Old 10-05-2017, 01:07 PM

Oilers vs Leafs Cup.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:43 PM

The Flames are just like the Titanic.

Look great until they hit the ice.

Old 10-05-2017, 03:18 PM

Flames ZERO !! Bahaha zeros are for losers so I guess a perfect match
Old 10-05-2017, 04:20 PM

The Flames looked extra ordinarily ordinary last night.

A hat trick, a shut out, opening night and against the flames. Fricken awesome!

BW
Old 10-05-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
As expected, total domination in every aspect of the game. Even oils d-men put on a clinic for the flames d-men.....:
That's a pretty interesting synopsis. I saw one player dominating the game, McDavid. He is in my opinion the best player ever, better than Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Howe...name who you want. This kid is better, and he will keep getting better. He dominated. Take him out of last nights game, Edmonton doesn't score. 60% of their offense was with him on the ice, and nobody else beat Smith or the D. The rest of the time, there was no 'Oilers dominance'. Even Leon wasn't really fantastic last night. Better than the Johnny what'shisname though, he was putrid.

Anyway, the Oilers will win games because McDavid dominates the game. Not because 'the Oilers' dominate the game. God forbid McDavid gets injured and misses half a season (or Talbot for that matter), because I enjoy watching him (that end to end goal was insane. The first where he was left alone out front was an easy goal, and the empty netter is just that).....anyway, if he disappears for half a season injured, the Oilers don't make the playoffs. The rest of the team just isn't that dominating as you seem to think. Or else the score would have been 14-1 as you predicted. But it wasn't. Not a single other Oiler scored, even playing with McDavid. He pretty much beat the Flames by himself.

For all the good a reality check ever did an Oilers fan.

On the Flames side, I was actually surprised by how well Smith played, he stopped McJesus on three seperate breaks? The D looked good, except against McJesus, who makes Brodie look slow (and he isn't). I wish the Flames would make Brouwer and Stajan go away. And if Johnny can't play with the big boys, he needs to sit. Tanner Glass might have hurt his hand making Kassian's face bleed, but Kassian sure didn't 'dominate every aspect of that fight'....

Good win for McDavid, and all those other guys who play with him.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-05-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's a pretty interesting synopsis. I saw one player dominating the game, McDavid. He is in my opinion the best player ever, better than Gretzky, Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, Howe...name who you want. This kid is better, and he will keep getting better. He dominated. Take him out of last nights game, Edmonton doesn't score. 60% of their offense was with him on the ice, and nobody else beat Smith or the D. The rest of the time, there was no 'Oilers dominance'. Even Leon wasn't really fantastic last night. Better than the Johnny what'shisname though, he was putrid.

Anyway, the Oilers will win games because McDavid dominates the game. Not because 'the Oilers' dominate the game. God forbid McDavid gets injured and misses half a season (or Talbot for that matter), because I enjoy watching him (that end to end goal was insane. The first where he was left alone out front was an easy goal, and the empty netter is just that).....anyway, if he disappears for half a season injured, the Oilers don't make the playoffs. The rest of the team just isn't that dominating as you seem to think. Or else the score would have been 14-1 as you predicted. But it wasn't. Not a single other Oiler scored, even playing with McDavid. He pretty much beat the Flames by himself.

On the Flames side, I was actually surprised by how well Smith played, he stopped McJesus on three seperate breaks? The D looked good, except against McJesus, who makes Brodie look slow (and he isn't). I wish the Flames would make Brouwer and Stajan go away. And if Johnny can't play with the big boys, he needs to sit. Tanner Glass might have hurt his hand making Kassian's face bleed, but Kassian sure didn't 'dominate every aspect of that fight'....

We watched a different game,
Old 10-05-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I think you guys watched the same game. But depending on what you were on, saw different results.

Twisty had water...
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:

You must not have seen the shots on goal count (45-26) or face off wins last night.
Not even McDavid can win with a crappy team behind him.
No doubt he is by far the best player I've ever seen (including those you mentioned) but Draisaitl assisted on two of his three goals.
Calgary wasn't playing bad. They just lost to a better team.
I do agree that Kassian kinda sucked in the fight though.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM

Actually the whole oiler team played great. Much better than flames as a whole.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You must not have seen the shots on goal count (45-26) or face off wins last night.
No doubt he is by far the best player I've ever seen (including those you mentioned) but Draisaitl assisted on two of his three goals.
Kassian might have sucked in the fight but the result was in the Oiler's favor. The Oiler's came out of that fight with more life an d energy than the Flames. I don't know what it is, but when Kassian is engaged physically the rest of the team and the crowd is engaged. He might be the closest thing to the second coming of Semenko that the Oiler's have ever had. I like his style of crazy as long as he doesn't go overboard with stupid penalties.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
We watched the same game.

