bow hunters carry a side arm while hunting big game that is! At least I have my Mossy 88.

If JT gets voted in, say good by to my Mossy 88 most likely!
Shouldn't be just bow hunters. Anybody that has the need or want should be able to once they go through the process. My pistol/rifle or shotgun is no more dangerous than yours so why should I have a Atc and not you?
Not arguing with you. Agreeing with you lol.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:12 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
The fact most are denied for spurious reasons.

I do agree with your point of qualifying on what you carry,

But to others baseless argument, is a handgun more dangerous than a 12 gauge?

Nope, I'd argue less dangerous.
Some one take a note of this we just agreed. Outside of capacity I would agree a 12 ga is more lethal.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:18 PM

I always thought the ATC was for employment only: trapper, logger etc.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
I always thought the ATC was for employment only: trapper, logger etc.
It is.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
Why is it that these threads keep popping up about open carry in Canada or getting the AR15 off the restricted list...SORRY...both wont happen at all.Way back in the 80"s...yes we had legal 30 round mags,ar15's could be shot in the gopher patch. But them days are long gone..
Because some people aren't willing to just roll over and die and say its hopeless, no point in trying. Some of us are actually willing to fight to try and get things changed.
Closed Thread