Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-25-2011, 03:48 PM

Default Stupidest Fishing Bloopers

Hi, I thought I would just post some of my stupidest mistakes while fishing. If any one else would like to share their experiences, please feel free to.

1. My first mistake is something I like to call "lineless hook". I remember being out at Eden lake years back ice fishing. I was getting my fishing lure all nice and baited. Once I got my lure all nice and baited, without second thought, I drop it down the hole. I automatically reach to grab the "imaginary line", I start panicking and think where's the line! To my horror, I realize I just plucked my nicely baited fishing lure down the hole without remembering to tie it.

2. My other notable blooper was about 5 years ago at Lac Du Bonnet Manitoba. I remember I was walleye fishing and anyways, I was casting with a whole bunch of other rods in the boat. On one my cast's I here this big scabloop. Not much later, I look around for one of my favorite $100.00+ walleye rod and reel combos. I search around looking for the setup but can't find it. . Surely enough it comes to me. I realized I just hooked that nice walleye rod and reel combo and casted it out into the lake. .

When I think back about these bloopers, I find them very amusing now.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 PM

I did # 1 last week, broke the line and lost a hook, broke a piece of the line off so I would have nice fresh line, tied on new hook, last of it's kind on the planet, of course, and dropped it along with the 2' of line that I had stripped off the old one.

Other was not me, but I was involved, fishing at one of the close lakes in my boat with Old Man, all of a sudden hear this 'whiiiiiiiiip ziiiiiiiiiiiiiing' "THWAK" and noticed blood running down my face. He nailed me hard with a fly right above and ahead of my ear by about 1/32nd of an inch. Amazing how hard those little hooks nail you. Sure glad I was wearing glasses.

Same guy last week dropped his glasses down the hole, while he was having his panic attack looking for a tree or magnet, I fished them out with a treble hook in about 12' of water. Real lucky there.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2011, 07:55 PM

I don't have much to share except I usually drop some kind of hook in the water...

But makes me think of Bill Dance. FUNNY STUFF! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BLggf-mqs
Old 02-25-2011, 07:58 PM

Ice fishing with my dad and chipping the ice from the hole and dropping his bar down the hole.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I don't have much to share except I usually drop some kind of hook in the water...

But makes me think of Bill Dance. FUNNY STUFF! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_BLggf-mqs
I've seen Bill Dance's videos and they're downright hillarios. Especially the one where his electric motor unmounts from the boat. I remember I was laughing so hard that tears were running down my face.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Oh man I have tears in my eyes , thats some funny sh&t
Old 02-25-2011, 09:35 PM

Default fishing bloopers

about 15 yrs ago in manitoba we were ice fishing when we heard a big helabalu. the guy yelling just came out of his shack followed by a wet black lab. about 50ft farther over another guy was yelling at his dog. i guess what happened was the second guy was pulling in a fish and when it got to the hole the line broke and took off , the dog went after the fish down the hole and came up in the first guys shack , scared the sh-t out of him when that dog came up.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:01 AM

Hey speaking of lac du bonnet manitoba!!!!! did you lose your rod by the point power house,cause if you did caught it a few years back.I was walleye fishin there and caught a rod one of the best fights i've had the hook must have been snagged and when i pulled real hard the drag would slip,then the current would flop the rod all over and give me good headshakes...
Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 AM

I did a variation of your 'lineless hook' earlier this season. I had just finished re-tying a new snap swivel on to my line, and I hooked my quick strike rig to the snap swivel and dropped 'er down. I usually let my bait drop down to the bottom and then pull it back up just a little bit, but I couldn't figure out why it seemed like I had so much line down because no matter how much line I pulled up, the bait wouldn't move off the bottom I kept pulling up my line until I got to the end where I'd apparently forgotten to close my snap swivel, so the rig came off

Took me a little trying, but I managed to pull the rig, still baited, up off the bottom with a big ol' magnet

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 02-26-2011, 08:00 AM

I watched my rod go down the hole a Winchill lake a few years back while fishing with my daughter. I was rigging her up and never thought some big enough to take the rod was in the lake.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 AM

Fishn Campbell River a number of year ago, very excited etc. tied flasher, hoochie etc. and rather than snap on my fishing line, threw the works "over the side". Friend had many laffs!!!

Fishing Crawling a few year ago with brother, heading to front of boat c/w Browning rod and reel I had fished up from Curchill River many years earlier, and a brain cramp caused me to fling the whole works over the side, after i had bumped brother with my butt on the way by. Brother still has many laffs.

perhaps the same 'fling it over the side brain cramp' comes around every 20 years or so!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:35 AM

i did that with a 15 dollar musky buck in the river sad thing is when u reel and its not there...lol but ya i was out a muskie buck...
Old 02-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post

The camera man falling in the lake was great! Reminds me of when I lived in BC, my one buddy used to fall on the river all the time! It was hilarious! We went out coho fiddling one afternoon. I brought spare clothes and he ended up using them after falling in the vedder river! Then about an hour or two later, he managed to fall in again! Off of the exact same rock! He was always good for a few laughs! I miss the fishing in BC something fierce! I don't even fish out here in Alberta anymore! I'm way more into hunting now!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Two gooders in one day! Fly-in fishing at Andrew lake!

