Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-16-2015, 10:52 AM

Default Sling Bow...

So maybe I am behind the times but stumbled on this youtube this morning.... I want I want.. lol... and my son is going to be super excited when i show him this video.

The video shows different sling shots in the beginning and then he shows the sling bow even uses a release to shoot the arrows.

http://youtu.be/BeOI3pTrsvM
Old 01-16-2015, 01:03 PM

Soooo... If the sling shot had a draw weight of 40lbs and a legal hunting arrow and broad head would this be legal to use hunting in Alberta?
Old 01-16-2015, 01:30 PM

I bought one off ebay this fall. I just used it for target shooting around hunting camp. Very fun and I have no doubt it could take big game. I don't know what poundage mine is though, it's tough to pull back! Don't know if this is a good reference but it pushes the same arrows my 60lb compound does nearly the same depth in to my foam backstop.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:11 PM

The answer is NO its not classified as a bow...Saw a neat one using the Ugly Cookie [WB] was perfect for it impressed on how it shot...

If one could get them classed as hand bows with small limbs...lol

Neil
Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
The answer is NO its not classified as a bow...Saw a neat one using the Ugly Cookie [WB] was perfect for it impressed on how it shot...

Neil
Does it not meet the requirements? LOL.

An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.).
Old 01-16-2015, 02:42 PM

Default bow oro no bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Neil
I beg to disagree..it meets the legal definition of a bow in Alberta so I would say its a bow.

"Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width."
Old 01-16-2015, 03:42 PM

Sorry I was talking about the sling shots...wont let me see U Tube on this putor

Carry on...

lol
Neil
Old 01-16-2015, 07:20 PM

Default Sling bow

While it doesn't look like a bow it meets the legal criteria. I might use it as back up for spear hunting
Old 01-19-2015, 12:55 PM

That's awesome. There is some crazy stuff out there. There is a guy over in the UK that seems to love anything sling shot. He's even made some sort of semi auto sling shot witch hunter. lol.. It shot off over 900+ rounds in a few seconds. Thinking about it he kinda looked like "Despicable Me" lol..

Tags
archery, arrows, bow, slingshot