Quote:
I didn't say the Oilers were a 'crappy team'. Far from it. I said they didn't dominate 'every aspect of the game' as was suggested. McDavid dominated. That's why they won. He is just that good. Take him out of the equation, and I see two teams that are actually fairly evenly matched, with the goaltending nod going to Talbot (though I think Smith played a good game last night), the Flames D is better, and the forwards match up pretty evenly for the most part. The Flames lost to a team with the most dominant, skilled, outrageous player in the world, but to say that the whole team is better? The score actually doesn't reflect that, as only McDavid scored. Shots on goal only mean anything if they go in. Stats are wonderful things that don't prove much. Last year teams that won the most face offs lost the most games. Look it up.

Take McDavid off the ice, and Flames top line might actually have gotten some shots on goal, instead of running around in their own zone like headless chickens, and those numbers change. The Flames might still have lost too. Or the Oilers. The only thing for sure is there are very few players that have the ability to change a game by themselves like McD does.

McDavid had a good win, with all those other guys he plays with.

Kassian's face dominated Tanner Glass's fist.

Quote:
I know you believe that, and I still like you anyway.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-05-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:

There will be nobody ever better than Gretzky....I guarantee it
Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
There will be nobody ever better than Gretzky....I guarantee it
Well, he was pretty good, I guess..... But Connor is on a whole different level. You have to admit the game has gotten a lot better and faster too, I don't know if the Gretz would look the same playing in today's game as he did in his day. Maybe though.....But Connor is still better I believe. Time will tell.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Well, he was pretty good, I guess..... But Connor is on a whole different level. You have to admit the game has gotten a lot better and faster too, I don't know if the Gretz would look the same playing in today's game as he did in his day. Maybe though.....But Connor is still better I believe. Time will tell.
Wayne didn't have to be fast, as his brain, skill level and to find anyone on the ice without even looking was amazing. Mcdavid shows those same kind of qualities, but his speed is doing most of the work...IMHO...and I have followed the game along time...LOL

I do admit that I have always been a Flames fan but having such a dynamic player so close to us is exciting to watch
Old 10-05-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Wayne didn't have to be fast, as his brain, skill level and to find anyone on the ice without even looking was amazing. Mcdavid shows those same kind of qualities, but his speed is doing most of the work...IMHO...and I have followed the game along time...LOL

I do admit that I have always been a Flames fan but having such a dynamic player so close to us is exciting to watch
Wayne is certainly the Great One, he saw the game happening around him like no one else, and changed it. Connor is doing the same, as he matures he is going to be frightening! He certainly is exciting to watch.

Being a Flames fan since they came from Atlanta when I was just a teenager...has been pretty painful over the years! But certainly some great moments too.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I must be confused, I was under the impression the Oilers did in fact win last night?

Without McDavid, the Oilers aren't nearly as good and likely aren't anywhere near the playoffs, Twisted is pretty much spot on. What would that look like, Maroon-RNH-Eberle on the 1st line with Strome as the 2nd line center. Wonder how far the odds will drop when McDavid gets hurt.

Last edited by Trochu; 10-05-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:07 PM

Watching the game yesterday, I don't think I have seen a faster player in my near 1/2 century. Mcdavid has the stuff, legends are made of. That line Mcdavid, Draisaitl, and Maroon. All big guys, strong, skilled, tough. Don't know if there will be a better line in NHL. Maroon smiling all the way to the Bank (he won the Lottery).
Old 10-05-2017, 09:17 PM

Smith made the other Oilers and at times McDavid kook very ordinary. He was outstanding and deserved a win for his efforts. I believe the Flames will have a very good season if he continues to play like that. The other Oilers did out shoot and out play the Flames. If not for Smith it would have been very ugly.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Now, the Hawks showed the Pens tonight what team dominance looks like. Shots 44-29 (similar to the game last night), but the score was 10-1, and none of those on an empty net. Against the Cup champs. That is team dominance right there. Scoring from 7 players. Hat trick for Saad. 2 for Schmaltz. Assists up the wazoo from the D and every line chipped in. If you can't see the comparison, I can't help you any more than that.

But McDavid is the real deal for sure. Going to win some games that kid. And those other guys he plays with.