1. Caught a medium pike, i kept the pike in the water and was using jaw spreaders. Pulled the hook out with pliers and let him go...WITH THE SPREADERS IN HIS MOUTH!! they soon fell out and we lost our only pair of spreaders!.

2. Caught a big 20 pound pike, brought her in the boat for pictures. Pulled the hook out with pliers..then proceeded to throw the pliers over the boat into the water!

I have also done the bait and toss the hook down the ice fishing hole a few times....
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM

1. My fishing partner and I pulled up to the James River and parked. I eagerly hopped out of the passenger side of the truck, put my fly rod together, put on my waders and grabbed a couple of beers. My fishing partner wasn't moving very quickly that morning, he was still trying to get out of the truck. He realized that he'd parked with a huge puddle on his side of the truck so he fired it up backed up and moved to another spot.... both duallies rolling over my rod and reel that had been leaning against the tail gate.

2. Hooked a robin over the Bow river by the golf course in Banff. I released the little guy, but he was not impressed.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:06 PM

I was booting it across a lake in my boat to try another spot. As I stopped my heart sank as I realized I had about $200.00 worth of Repalas in my plastic case on the ledge behind me in the boat. I turned around and as I figured they were gone, the wind just lifted them out and over.

Then theres the old bit where your all excited to fish and you tie on a spanking new lure, then wind up and let her fly !! Then you realized you forgot to open the bailer and theres a nice new five of diamonds sailing threw the air with the sun shining off of it before it goes kerplunk.

Dodger.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:58 PM

You ever seen the movie Jaws where they are following the great white by the rubber bouys after they hooked. That was us at Pine when my buddy put his rod down to have a pee and pike took down his bobber and cranked the rod off the side of the boat. we spent half an hour in that bay chasing this bobber, when ever it came back up we would go over and the boat would scare him and down it would go again. we eventually snagged the line and pulled in the rod and a 7 pounder.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:05 PM

Years ago I was fishing with my Dad and 4 brothers at Canoe lake SK. and one of my brothers dared me to catch a Seagull that kept flying around our boat. So what do I proceed to do. Cast straight at him and as luck would have it the lure went right over his back and began to wrap around his body and wings. He dropped out of the sky like a chunk of lead. I then reeled him in to every ones amazement and thats when the fun started. It seems they do not like to be handled and have very sharp beaks and by the time it was all said and done there was human blood all over the inside of the boat and one happy gull to get the hell out of there.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Gone Hunting

Fishing with a buddy in a canoe on a small lake. I hooked a nice trout and when I got it close, I said "Man look at the size of this one" He leaned over to have a look and flipped the canoe. We lost all our gear but fortunately only our pride was injured.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 02-26-2011, 03:56 PM

Me and a buddy were heading to a lake that is about a hour and a half drive from home and we were half way there when we realized that we had no auger. (Normally the guy who drives brings the auger) It had been -25 all week and we were heading out on a Friday. Anyway we were lucky to have a spud bar and ended up finding some holes to chip out like a couple of morons.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:13 PM

got a fish on in travers -- pulling pretty good -- started reeling cigarette in hand - touched the mono -- never got to see the fish & lost a 7 $ rapala.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:30 PM

Guess what I did at Newell today would qualify. Had a small minnow on a hook in the left hole, and a 6 inch smelt down the right hole. Got the camera in the middle so I can swing it around and keep an eye on both baits. After a while I see a big head come into view, (no not you Jeff) see it inhale my minnow and I yank like crazy to set the single baithook I had it rigged with. Minnow comes flying up the hole, fish spits out my smelt, and away goes one of the biggest pike Ive ever seen, it was so big it made the smelt look tiny! My azz still hurts from me kicking it all day.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Let's start with my eye brows are shorter thx willow trail. Today was cold and windy and I had to run to get more propane so when I got back it was cold in the tent only had one burner on low. So when it same to change the bottles out we decided that we are good enough for a hot swap.while it was going good till we hit the valve and the burst of propane escaped. Than about 45 seconds later the lel ( lower explosive limit) of the propane was met and then we had the fire ball from h e ll inside my frabil excursion . Let's say I now have 3 mm eyebrows. Guess were were not up to it. So remember they put those warnings on the bottles for a reason .

O and I also took us an hour to find the island on lac ste Anne today .it did help when the weather cleared a bit good thing I had gps . That was a low point in my outdoor life . Been there a million times as mother in law has lot on this lake..
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_worbeck View Post
Let's start with my eye brows are shorter thx willow trail. Today was cold and windy and I had to run to get more propane so when I got back it was cold in the tent only had one burner on low. So when it same to change the bottles out we decided that we are good enough for a hot swap.while it was going good till we hit the valve and the burst of propane escaped. Than about 45 seconds later the lel ( lower explosive limit) of the propane was met and then we had the fire ball from h e ll inside my frabil excursion . Let's say I now have 3 mm eyebrows. Guess were were not up to it. So remember they put those warnings on the bottles for a reason .