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 10-05-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Watching the game yesterday, I don't think I have seen a faster player in my near 1/2 century. Mcdavid has the stuff, legends are made of. That line Mcdavid, Draisaitl, and Maroon. All big guys, strong, skilled, tough. Don't know if there will be a better line in NHL. Maroon smiling all the way to the Bank (he won the Lottery).
Yep. That line is so dangerous in such a variety of ways. Their deep cycle game is fantastic. Seen many times last year that line absolutely hem in a team in for lengthy periods of time, creating grade A chance after grade A chance, and the line is built perfectly for it. Maroon just muscles and bullies guys around, gets in front, causes problems, but is still able to smartly cycle the puck while doing so, and knows to keep his stick on the ice. McDavid is McDavid, and just about any style of hockey he plays, he's going to run with it. He can free wheel around, find open ice, pick guys pockets, win puck battles along the boards, thread needles with his passes, shoot as good as anyone, he'll do it all. And Draisaitl is sort of a mix between the two of them. Big strong frame and can muscle guys around, wreak havoc down low, but will also free wheel, make stellar passes, and has a pretty nifty back hand. This was all well documented in the Calgary game on the first goal.

Then of course McDavid will burn you with his pure speed. This, of course, was extremely well documented on the second goal.

As well, as seen all the time last year, they're also great at end-end rushes. Maroon has decent finish, Drai has great finish and overall on-ice chemistry with McDavid. Lots of tap in goals received by Maroon and Drai last season. This year though, I think McDavid going to be shooting the biscuit just a little more...
Old 10-05-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
I'd say the next best player after McDavid was Smith. Good thing for the Shames too or they'd have taken a beat down. Couldn't get any offense going .... even with our 1 man show on the bench and our terrible D out there.

Bet Johnny is glad he held out for more money looked like a bantam kid out there.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:56 PM

Default Travelin Jagrs

I'd love to party with this crowd. Can't wait to see them and bandwagon jumpers supporting one of the leagues best players in history during his final year of play.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgill808 View Post
When you tank 10+ years and get a generational talent in a lottery, you should be winning. Not to mention, a brand new arena.
Let's just clear the air right now, the Oilers NEVER tanked, never once not one single game. They were just THAT bad! But they never tanked unlike Toronto tried to do to secure McHattrick. Speaking of sucking, enlighten the group as to what pinnacles of achievement the shames managed to achieve in those same ten years. What did THEY win? I'll wait...
Old 10-06-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Now, the Hawks showed the Pens tonight what team dominance looks like. Shots 44-29 (similar to the game last night), but the score was 10-1, and none of those on an empty net. Against the Cup champs. That is team dominance right there. Scoring from 7 players. Hat trick for Saad. 2 for Schmaltz. Assists up the wazoo from the D and every line chipped in. If you can't see the comparison, I can't help you any more than that.
Had it not been for Smith in between the pipes, it would of also been 10-1, I mean 10-0. A team can be totally dominated with a 1 goal loss, the score hardly reflected what actually happened in that game. I can't help you any more than that
Old 10-06-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
Had it not been for Smith in between the pipes, it would of also been 10-1, I mean 10-0. A team can be totally dominated with a 1 goal loss, the score hardly reflected what actually happened in that game. I can't help you any more than that
Oh! The Speculation Game, my favorite! OK, my turn.....

'IF McDavid had a tummy ache and didn't play, but Smith was still in net, and IF Lucic had got sent back to the Neanderthal exhibit at the museum he obviously escaped from, and IF Jagr had been on the wing instead of Brouwer, and IF Johnny had actually played like he wasn't terrified of all the Big Men, THEN Calgary would have won that game 2-1'.

Or, 'IF the Oilers had gotten a bunch of first overall picks like Hall and Eberle and RNH and Yak, before they got McDavid, and IF those guys had played together for a bunch of years before McDavid showed up to save them, THEN the Oilers would have made the playoffs a bunch of years and won some Stanley Cups just like the Old Dynasty did, because the WHOLE Team would have just been SO good and dominating every aspect of the game.....'

This is fun! Anybody else want to speculate some more nonsense about IF?

Old 10-06-2017, 06:51 AM

I speculate more losses for Calgary. Stay tuned.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
You don't think they will have a season long win streak from here on out either? See, we agree on something!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:35 PM

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Old 10-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I speculate that your speculation is going to be very accurate!

BW
Old 10-06-2017, 02:09 PM

You Edmonton guys better come down to Calgary. You can go to the neighborhood pub and not have the oiler organization trying to force you to drink that awful Molson Beer. Craft beer for sure. I heard it all now if you do not sell Molsons you cannot have oiler posters in your pub