O and I also took us an hour to find the island on lac ste Anne today .it did help when the weather cleared a bit good thing I had gps . That was a low point in my outdoor life . Been there a million times as mother in law has lot on this lake..
Ouch that propane incedent sounds as scary as h*ll. Glad everyone was okay.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 PM

I have an update about an inccedent that happended yesterday. My fishing parter was assiting me with dehooking a jack out of lake isle. He left his pike setup in the tent with the bait hovering off of the bottom. He comes back a few minutes later and finds his $70.00 set up missing. He relizes a jack pulled his setup into the lake.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:59 PM

Could hav been worse is the cylinder were still leaking .but we were lucky had a few things in our favor air temp vapor density luck it was net to see it was a very slow explosion . Could see it like it was slo motion .o but that did bring the temp in the tent right up.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:41 PM

I was training pilots on floats in Inuvik in 1990 and didn't know about the Mackenzie rising and flooding small lakes and then dropping drastically. Everytime I flew out of the town strip I saw this one lake and thought man theres gotta be some biguns in there. It was a hop over from the town strip, so one day I had a buddy with me and we took off on floats from the Mackenzie and landed on this lake. After fishing for about 5 minutes we realized the lake was only about less than a foot deep. We tried to take off and I couldn't get my floats on the step (where they break water and then you can take off) We were leaving mud tracks up and down the lake trying to get out and I was thinking it was gonna be a helicopter bill to get me out of this mess, when I saw these two Eskimos in a Lund boat driving at a high speed in the lake. I thought there must be a channel where they were cruising so I taxied over to where they had gone through and lit her up following their wake. We came screaming over these two poor buggers in their boat about 20 feet over their heads. My lesson was to never ever ever land in a lake you don't know.
Old 02-27-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_worbeck View Post
Could hav been worse is the cylinder were still leaking .but we were lucky had a few things in our favor air temp vapor density luck it was net to see it was a very slow explosion . Could see it like it was slo motion .o but that did bring the temp in the tent right up.
At least I kept screwing the bottle on even thouhh the propane was freezing my finger. That was quite the fireball. Reminded me of the Canada day fireworks.

Well the flames singed all the hair on both my hands and my hair and sweater stunk all night.

I grew up on that lake too amd been on it thousands of times. That island moved around on us today. Haven't been in such a bad whiteout in years.

At least we got to see some cool fish action on the Marcum today.

Note to all, turn burners off on heaters before changing second bottle on buddy heaters.

Sorry bout the eyebrows, you look good now. Just paint some new ones on for the next few weeks
Old 02-28-2011, 01:44 AM

we were kids, on the west coast, on a camping trip with the scouts, at a place called chickadee lake on denman island, and this one kid casted his rod, and the end half came off, and up and over a dead branch that was hanging over the lake about 20' and hit the water, of course we were all laughing and hegets a fish as he is reeling his rod half out of the lake. it was pretty funny to see half a rod and a fish flapping up in a tree, we managed to break the branch and got the whole rig back and the fish was released

just last year watched a friend hook himself in the meat part of his little finger after 4 days of fishing during a houseboat trip and the only fish we managed to catch, we had a guy onboad who was a paramedic but they were both so drunk it turned into a dam comedy show watching these two trying to get the hook outta his hand with a bottle of whiskey going back and forth between the two of them

we were poor when we were kids and only one of us had an acutal rod, so the rest of us took fishing line and wrapped it around hockey sticks and we would jig for bullheads and shiners at the docks in comox, we would just flip the stick around a few times to real it up. I caught a heron of some sort on a hockey stick that was diving for fish behind us, scared me at first when i seen a wing come up, i had no idea what to do next so i pulled real hard and TWANG my lure made a poof of feathers and came sailing right at me and hit me square in the balls,
Old 02-28-2011, 12:20 PM

Took my Dad down the Bow a couple of summers ago (he was visiting from Kelowna).
Nice day - catching and releasing lot's of small feisty Rainbows(spin casting), when Dad spots a brand new Rapala snagged on a rock in shallow water.

I wade out, grab it and come back to the bank. I say "...These are worth 10 bucks Dad - think I'll keep it for Pike fishing – geez the guy didn't even pinch down the barbs...".

As I bend over, my backpack slips off my shoulder, falls down, snags the Rapala and drives the hook through my ring finger and out the other side.

I tried to slip the O ring off the Rapala, but the hook was 'grinding' against the bone and hurt like hell. so we drove to the walk-in clinic and I strolled in sporting a brand new 4 3/4 inch 'Husky Jerk' attached to my left hand.

Once the receptionist stopped giggling, they brought me right in, gave me a Tetanus shot to the arm, a numbing shot to the finger, and then yanked out the hook.

Next time I'll the leave the lure for someone else to retrieve !